What's wrong with "added sugar"?

13»

Replies

• emmanap91
    emmanap91 Posts: 300 Member
    I hate when people use the "there's no nutritional benefit to added sugar" argument. It's like saying you shouldn't play video games unless you work in that field because it doesn't directly benefit your life or career. If it makes you happy and isn't hurting you, there's nothing wrong with enjoying it every now and then.

I love this comparison, I will use it next time someone tries to sugar-shame me :D
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    LoupGarouTFTs Posts: 916 Member
    http://fedupmovie.com/#/page/home

This documentary is all about Sugar and it's role in American diets.

Certainly an unbiased source

I wonder if the science behind the film is as *cough* excellent as that behind An Inconvenient Truth?
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    I hate when people use the "there's no nutritional benefit to added sugar" argument. It's like saying you shouldn't play video games unless you work in that field because it doesn't directly benefit your life or career. If it makes you happy and isn't hurting you, there's nothing wrong with enjoying it every now and then.

I love this comparison, I will use it next time someone tries to sugar-shame me :D

Or the concept of throw pillows. Why bother? They are "empty furnishings" and totally unnecessary IMO.
  • emmanap91

Or the concept of throw pillows. Why bother? They are "empty furnishings" and totally unnecessary IMO.

That doesn't work as well for me. I love video games, but I could take or leave throw pillows. What about music? Much as some would like to argue, humans don't need music to survive.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member

Comparison is ridiculous. Sugar compared to video games/throw pillows?? Now ya'll are stretching.. :laugh:
  • emmanap91

Comparison is ridiculous. Sugar compared to video games/throw pillows?? Now ya'll are stretching.. :laugh:

What comparison would you use?
  • ebrggqe
    ebrggqe Posts: 8 Member
    Theres nothing wrong with natural sugar..

Just remeber that:
    Simple carbohydrates have a high glycemic index.
    Refined sugars have no other nturients and this accelerates it's absortion...
    Liquid sugars have an accelerated absortion, and you dont get fullness sensation in the same way...
    Some products have too much added sugar and... "There's a limit of recomended sugar consumtion"

For example:
    (taken from heart[dot]org)
    The American Heart Association recommends that no more than half of your daily discretionary calorie allowance come from added sugars. For most American women, this is no more than 100 calories per day (about 6 teaspoons). For men, it’s no more than 150 calories per day (about 9 teaspoons).

(taken from sugarstacks[dot]com/beverages.htm)
    A Classic Cola SODA:
    12 oz (355 ml) Can
    Sugars, total: 39g
    Calories, total: 140
    Calories from sugar: 140*
  • Biggirllittledreams
    Biggirllittledreams Posts: 306 Member

"empty calories" ain't no such animal.

If it has calories, it provides energy, it it provides energy it isn't empty.

You're right: empty calories do in fact provide energy. Outside of water and such, everything has energy regardless of what exactly you're consuming.

The 'empty' part of the phrase 'empty calories' is talking about the fact that these foods' don't provide nutrients in those allotted calories. They never claimed to be calories that were void of energy.

Sugar is a nutrient, stricto sensu.

I was talking about nutrients outside of sugar. Obviously it provides you with the glucose your body needs for energy, but i was talking in terms of minerals, trace minerals, phytochemicals and other sources of macronutrients outside of refined sugar...
  • Biggirllittledreams
    Biggirllittledreams Posts: 306 Member

"empty calories" ain't no such animal.

If it has calories, it provides energy, it it provides energy it isn't empty.

You're right: empty calories do in fact provide energy. Outside of water and such, everything has energy regardless of what exactly you're consuming.

The 'empty' part of the phrase 'empty calories' is talking about the fact that these foods' don't provide micro nutrients in those allotted calories. They never claimed to be calories that were void of energy.

Sugar is a nutrient, stricto sensu.

Edited for clearer understanding! :smile:

Thank you for clarifying! I'm quite exhausted and sick so my ability to articulate is lacking this morning, haha.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    I weaned myself from most added sugar years ago. The first departure was sweet tea. Then I discovered some really good tasting tea out there. I doubt it would help anyone to hear my thoughts on processed sugar. So I’ll leave it at this; when I consider the calories and nutritional benefit of adding a tablespoon of brown sugar to my oatmeal, I think Wow! I could have had a V8. It’s a personal choice.

Eat all the added sugar you want. If you’re not happy with the result, change.

34 cals?

I certainly wouldn't put a V-8 in oatmeal. Blech.

This is exactly it. That the calories from sugar can add up or that it's entirely possible to eat more sugar than is ideal as part of a healthy diet does not explain the assertion that seems common that we should eschew all "added" sugar or assume that ever eating it is some kind of weakness that in a more desireable state we would cheerfully forego.

For example, I made a rhubarb sauce for pork chops last night. I added a teaspoon of sugar (16 calories) and also started the various components in olive oil (not that much, but more than double the sugar calories). The fact is that I really like rhubarb, but think that adding a bit of sugar makes it taste better. Why is this bad or something that I should consider inherently unhealthy?
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member

It's not stretching. If something isn't harmful and is enjoyable, it's not bad to have it. Sugar, etc. Would you give up watching any TV at all because it doesn't improve your life? I doubt it.
  • tl_dr
    tl_dr Posts: 96
    I love it all indiscriminately. :3
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Theres nothing wrong with natural sugar..

Just remeber that:
    Simple carbohydrates have a high glycemic index.
    Refined sugars have no other nturients and this accelerates it's absortion...
    Liquid sugars have an accelerated absortion, and you dont get fullness sensation in the same way...
    Some products have too much added sugar and... "There's a limit of recomended sugar consumtion"

For example:
    (taken from heart[dot]org)
    The American Heart Association recommends that no more than half of your daily discretionary calorie allowance come from added sugars. For most American women, this is no more than 100 calories per day (about 6 teaspoons). For men, it’s no more than 150 calories per day (about 9 teaspoons).

(taken from sugarstacks[dot]com/beverages.htm)
    A Classic Cola SODA:
    12 oz (355 ml) Can
    Sugars, total: 39g
    Calories, total: 140
    Calories from sugar: 140*
    http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/76/1/5.full

Notice how the GI value for foods varies within the same food type by the person being tested? That appears to be a problem with the science behind the glycemic index.
  • Confuzzled4ever

It's not stretching. If something isn't harmful and is enjoyable, it's not bad to have it. Sugar, etc. Would you give up watching any TV at all because it doesn't improve your life? I doubt it.

haha.. yep. i don't watch TV. Don't have cable, not hooked into my wall, no bunny ears. Despite my enjoyment of watching "the voice" and really really missing football. I also don't play video games or have throw pillows. Still not relevant to a conversation about health and nutrition.
  • emmanap91

haha.. yep. i don't watch TV. Don't have cable, not hooked into my wall, no bunny ears. Despite my enjoyment of watching "the voice" and really really missing football. I also don't play video games or have throw pillows. Still not relevant to a conversation about health and nutrition.

The point isn't the TV. The point is that entertainment/enjoyment and pleasure in general is inherently valuable and therefore giving things up because they don't offer anything further than pleasure is ridiculous and unnecessary. Sugar in moderation is fine, just like TV, video games, and throw pillows (though some would argue that you can never have too many throw pillows).

EDIT - plus, sugar is necessary to survival, unlike TV, video games, and throw pillows. So there's that as well.
  • Confuzzled4ever

EDIT - plus, sugar is necessary to survival, unlike TV, video games, and throw pillows. So there's that as well.

yes.. a normal amount that is easily derived from eating un-messed with foods such as fruit and veggies grown the way they were intended to grow.. Not the quantity most American consume each day due to all the added sugars.

I agree... Sugar essential, TV not essential = no valuable comparison. Thank you for illustrating that for me.
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member

I agree... Sugar essential, TV not essential = no valuable comparison. Thank you for illustrating that for me.

I like your selective quoting. Why did you ignore this part?
    The point is that entertainment/enjoyment and pleasure in general is inherently valuable and therefore giving things up because they don't offer anything further than pleasure is ridiculous and unnecessary. Sugar in moderation is fine, just like TV, video games, and throw pillows (though some would argue that you can never have too many throw pillows).
  • Confuzzled4ever

The point is that entertainment/enjoyment and pleasure in general is inherently valuable and therefore giving things up because they don't offer anything further than pleasure is ridiculous and unnecessary. Sugar in moderation is fine, just like TV, video games, and throw pillows (though some would argue that you can never have too many throw pillows).

Because..TV has nothing, zero, nada, zilch to do with food and nutrition. The argument around sugar has to do with these things. If you want to eat a pound of sugar because you derive pleasure from it, then fine go ahead, but that's not the argument presented. 2 completely different concepts. It's like comparing apples to rulers.

ETA: You realize you also are guilty of "selective quoting" leaving out over half of my statement. Pot meet kettle :drinker:
  • lemonsnowdrop
    I wasn't directly comparing sugar to video games. I was comparing how some people say you shouldn't eat sugar because it has no nutritional benefits to how some people say you shouldn't play video games because there are no benefits. I was simply stating that you shod enjoy something because you enjoy it, not because it directly impacts or improves your life.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member

Because..TV has nothing, zero, nada, zilch to do with food and nutrition. The argument around sugar has to do with these things. If you want to eat a pound of sugar because you derive pleasure from it, then fine go ahead, but that's not the argument presented. 2 completely different concepts. It's like comparing apples to rulers.

ETA: You realize you also are guilty of "selective quoting" leaving out over half of my statement. Pot meet kettle :drinker:
    Analogies are a thing.
  • lemonsnowdrop

Analogies are a thing.

Thank you!
  • emmanap91

Analogies are a thing.

Thank you!

Good lord, someone got a bit salty and reported my previous post for pointing out some confusion. cheers! :drinker:

Regardless, you're totally right, analogies are very much a thing.
  • Carley
    Carley Posts: 88
    I limit sugar for personal reasons. But when you eat a lot of packaged foods, the amount of sugar can quickly add up. Look at all the disease on the rise.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Good lord, someone got a bit salty and reported my previous post for pointing out some confusion. cheers! drinker

Just for the record.. someone was not me.. I don't even know how to report people. And I don't see the need for it. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, whether I agree with it or not.