Eating six 'mini' meals instead of three regular meals

Options

Replies

• mike_ny
    mike_ny Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Calorie-wise it makes no difference how you consume them over a day.

Spacing out nutrients seems like it should make them available more when your body needs them especially things that don't stay in your bloodstream for extended periods. If your body excretes an excess of something it doesn't need currently, then it isn't available for later when it does need it. That's a no-brainer. Studies are all over the map on the right number of meals, but it seems to be common sense that more than one meal a day is healthier than one mega meal.

Eating small mini-meals, especially ones high in protein, fats, and fiber do help a lot of people (myself included) from feeling hungry throughout the day. They take longer to digest and slow down digestion of carbs so they don't have that sugar spike and drop that can make one feel hungry an hour after eating. So, it does have a lot to do in what those mini-meals are made of.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Hi guys, basically the nutritionist at my gym told me that I was eating way too little and that I should eat four meals a day + snacks. So today I started with a plan of eating six mini meals. Can anyone tell me if this is the way to go?
    Possibly a good strategy if you're not eating enough.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

This is a good point.

If you naturally eat 2 meals a day, but you're only getting 1200 calories and you need 1600, then you need to add at least a meal.

Conversely, I'd say 6 is too many, since that's been pointed out to be 250 calories per "meal."

There are numbers in between that, though.

I tried the 6 meal thing. I was miserable, in part because I never felt hunger, and without feeling hunger, I never felt satisfied. There wasn't really any change between before and after a "meal."

Conversely, I tried the 2 meal thing. That actually felt good for the most part, except for the fact that I was eating way too little, and couldn't fuel my workouts. The problem was that I wasn't hungry and couldn't eat enough at the two meals I had.

I've personally found that my sweet spot is 3 meals and no snacks. I can even tell when my macros are off for me, even without tracking, because I'll either not want to eat, or feel constantly hungry.

Assuming you're eating the same amount of calories, the number of meals don't matter for purposes of weight loss. However, it can have an effect on your hunger and satiety levels, which can make it harder or easier to over or under eat. Losing weight doesn't have to be a constant battle with your body, so if you're struggling with a particular tactic for more than about two weeks (two weeks to a month is usually the recommended adjustment period for dietary changes), then odds are, that particular tactic isn't right for you.
  • bunkahes
    bunkahes Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    yes, 6 small meals a day will balance you out
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    There's no right or wrong. I do 3 large meals and maybe a snack or two every day. If I do "small meals" I'm CONSTANTLY hungry and thinking about food. Some people like doing the smaller meals, but to lose weight it's all about calories in vs calories out, so eat them whenever and however you want.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I eat 3 at 500 calories and 3 snacks at 200-300 calories. I total 2100 calories a day right now as I am losing weight. I find it controllable and do-able. 250 calorie meals isn't going to happen. I would focus on your macros though to make sure you control fat and get enough protein - carbs fall in place by default of watching the others.

Fat is an essential nutrient, there's not really any need to "control" it. It doesn't make you gain weight if you're maintaining the calorie levels you need (barring endocrine malfunctions that screw with how the body handles certain energy sources), and you can't go over calories if you base your macronutrient numbers as a percentage of your total calories (won't happen, even if you somehow managed to do 100% fat). There are many, many people on here who have had success both in weight loss and in health increases, who keep their fat intake above 50% (and some as high as 70%).

Control your intake inasmuch as you're controlling your caloric intake, but that goes for all of the macronutrients. Find the ratio that gets you enough protein to minimize muscle loss, and helps keep you from feeling starved, while still getting all of the nutrients you need.

Just....no.
  • Asherah29
    Asherah29 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    You have to find what works for you. With weight loss and fitness there is no one size fits all. Personally I can't do numerous small meals a day, the leave me constantly hungry, bloated and with zero energy (I get sleepy after I eat). What works well for me is two large meals a day with a small snack if I happen to be hungry. I'm usually not but occasionally there's a day when I need a little something extra.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    A calorie is a calorie. You can eat all of them in one sitting. You can eat them in 3 meals, 6 meals, 8 meals. You can eat one bite an hour for the entire day. You can eat them while sitting. You can eat them in boat. You can eat them with a goat.
  • jtrack3d
    jtrack3d Posts: 91
    Options
    Eating shouldn't be our enemy. If it is, then I have already lost.

If I divided my meals into 6, it would be difficult to find something I want to eat, let along in a quantity I want to eat it. I still wanna like eating!

It has to work for you or it's working against you. If 6 is great for you... do it. If 3 is better... do that. Is it optimum? Probably not... but if you are trying to make a lifestyle change it has to work for you and fit your life pattern.

For me, I like 3 + 2 snacks.
  • outdoorslife
    outdoorslife Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    No chocolate? Bunk. Like others have pointed it out, its not just calories but the protein, fat, carb ratio's and the overall concept of macro's. There are some great forums here that will explain it much better than a quick post, you should check them out!

For myself, I have setup breakfast, lunch dinner, with snacks inbetween. Given I am in front of a computer 12hr a day 5 days a week + 2hr roundtrip commute time, I am on the sedentary side. So I am at 1680 calories a day... it's maintaining/slowly loosing weight for me. It works for me. I make sure I have a solid breakfast.. needs to be about 400 calories , then 200 calories for the snacks. Need to not be hungry, if I am hungry I binge. I do have stuff occasionally like potato chips, but they return on calories isn't great, so its shifted a lot to nuts, fruits and fiber stuff.

You need to try to find what works for you... If you need a piece of chocolate (say 100 calories) a day to keep from munching down the whole bar, then put in that piece and allot for it. It's okay... It's only bad when we starting eating at a surplus and not exercising it off... ergo... too much weight.

Good luck!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Hi guys, basically the nutritionist at my gym told me that I was eating way too little and that I should eat four meals a day + snacks. So today I started with a plan of eating six mini meals. Can anyone tell me if this is the way to go?

He's a "bro", & has no idea what he's talking about.

All that matters is if you reach your caloric daily intake... and your macros before you go to sleep at night.... and get 8 hours of rest, at least.

Eat when YOU want, what you want, and how you want.
    While true when it comes to weight loss, the suggestion was made because OP eats TOO LITTLE.

IDEA Fitness member
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

this.

there is a reason why bodybuilders eat regularly through the day- and set alarms to wake up and eat.

Mostly it is because they volume of food is almost impossible to eat in a condensed time frame or only 3 meals.

THere is that whole spread the surplus out thing- but reality is when you have to more food- eating MORE often and eating higher calorie foods is the way to go.

is it necessary ? no. I mostly eat in the afternoons/evenings- I bulk/cut just fine. BUT- when I'm bulking- I start eating sooner so I can fit my food in.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

All that matters is if you reach your caloric daily intake... and your macros before you go to sleep at night.... and get 8 hours of rest, at least.

While true when it comes to weight loss, the suggestion was made because OP eats TOO LITTLE.

IDEA Fitness member

this.

there is a reason why bodybuilders eat regularly through the day- and set alarms to wake up and eat.

Mostly it is because they volume of food is almost impossible to eat in a condensed time frame or only 3 meals.

THere is that whole spread the surplus out thing- but reality is when you have to more food- eating MORE often and eating higher calorie foods is the way to go.

is it necessary ? no. I mostly eat in the afternoons/evenings- I bulk/cut just fine. BUT- when I'm bulking- I start eating sooner so I can fit my food in.

I missed originally where she wasn't eating enough (I read this first thing in the morning) so I agree that would be one way to ensure she eats more calories.

Yes, part of the reason why some bodybuilders followed the 6 meals a day (or more) was for bulking/sheer amount of food, but that wasn't the only reason. It was still suggested, even on a cut. I certainly wasn't eating anywhere near a huge amount of food on my cut and my trainer still had me on 6 meals a day. It was also believed it raised metabolism as well.
  • Ripcode
    Ripcode Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    On some days, I eat one giant meal! :bigsmile:
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

this.

I missed originally where she wasn't eating enough (I read this first thing in the morning) so I agree that would be one way to ensure she eats more calories.

Yes, part of the reason why some bodybuilders followed the 6 meals a day (or more) was for bulking/sheer amount of food, but that wasn't the only reason. It was still suggested, even on a cut. I certainly wasn't eating anywhere near a huge amount of food on my cut and my trainer still had me on 6 meals a day. It was also believed it raised metabolism as well.

well in a surplus- you want to try to even the surplus out- there is a whole bunch of science goopty goop that supports muscle growth with the constant even surplus with as few food spikes as possible. that's not my strong suit- I just am aware that is another reason why they do it.
  • guinevere96
    guinevere96 Posts: 1,445 Member
    Options
    Like everyone is saying, its really about what works for you. My mother is a mini meals person and I personally have to have a big lunch and dinner to keep myself satisfied. If you're reaching your calorie intake every day, thats what matters. Do what feels right! :)
  • laurenawolf
    laurenawolf Posts: 262 Member
    Options

So will 1 big meal.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    If you want actual nutrition advice, seek a registered dietitian, not a gym nutritionist.

^^^ This.

Some people find grazing helps with compliance but otherwise it's calories in, calories out.
  • robertdc50
    robertdc50 Posts: 50
    Options
    I've always had a preference for several smaller meals/snacks throughout the day. I find that if I eat a small portion when I'm hungry I eat less in the long run. Some people can't adjust to this, preferring to stick with the "3 squares a day" routine. Whatever works for you is the right thing to do. Regardless of their credentials, not every so-called professional gives accurate advice every time, and seldom do they take your own personal preferences or circumstances into account. Similarly, not all the free advice in the forums is necessarily right for you. I always find it best to look at all the information offered, do your on-line research, and then formulate your own opinions based on the overall results. As long as you're not ignoring any potentially harmful medical conditions, you should never make lifestyle decisions on the basis of any one person's advice or opinions.
  • shelbysp8
    shelbysp8 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I think he suggested that because most doctors will tell you that. My Cardiologist suggested it to me when he wanted me to lose weight because of my Afib. He said it keeps your metabolism going throughout the day and you don't feel hungry. I also have MS so my neurologist also would like me to lose weight because she said I will have a better quality of life for longer if I am not carrying the extra weight around with me.
    So like one of the earlier posters said I eat 3 fairly big caloric meals with 3 snacks in between. Snacks being nuts, fruit, vegetables, chicken, tuna, protein shake, ....GOOD caloric snacks.
    Hope that helps. Good Luck! :flowerforyou:
  • delazouche
    delazouche Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I'm surprised so many people are against the small meals thing. It has worked beautifully for me, and I was put on the plan by a professional. At first I thought a 250 calorie meal sounded absolutely ludicrous, but I adjusted to it pretty easily, and there are way more filling options out there than you realize. I don't agree that bombing your system with one or two huge calorie intakes for the day is the best route, personally. I like to think of it just like getting the best fuel mileage out of your car- if you give it a steady dose of energy (gas) without hitting a bunch of stops, you get the best out of it. It's the same with your body. Steady doses of energy make it function most efficiently. I eat 3 200-300 calorie meals per day and add in snacks as I can to meet my daily goals, and I lost 37 pounds in about 4 months sticking to this.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I'm surprised so many people are against the small meals thing. It has worked beautifully for me, and I was put on the plan by a professional. At first I thought a 250 calorie meal sounded absolutely ludicrous, but I adjusted to it pretty easily, and there are way more filling options out there than you realize. I don't agree that bombing your system with one or two huge calorie intakes for the day is the best route, personally. I like to think of it just like getting the best fuel mileage out of your car- if you give it a steady dose of energy (gas) without hitting a bunch of stops, you get the best out of it. It's the same with your body. Steady doses of energy make it function most efficiently. I eat 3 200-300 calorie meals per day and add in snacks as I can to meet my daily goals, and I lost 37 pounds in about 4 months sticking to this.

I don think anyone is "against" it. Most are saying do what works for you. I also like the 6 meals a day but realize that it doesn't work well for everyone.

The gas analogy is off. How often you fill it doesn't affect your gas mileage. How you drive it does. You don't get better gas mileage out of your car if you put a small amount of gas several times a day over filling the tank.