Weight lifting glove reviews

Options
13»

Replies

• amybg1
    amybg1 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    I have a pair that I've never used, they are a pair of Tempo Fitness gloves - I like to have them on hand just in case for some reason there's a power outage at the gym which so far has never happened but my end of the city has weird power outages occasionally, especially in the winter and sometimes your skin sticking to cold metal vs wearing gloves...I'd go for the gloves. I LOVE my calluses though, mine never get big either and like a previous poster said, I like to lift without them because of some RL situations - I'm not opposed to them I just think you might want to try with and without, use chalk if your palms get particularly sweaty, etc.

Other than a false sense of security, the other reason why I don't wear them is my body temp isn't "normal" and I overheat easily/body heat production shoots up in the cooler months dramatically and stabilizes in the warmer months and I'm in the middle of those 2 stages right now. So no gloves=I can spread my...hotness
  • random_user75
    random_user75 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    If you're getting callouses, you're doing it wrong.

^^^^ this

Mark Rippetoe has a video on you tube that shows how to grip the bar to prevent callous development. I'd recommend it to anyone who lifts.

I'll have to dig this up. I recently started getting callouses as I increased weight but didn't find it surprising. I figured, if I have a callous just from wearing a wedding ring or using a chef's knife (I cook for fun, not for work), why not weights? That said, I can easily believe there's something off with my grip, what with my fabulous newbieness.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTqNSgCmM2s

There's also one on managing callouses, you can youtube that yourself.

Thanks. I'll ponder grip during tomorrow's session.

Edited because I wasn't paying attention to where the cursor was.
  • Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    Ya I don't really get the gloves make your grip weaker thing, I can see how using a wrap would obviously not allow your grip to strengthen but not gloves. Can someone explain the logic behind the theory of how gloves weaken your grip i.e. stop your grip from getting stronger?

I wear gloves for all my lifts except the heaviest of deadlifts and rope climbing. On the bodybuilding forum those against gloves seem to be of the troglodyte variety giving reasons like "they aren't manly" etc

Gloves don't make your hands weaker but they limit the amount you can grip while you are wearing them. They also aren't allowed in any type of lifting competition (powerlifting, olympic lifting, strongman, not sure about crossfit). So, if your goal is to develop a large deadlift, clean, snatch, etc.... it is better to use chalk than gloves. If you're just someone who likes to "work out" and aren't training for anything I don't see a problem with wearing them. Although when guys wear them I usually think they should just grow a pair. I guess I'm a troglodyte for not worrying about my pretty hands.
  • nicki_lynne
    nicki_lynne Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    My issue is with slipping. My hands / fingers slide right off the bars. Especially with hanging leg raises - I can not complete my sets before slipping. I must have oily skin. I'm not to concerned with calluses except that they make rowing and some higher rep weighted exercises more difficult to complete with higher weight / intensity. I would try chalk but it is not allowed at the gym.
  • LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    I have never worked out at a gym that allows chalk, so I use gloves (men's Harbinger - I have large hands for a woman).
  • rxstronger
    rxstronger Posts: 4
    edited March 2015
    Options
    No, I don't use these them. Because I always preferred the best gloves. And my suggestion is first seen that review(glove review) then chooses the best one.
  • rxstronger
    rxstronger Posts: 4
    edited March 2015
    Options
    No, I don't use these them. Because I always preferred the best gloves. And my suggestion is first seen that review(glove review) then chooses the best one.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Lol at the RX spam.

Gloves can both reduce grip (receptor sensitivity, additonal slip surface, fit, diameter...) or improve grip (reduced pain, etc...). My hands are relatively soft right now, but I get a lot of abrasion, cuts and other damage from climbing sometimes and gloves may help.
    I prefer to be gloveless for basic lifts but do try to use gloves in some upper body outside workouts or tough mudder training.
    I use the mechanix gloves. I'd buy them again.
  • flabassmcgee
    flabassmcgee Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I don't see why anyone would be outright against gloves. I use a cheapo pair I got at Five Below. I've found it helps me with gripping rather than hindering.
  • Soundwave79
    Soundwave79 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Great thread. I'm looking for new gloves that have ample padding in the palms. Ever since I started Body Beast 4 weeks ago my palms have been screaming in pain from bearing the weight of the dumbbells. I'm currently looking at these:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00Q8NK6MU/ref=gno_cart_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATH51J1IZT4F9

or these:

http://www.amazon.com/Weightlifting-Gloves-Crossfit-Workout-Training/dp/B00LQU0BWK/ref=lh_ni_t?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1YOF8JIB3M9EK

Anyone have either of those and care to share a review? I'm leaning more towards the Combat Grip model.