Cheat meal vs. indulgence

Options
I had a good conversation with my trainer last night about cheat meals - I had a day that I struggled on Sunday - stayed under my calories but didn't necessarily get my calories from healthy sources.

He says a cheat meal is great - but to me - a cheat meal is a planned event. Making a conscious decision to have a meal of indulgence. I say what I did - eating a cookie every time I walked through the kitchen - wasn't a cheat meal - it was a weakness.
Trying to make that shift from weakness - to planned moments....

Thoughts?

Replies

• Aussie_in_PA
    Aussie_in_PA Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Are the cookies in the house because of others?

I personally find that having good fats like fish oil (not capsules, e.g. Carson's) - keeps all those cravings to almost zero and if I have a cookie, it fits my daily goals and I don't think about it again for weeks.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I had a good conversation with my trainer last night about cheat meals - I had a day that I struggled on Sunday - stayed under my calories but didn't necessarily get my calories from healthy sources.

He says a cheat meal is great - but to me - a cheat meal is a planned event. Making a conscious decision to have a meal of indulgence. I say what I did - eating a cookie every time I walked through the kitchen - wasn't a cheat meal - it was a weakness.

Thoughts?

Define healthy sources? Generally foods don't exist in a vacuum, so how do they fit into the context of your entire diet.
  • sadrithmora
    sadrithmora Posts: 121
    Options
    I personally find that having good fats like fish oil (not capsules, e.g. Carson's) - keeps all those cravings to almost zero and if I have a cookie, it fits my daily goals and I don't think about it again for weeks.

Exactly this. It was horrible controlling my cravings (especially since my husband isn't on a diet), but after switching to low carb and introducing more fats, all the cravings disappeared. Now I have one planned 'cheat' meal a week, but lately I wasn't even finishing them because I didn't want them (talking about cake here, btw). Which surprised me to no end the first time it happened, since I've always had incredibly sweet tooth.
  • _sirenofthesea_
    _sirenofthesea_ Posts: 117 Member
    Options

Thoughts?

Define healthy sources? Generally foods don't exist in a vacuum, so how do they fit into the context of your entire diet.

Maybe my comment should have been nutritional - I'm trying to lose weight, so getting my calories from veggies, protein, and fruit seems better than from 'empty calories' in a cookie.

I don't have a lot in my house - my 15 year old daughter and her friend baked them.

I'm most frustrated in my not being able to resist - and visiting why I can't -
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options

Thoughts?

Log it and include it in your day. Viewing a cookie as a "weakness" implies it is inherently "bad." If you want it, eat it. A "cheat day" shouldn't exist if you include the things you like in your everyday foods. Trainers aren't always the best equipped to handle nutrition advice.
  • tmdpotts
    tmdpotts Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Always find myself looking at something I should not eat and sometimes I just enjoy it and move on. I find it better to slip up early in the day to then track it and use it as motivation in my workout. Ate 3 huge peanut butter cup cookies, doing extra drop sets after each exercise.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Very technical. Too technical. Simplify it. Eat at a deficit. It doesnt matter how it is done.

Cheat meal is a made-up opinionated term. If you ate cookies all day but ate at a deficit, then how is that cheating?
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Just eat the cookie and make it fit in your calories!
  • Varcolaci
    Varcolaci Posts: 15
    Options
    I think it is mostly about coming up at the end of the day with the right numbers. Make sure to log everything you eat. I have only been on here a few days, but I am already seeing that I kind of get a nagging in the back of my head if I want a cookie or something, reminding me of how many calories I have left today. So it's like I am guilted into making the right decision. For example, my daily fat goal is 65g. I was going to put pecans in my oatmeal this morning - 20g of fat - but I went for almonds because the same amount is 15g fat. When I see that cookie that is 400 calories all by itself, I amk myself if it is worth skipping lunch completely, and being hungry all day? I know once I eat lunch the craving will go away.

Also, it helps that I live alone, so I do not keep any junk food in the house to be tempted with. For me, "cheating" is little tricks like this that I use to KEEP from eating the cookie. Actually having the cookie teeters on the edge of failing, and I am determined. I don't want to fail.
  • _sirenofthesea_
    Options

Thoughts?

Log it and include it in your day. Viewing a cookie as a "weakness" implies it is inherently "bad." If you want it, eat it. A "cheat day" shouldn't exist if you include the things you like in your everyday foods. Trainers aren't always the best equipped to handle nutrition advice.

I did log it.
    I guess I'm feeling guilty because of it.
    And while I know the cookie isn't the root source of my issue, I want to want this worse than a cookie.
  • _sirenofthesea_
    Options
    Always find myself looking at something I should not eat and sometimes I just enjoy it and move on. I find it better to slip up early in the day to then track it and use it as motivation in my workout. Ate 3 huge peanut butter cup cookies, doing extra drop sets after each exercise.

I did sort of adapt this premise - Not the day of the indulgence, but yesterday killed my day with nutrition and busted my *kitten* at the gym - so I would say I 'redeemed' myself by feeling awesome about my day yesterday.

I just ate the cookie - and it didn't do much for me besides making me frustrated. I wanna be that girl with the umph to just walk past the cookie when it's really not doing anything for me but adding calories to my day.
  • _sirenofthesea_
    Options
    Because I tend to pre-log my meals and snacks, I understand your concern if you "just couldn't resist" and you were actually trying to resist. That being said, I have dessert almost everyday after dinner. I plan for it so that it fits my nutrients. I don't plan on going without dessert for the rest of my life, so I've learned to fit it into my daily diet. I wouldn't worry about eating a couple cookies, especially if it fit within your calories. Next time, just work on making it fit your macros as well.

That's exactly it - you plan for it - and to me that's the real 'cheat meal' idea.
    I planned for something else and didn't stick to my plan - so because of that - in my head it was something detrimental to my success.

Be nice now - "in my head" might be a little off, but I like me - LOL
  • aliwhalen
    aliwhalen Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    On the other side, I knew we were planning to have pizza and cupcakes at a birthday party. I ate really healthily all day, got a workout in to defray some of the calories too. Time came for pizza and it just...wasn't that good. I had built it up, and even though I USUALLY love pizza, I ate it and didn't feel that emotional connection I used to feel with food. I didn't even eat a cupcake either, I saved my extra calories for a glass of wine. It was a crazy birthday party with like 30 kids and I had to chase my 19 month old twins around for two hours. The glass of wine, although relatively spontaneous, was damn good ;)

I'd say don't feel guilty about it. The way I try to arrange my calories in a given day is that I log them, and if I want to eat a chocolate chip cookie, then I have to realize that THAT is probably replacing a sizable salad with my favorite (naturally) low-calorie dressing. So, is the cookie more worth it because I want something sweet, or I'm feeling emotionally vulnerable? Or is the salad more worth it because it's a filling and nutritious option? I think each day the answer could change. And I think that should be okay.
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    LoupGarouTFTs Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    Because I tend to pre-log my meals and snacks, I understand your concern if you "just couldn't resist" and you were actually trying to resist. That being said, I have dessert almost everyday after dinner. I plan for it so that it fits my nutrients. I don't plan on going without dessert for the rest of my life, so I've learned to fit it into my daily diet. I wouldn't worry about eating a couple cookies, especially if it fit within your calories. Next time, just work on making it fit your macros as well.

I do the same thing as you. I try to pre-log my meals for the day whenever I can. I also plan a "treat" for my bedtime snack every night, when I take my metformin: a banana with peanut butter, a cup of light yogurt, no sugar added ice cream, sugar-free cookies and the like. I might have Type II diabetes, but I have no plans to deprive myself for the rest of my life. Daily treats that fit into my meal plan reduce the desire to have unplanned treats.

As to consuming the cookies: log it, move on (and freeze the remaining cookies, if there are any left).
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options

Thoughts?

I did log it.
    I guess I'm feeling guilty because of it.
    And while I know the cookie isn't the root source of my issue, I want to want this worse than a cookie.
    Maybe that's the part you need to work on. That, and the "all or nothing" thinking. It doesn't have to be lose weight or eat a cookie; get fit or eat a cookie; be healthy or eat a cookie; have a balanced, nutritious diet or eat a cookie.

I'm not trying to make light of your feelings, and these are issues that a lot of us struggle with. Obviously, if for whatever reason you decided that you didn't want to eat any cookies that day, and could not stop yourself from doing do, or you absolutely only planned to eat one, and you somehow ended up eating 20 - then there is an issue there with restraint and self-control. It's not the end of the world though, new habits take time to become ingrained. Moderation takes practice. I have got so much better at resisting temptation (and giving into temptation where appropriate) and really, not even being tempted by a lot of the things I used to, but I am aware that there are areas I struggle with more than others. For example, I love to bake, but I know that when I'm baking cookies or whatever, I do find it a little harder to stick to my planned intake for the day. I work with it - I assume that there will be some "tasting" going on while baking, and account for that in my diary. And then I just work that extra bit harder on self restraint that day.

Oh, and I don't really go in for the whole "cheat meal" labelling - just doesn't do anything for me. I eat food. I eat a lot of nutritious food, and some of the food I eat is more for pleasure rather than it's nutritional profile. It's all just food though.

This stuff doesn't happen overnight, but you can change habits, and one of the most important ones to change (imo) is to stop beating yourself up when you eat something you didn't plan to, or eat more than you planned to. So you had a cookie (or a few)... that doesn't mean you aren't going to reach your weight loss/health/fitness goals. We are genetically programmed to want to eat food, and to be drawn to certain types of food in particular. Of course homemade freshly baked cookies are tempting. Give yourself a break. :flowerforyou:
  • brando79az
    brando79az Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I don't know if you are at your healthy weight but if you are over your healthy weight I think it would be more important to focus on calorie deficiency than to focus on nutruition. Nutrition is definitely important but there are so many greater health benefits to weight loss. If you are struggling to acheive "healthy weight" then keep your diet simple, keep your eye on the prize, and don't worry so much about nutrition (for now.) You neen protein to keep muscle so don't ONLY eat cookies lol but otherwise focus on calorie deficit, eat a multi-vitamin and enjoy yourself. :)
  • _sirenofthesea_
    Options
    I don't know if you are at your healthy weight but if you are over your healthy weight I think it would be more important to focus on calorie deficiency than to focus on nutruition. Nutrition is definitely important but there are so many greater health benefits to weight loss. If you are struggling to acheive "healthy weight" then keep your diet simple, keep your eye on the prize, and don't worry so much about nutrition (for now.) You neen protein to keep muscle so don't ONLY eat cookies lol but otherwise focus on calorie deficit, eat a multi-vitamin and enjoy yourself. :)

I just giggled because my trainer would have a stroke - LOL
    Yes, I'm trying to lose weight and am far from a healthy weight.

Trying to get away from that all or nothing mentality - but I'm focused and sometimes that freaky OCD part of me helps with that - LOL
  • prgirl39mfp
    prgirl39mfp Posts: 3,154 Member
    Options
    Feeling guilty is understandable. Soon you will conquer the guilt and enjoy indulging on cookies with no regrets.
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options

Thoughts?
    Out of sight, out of mind.
    Put those things in a place you wont easily access them and if someone in the house wants it, they can search and get it out.
    My "cheat" meal doesnt necessarily have to be bad food. My cheat meal every week to ten days is a big, juicy steak, baked potatoe butter and sour cream. YUM. A cheat meal doesnt have to be of the junk food variety, and the days I DO plan the cheat meal I usually dont have much else that day.
    So in the end I get the benefits of that cheat meal mentally, yet still stay around a maintain caloric intake. Win-Win.
  • cryptonyt
    cryptonyt Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    You said fresh baked cookies?? Who can resist that?!?! LOL I totally understand, and have been there too I find I convince, myself by saying "It's only one. What's the harm?" Then I say that to myself 5 more times in the day, and voila 500 calories later, and no nutrients to show for it. :-) I agree with you, that it is a weakness, we are only human. The fact that you can identify the weakness, may help you avoid it in the future. From my personal perspective, I am just glad that I don't eat half a bag of Decadent chocolate chip cookies in one sitting anymore. There was a time when I thought nothing of it. If you are the same, then be happy that you recognize these are empty calories, and you are working toward reducing and cutting these. I say good job! :bigsmile: