Canadian Bacon

Options

Replies

• mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    I honestly don't understand why Americans call breakfast ham "Canadian bacon" It's really weird to us Canadians...

If it wasn't for the Egg McMuffin, no American would even know what Canadian Bacon even is.

That's not true, it was available on pizza in the the '80s for years first!
  • Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    I honestly don't understand why Americans call breakfast ham "Canadian bacon" It's really weird to us Canadians...

If it wasn't for the Egg McMuffin, no American would even know what Canadian Bacon even is.

Canadian Bacon is an American thing, in Canada the egg mcmuffin has ham, not Canadian bacon....we don't call ham that!!!
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    I think it's a lot better name. It doesn't get your hopes up thinking you are getting some kind of delicious bacon only to be handed a slice of ham.
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    They call it Taylor Ham in Jersey. Well, Taylor ham looks like Canadian Bacon.

I like Canadian Bacon/Ham. It's really good and a healthier choice.

I still eat regular bacon. I'm not a savage after all.

I like Canadians, too. Je t'aime bien Canada.
  • Factory_Reset
    Factory_Reset Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    mmm, breakfast ham is my favourite!
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    From differencebetween.net, a 100% credible interweb site:

"Canadian bacon is gotten from the loin cut that runs along the back of the pig whereas ham is gotten from the primal cut that includes the leg, butt, and shank. Ham is gotten in diced chunks, slices, and whole form. On the other hand, Canadian bacon is gotten in sliced form only.

When ham contains honey or sugar, Canadian bacon does not contain any of these. Now looking at the calorie content, the Canadian bacon contains fewer calories than ham. Moreover, Canadian bacon is lower in carbohydrates and cholesterol than ham. Canadian bacon also has more protein content than ham. Meanwhile, ham contains more sodium than Canadian bacon. Unlike Canadian bacon, ham contains more Vitamin C and calcium."

Read more: Difference Between Ham and Canadian Bacon | Difference Between | Ham vs Canadian Bacon http://www.differencebetween.net/object/comparisons-of-food-items/difference-between-ham-and-canadian-bacon/#ixzz32MIY8m7k

Is it gluten free? I only eat gluten free hams...

LMFAO!!!!!!
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,723 Member
    Options

Canadian Bacon is an American thing, in Canada the egg mcmuffin has ham, not Canadian bacon....we don't call ham that!!!

It say "Canadian" right on the menu. Makes a simple breakfast sandwich "fancy".
  • Swaggs51
    Swaggs51 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    Boomer: I'll tell ya another thing: their beer sucks!
  • Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options

It say "Canadian" right on the menu. Makes a simple breakfast sandwich "fancy".

American's are weird...
  • Swaggs51
    Swaggs51 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    TV Announcer: Like maple syrup, Canada's evil oozes over the United States.

Bwahaha love that movie
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options

We really like to label things that our different or foreign to us. It's what we do.

Like Pittsburgh Sandwiches.....:glasses:
  • Ilikelamps
    Ilikelamps Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Ohhhh Canada I reported all of you for making fun of my country!!!

:explode:
  • mum23
    mum23 Posts: 248 Member
    Options

We really like to label things that our different or foreign to us. It's what we do.

is that why you say english breakfast muffins? add extra words to make it sound exotic?
  • Derpes
    Options
    Let's not forget Polish and Italian sausage.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options

and French Fries, which are not from France at all.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Options
    Who cares? It's pork. Never ate a pork product that I didn't like. Well, except for Pig's ears. Seemed to have outgrown Pickled Pig's feet , as well.
  • RabbitLost
    RabbitLost Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Saying better than turkey bacon means nothing. *kitten* is *kitten*.

No No.

All *kitten* is not created equal.

<
    right? :bigsmile:

And I stand gratefully corrected.

Edited because I can't figure out quote from reply. :sad:
  • Alisontheice
    Alisontheice Posts: 9,624 Member
    Options
    I might be guilty of making a peameal bacon (what Canadians sometimes call this) club sandwich. peameal, regular bacon…really is there anything better?
    peameal on a bun….I think I need to go eat something
  • Kimdbro
    Kimdbro Posts: 922 Member
    Options

This^^ We call it HAM because its HAM. I call it HAM STEAK, because I cut it thicker for breakfast than for a sandwich. I call the sandwich a HAM SANDWICH.
  • Derpes
    Options

and French Fries, which are not from France at all.

mmmk