How often do you have baked potato?

Options
13»

Replies

• bomftdrum
    bomftdrum Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I have some form of potato several times a week. My favorite though is roasting them with evoo and cayenne pepper. It gives them a nice kick.
  • cheexy85
    cheexy85 Posts: 119
    Options
    I had some jacket potatoes yesterday. I use Maris Piper potatoes and was surprised when i put two on a scale. They came up at about 610g which worked out at about 432 calories. I had it with cheese and baked beans. I ended up not finishing the two though cos I was absolutely stuffed. You have to be absolutely sure of the weight and how many calories so you don't go thinking that you are taking in fewer calories than reality.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    I don't make mine bad. 1 potato (110 cal) , 1 tbl if yogurt butter (40 cal) , some salt and pepper, maybe a little cheese (30 cal)?
    Love a spud, me! I'm probably done with them until autumn/winter though.

I'd try weighing your ingredients, though. A very modest potato is around 240 calories, and 30g of cheddar is 125.
  • Nedra19455
    Nedra19455 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Wow! This thread is really making me think twice about potatoes. I always thought they weren't great for you because of being high on the glycemic index. I remember my mom telling me that a baked white potato will spike your blood sugar more than a tablespoon of actual sugar. Is all of that a myth? Or is it just a myth that any of that is a problem for weightloss?
  • wannakimmy
    wannakimmy Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    Love them as well, but I make sure I weigh them to get an accurate logging number. There are so many ways to cook a potato, I'm not easily bored with them.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Potatoes are fine for you. I have them as often as I can fit into my calories, as I adore them loaded with butter and sour cream!
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    Not very often. I love restaurant baked potatoes, but making them at home always leaves me a little disappointed, no matter who cooked it. Also, I like my baked potatoes loaded and, if I ate it that way on a regular day, that would be my entire dinner's worth of calories. I don't enjoy them enough to use up 400ish calories on one potato. Same with sweet potatoes - the ones at Outback or Longhorn, oh yes, the ones at home, no thanks.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    Wow! This thread is really making me think twice about potatoes. I always thought they weren't great for you because of being high on the glycemic index. I remember my mom telling me that a baked white potato will spike your blood sugar more than a tablespoon of actual sugar. Is all of that a myth? Or is it just a myth that any of that is a problem for weightloss?

It's a myth that it's a problem for weight loss. I don't know if the blood sugar thing is true, but weight loss is calories in vs. calories out. That's it. No food is "bad." If you're eating at a caloric deficit, it doesn't matter if you're eating it all in Cheetos and lettuce, you'll still lose weight.
  • robmac13h
    robmac13h Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    i have a baked potato once a week with cheese, haggis or chicken curry on it
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    I rarely have them as I'm too inpatient to wait an hour to bake one, and microwaved just isn't as good. When I'm at my grandad's and they have been slow cooked in the Aga - amazing.

Tuna and cheese on mine :happy:
  • bethira
    bethira Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    For everyone that doesn't want to wait as long for the potatoes to bake, try this slice your potatoes into 1/4" slices but don't slice the whole way through, stop about 1/4" before the bottom of your potato. Bake it that way and it bakes up much faster than a traditional baked potato. Top it with some cheese or bacon and it's like a fancy restaurant potato and all it took was a little extra slicing.

I would live on 'taters if I could. I also love to slice them fairly thick and grill them with a little rosemary and thyme. Yum! It's 6:46am ... too early for potatoes? Because now I'm hungry for potatoes.
  • tiggerhammon
    tiggerhammon Posts: 2,211 Member
    Options
    Why aren't potatoes great for you? Do you have actual evidence or studies corroborating this, or are you just saying what you heard someone who read a Cosmo article that one time say?

I have always heard that. So I tried switching to sweet potato and I just cant do it. Now, if your about to tell me potatoes are good for me.... Your my new bff! Lol

There's nothing wrong with white potatoes.

Some weeks I have one every night and I eat it with butter or cheese.

And, what is wrong with red potatoes? They are similar to others in vitamin, mineral and nutritional content - the red potato is lower in calorie, albeit a bit lower in fiber too though.

My favorite is the red potato. Served warm with butter, sour cream, cheese, bacon and herbs. Or, as a chili cheese potato.
  • maryjay52
    maryjay52 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    im a potato frnatic so im careful with eating them because its like an addiction.. love any kind of potato especially baked!
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options

That may or may not be true, but I'm pretty sure that's only really a problem if you're Diabetic?
  • Nathalia2009
    Nathalia2009 Posts: 75 Member
    Options

That may or may not be true, but I'm pretty sure that's only really a problem if you're Diabetic?

I think it might be a concern if your a diabetic (sugar wise). My mom is and is not allowed white potatoes. She is only allowed to eat sweet potatoes.
  • tectactoe
    tectactoe Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Sour cream, butter, garlic salt, pepper, bacon crumbles, & green onion is the way to go.

Some times ranch + hot sauce floats my potato boat, too.
  • Nedra19455
    Nedra19455 Posts: 241 Member
    Options

I think it might be a concern if your a diabetic (sugar wise). My mom is and is not allowed white potatoes. She is only allowed to eat sweet potatoes.

Good to know! I prefer sweet potatoes anyway, but now and then I like a good baked potato. My grandma had type 2 diabetes, so my mom and I have always been anxious about the glycemic index. I always figured if it was healthy for diabetics it would be even healthier for me, but I think it makes sense that it wouldn't be a big deal as long as you don't actually have that condition.