Incorporating oatmeal ... Hate the texture

Options
keobooks
keobooks Posts: 92 Member
Oatmeal Is so good for you. Everyone in the house but me eats it. I can't stand the texture. How can I work it into recipes or foods so I can get the benefits without the yuck factor?

Replies

• ElvenToad
    ElvenToad Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I am the same way, you can try my Cookie Dough Baked Oatmeal bars recipe

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1256733-cookie-dough-baked-oatmeal-with-pics
  • jim180155
    jim180155 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I use oatmeal in my homemade protein bars. I've also included it in smoothies.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    Homemade granola perhaps?

I love oatmeal, but I take a healthy food and destroy it with brown sugar, butter and maple syrup.

So I'm probably zero help :)
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Try making oatcakes (very similar to pancakes):

http://www.theoatmealartist.com/2013/03/banana-chocolate-chip-oat-pancakes-for.html

They're SO good. The site has tons of other recipes too.
  • I_love_frogs
    I_love_frogs Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Well, just a thought though...have you tried the steel cut oats? If you family is using the regular rolled instant stuff I can see why the texture would put you off. Steel cut oats are really different in texture. When I could eat oatmeal, I loved the steel cut ones compared to normal.

Maybe you like that better? Other than that...i used to put rolled oatmeal in meatloaf as my filler.
  • swissmish
    swissmish Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I am the same. I find the texture is quite similar to glue. I would also love some other options for it, other than the homemade granola, in which I as well make jt not so healthy by adding butter, sugar and male syrup....but it oh so very tasty that way.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I am the same. I find the texture is quite similar to glue. I would also love some other options for it, other than the homemade granola, in which I as well make jt not so healthy by adding butter, sugar and male syrup....but it oh so very tasty that way.

Yeah, I'll screw up my granola that way, too sometimes. My next batch I'm going to try a spicy version, so I don't use the syrup/butter/etc.
  • kwinthenw
    kwinthenw Posts: 1
    Options
    If you like yogurt try mixing oats (not the instant type) with yogurt. I usually put 1 part oats to 2 parts yogurt. Let it sit for a few minutes and the oats will start to soften. Obviously the longer you let it sit the more they will soften so keep testing until you reach the consistency that works for you and enjoy! (vanilla yogurt with cinnamon is my fave)
  • wampahoofus
    wampahoofus Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    If you like a courser texture, you can try steel cut oats. I really enjoy Cracklin Oat Bran as well. I eat it dry.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    flapjacks. :love:
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    Or, if you don't like it, don't eat it .......
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal Is so good for you. Everyone in the house but me eats it. I can't stand the texture. How can I work it into recipes or foods so I can get the benefits without the yuck factor?

And what are the benefits of oatmeal?
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    I have oatmeal 4 to 5 times a week for breakfast.

I don't buy that mushy instant crap. I buy mine in bulk and usually mix 10 grain with 5 grain. When I cook it up I add dried cherries, dried cranberries and chopped pecans. Not a lot..just enough to give it some chew and texture.
  • TehLaughingDog
    TehLaughingDog Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Try steel cut irish oats! Totally different texture and its got more fiber for ya. I prefer steel cut too.
  • Squamation
    Squamation Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Yes, oatmeal is great for you- but if you don't enjoy eating it then don't.

Find another whole grain that you DO like the taste of and eat it instead.

Quinao, barley, wheat berries, brown (and other colored) rice, ect.
  • datguy2011
    datguy2011 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Try the weight watchers one.... I was the same way, but the apple and cinnamon taste over power the texture.
  • jchenks
    jchenks Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I put oatmeal into my homemade extra lean beef/turkey burgers as the (bread crumb substitute). You don't notice it at all after you are done BBQing them. Sometimes i'll have a bun but depending on my carb intake earlier in the day I'll just use lettuce as the bun :)
  • TashTag
    TashTag Posts: 109
    Options
    Smoothies... yum never thought of that. Do you cook it first... dumb question?
  • climbing_trees
    climbing_trees Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Check out theoatmealartist.com !

Use steel cut or old fashioned oats. Cook a bit less than the listed time and it will not be nearly as mushy and gross.
  • keobooks
    keobooks Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone who gave some good ideas. I will try them ... Esp the steel cut oats.

http://www.mrbreakfast.com/article.asp?articleid=27

This is a quick list why oatmeal is good for you. Even if it's not good for you. I don't care. We have loads of it in the house and I cook it all the time. I want a way I can eat it, ok? I think it's silly to challenge this as if it were some big controversy. Food is good for you. More variety is good for the psyche. I want more variety.