Ladies Only-Birth Control PREVENTING losing weight?

Options
13»

Replies

• skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    birthcontrol = moar secks = more calorie burn = bigger deficit = weight loss.

tumblr_m6e6mvSPcs1qa0tls.gif
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    If you don't want to worry much about weight gain from birth control, I recommend the pill that has the lowest amount of estrogen which is Junel Fe 1.5/30 (Loestrin). I've been on Junel for 5 years and haven't gained weight from it.
  • Zaftique
    Zaftique Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I absolutely ADORED the Depo shot. I was on it for about 5 years, and only stopped because my doc and I discovered it was exacerbating other issues related to my vulvodynia. Tried the patch and the ring, and they were ok, but since I realized "wait, why am I bothering, I never want kids.." I just went ahead and got sterilization done about a year and a half ago. ;D

I don't remember much about gaining/losing weight while on the various BCs - I've been pretty consistently hovering in the 10-14 range most of my life, and it was only after my BF taught me to drive and we moved in together that I gained weight (no more biking everywhere).
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    I'm just happy to not gain 40 pounds and another mouth to feed.
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options

Dude!....it's ladies only!!
    2r7uhyw.jpg
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

true very very true...:drinker:
  • THECaptainObvious
    THECaptainObvious Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Yes I did have weight gain on the pill and when I switched to the Ortho Evra patch it stopped. After that the only thing causing my weight gain was me eating crap lol
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,723 Member
    Options
    Hey. I'm taking the pill, and I find that on the one "off" week each month I'm dropping more weight than when I'm on the pill. I noticed this change as soon as I started taking it. I was losing steadily, but then when I started the B.C. it stopped, and I haven't changed my eating habits. (For those out there who say eating less is the solution.) I'm sticking to my normal calories between 1300-1500 each day, and I exercise. Has anyone else experienced this problem? I'm curious if the pill causes some type of water retention, but I wouldn't imagine I would retain that much water over the course of 3 weeks.

Think of the potential weight gain without it...
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options

Dude!....it's ladies only!!
    2r7uhyw.jpg

my bad!
    giphy.gif
  • Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options

giphy.gif

I.C.E. Cream Official Tester
    IKEA Professional Put Together-er
    Kickboxing Class Attender
    Been in fitness for about 2 years and have studied kitty-gif-ology, nutrition and Dinosaurs
  • dutchi2010
    dutchi2010 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I was wondering if my BC was affecting my weight loss.. I do notice I lose more weight the week of my cycle.
  • ClareWantsProgress
    ClareWantsProgress Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    No, my tubes are tied. Best thing I ever did.

Same here, but was still put on b/c pills for menopause symptoms - not to prevent pregnancy. When I decided to go off them my primary doctor did say that he finds the number one complaint from women of all ages and sizes on the pill is weight gain/difficulty in losing weight.
  • SmaugHugs
    SmaugHugs Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I take Micronor, which is a progesterone only BCP, since estrogen based ones increase my chances of a stroke. I have never had any trouble with it affecting my weight loss, which apparently surprised my doctor. But I also do not have a rest week of placebo pills with the type of pill I take.
  • mom2aeris
    mom2aeris Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Anyone take the shot? I'm considering getting the depo shot and everyone I know always gains at least 10 lbs on it! My sister gained 15... ugh.
    I have been taking the shot for about 4 years now (on for 3, 6 months off, then 6 months back on so far), and I have had absolutely no side effects from it. I love it, love it, love it. Make sure you're taking your calcium supplements and you should be fine. In fact, I put on weight when I had *stopped* taking it.

Of course every body is different, but I love my depo shots.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    Yaz seemed to slow down my weight loss, but I wasn't on it long enough to say for sure. I prefer Tri-Sprintec - I've been on it for the majority of the past 8 years and haven't had any problems.
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    I always look thinnest the week of my period. It sounds like water retention. If you feel like you are retaining an insane amount of water just talk to your doc and try a different pill. Every pill is different for everyone. I found one that I'm happy on that doesn't make me lose or gain weight.
  • uunearthedd
    Options
    For me, I was able to lose while on the pills (a variety of kinds as I've been on many.) I had to stop taking the pill due to migraines. So my doctor put me on the Depo Provera shot and I loved everything about it. I was headache free, didn't have to worry about swallowing a pill every day, no period at all... but I gained 20lbs on it regardless of my eating habits and fitness habits... even when I kicked things up a notch, I still kept gaining! I eventually had enough and have been BC free sine the beginning of January, though I haven't really been tracking any progress or paying much attention. We'll see what happens now!

But my 2 cents may also still be irrelevant because I was also on Celexa (anti-depressant) and went on the two around the same time.
  • SoreTodayStrongTomorrow222
    Options
    I switched my BC from pills to something different and imediately lost 10lbs not even trying :-/ Being a girl is no fun sometimes