Incorporating oatmeal ... Hate the texture

Options

Replies

• CaddieMay
    CaddieMay Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I put a tablespoon of all-natural peanut butter in my oatmeal. YUM!
  • lisaabenjamin
    lisaabenjamin Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    You could try making it with more or less milk than the packet says - it takes some experimenting to get the consistency and cooking times right, but I discovered I much prefer the texture of oatmeal when it's thicker than recommended. I also mix honey, greek yoghurt, fruit and a linseed-based cereal topper into mine. Yummmmm....
  • tycho_mx
    tycho_mx Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Chiming in on the steel cuts - my wife doesn't like oatmeal (nothing porridge-like, actually. Even steamed white rice makes her gag sometimes) but she'll happily eat the steel cut.

Don't like the instant stuff. What I do is either slow-cook or presoak some oats overnight. Then just warm up in the morning. Takes the same time as the dehydrated stuff. Get some quality dried fruits and nuts to accompany.

You can mix it in in tons of stuff instead of bread crumbs, flour, even 1/2 and 1/2 pancakes.
  • lisaabenjamin
    lisaabenjamin Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone who gave some good ideas. I will try them ... Esp the steel cut oats.

http://www.mrbreakfast.com/article.asp?articleid=27

This is a quick list why oatmeal is good for you. Even if it's not good for you. I don't care. We have loads of it in the house and I cook it all the time. I want a way I can eat it, ok? I think it's silly to challenge this as if it were some big controversy. Food is good for you. More variety is good for the psyche. I want more variety.

Yes, good attitude! :flowerforyou:
  • keobooks
    keobooks Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Does anyone think you could put it in meatloaf?
  • Technolero
    Technolero Posts: 90
    Options
    I eat steel-cut oats pretty frequently (http://www.goodfoodmadesimple.com/our-products/oatmeal/variety3/) with a little light brown sugar and fresh blueberries and blackberries. It seems I have my best weight loss days when I have this for breakfast.
  • jim180155
    jim180155 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Smoothies... yum never thought of that. Do you cook it first... dumb question?

I don't. I just add 1/2 cup or however much I'm looking for straight from the box and blend it with all the other ingredients. The oatmeal's taste is usually pretty subtle because of all the other ingredients, but it noticeably thickens a smoothie.
  • priyamvada_k
    priyamvada_k Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    If the cooked oatmeal's texture puts you off, you can try refrigerator oats. Oats + milk/almond milk/soymilk + raisins/dates left to sit overnight in fridge.

Add nuts or other toppings in the morning and enjoy cold.
  • jchenks
    jchenks Posts: 164 Member
    Options

I think you could. I personally have never made meatloaf but i'd imagine it is somewhat similar to making home made burgers???? My previous post I mentioned I put oatmeal into those.
  • Jlmervin03
    Jlmervin03 Posts: 152 Member
    Options

You sure can put it in meatloaf. I've also seen people put it their meatballs instead of breadcrumbs. I like to put oatmeal in my protein shakes. It keeps me full for hours.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,717 Member
    Options

This is exactly how I use rolled oats. I blitz them fine in the food processor and use as breadcrumbs. I like them for coating chicken pieces before baking (marinate in buttermilk then dip in the pulverized oats, maybe mixed with garlic salt, herbs and some optional parmesan), For results to most resemble fried chicken, give a light spray with oil before roasting at 200C until juices run clear when pricked. About 25 minutes for breasts and a few minutes longer for thighs.

You can use the pulverized oats instead of breadcrumbs in meatballs or meatloaf.
  • Mygsds
    Mygsds Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    Like the oatmeal... I put 1 T peanut butter in and 1 T cocoa. Sometimes slice in a banana and small amount of chopped pecans. Holds me till lunch that's for sure..
  • PinkCupcakes84
    PinkCupcakes84 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Or, if you don't like it, don't eat it .......

Best advice here ????
  • purplebohemian
    Options
    Another vote for steel cut oats! I like regular oatmeal too, but I actually prefer steel cut oats more.
  • hollylosingit
    hollylosingit Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Absolutely you can add it meatloaf. My mom did when I was growing up and I didn't know people used breadcrumbs until I was an adult. Just sub the oats for the crumbs. It comes out great!
  • paulawatkins1974
    paulawatkins1974 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Another vote for steel cut oats! I like regular oatmeal too, but I actually prefer steel cut oats more.
    Does anyone know if you can use the steel cut oats for overnight oats? and would the ratio to milk be the same?
  • fitphoenix
    fitphoenix Posts: 9,673 Member
    Options
    I second the overnight oats option, as well as baked oatmeal. Both take basically the same ingredients as "stovetop/microwave" oats, but change the texture. It's still creamy in the overnight oats, but not gluey in the same way at all. (Though I like that kind of oatmeal too, lol.) Baked oatmeal turns into a (very) dense, almost cake-like entity that has no resemblance to glue.

I also make oatcakes (the cracker-like kind) by food-processor-ing the oats (3c) into coarse oat flour, adding a tablespoon of oil, a teeny bit of salt, and water until it forms a dough, then rolling it out and cutting out circles and baking them. They're a bland as crackers just like that, but work great as vehicles for peanut butter, etc., and you could always add in other flavourings to mix them up.

Also like granola (but haven't got around to making my own version yet), and you could do muesli or something (raw oats mixed in with dried berries and nuts that you add milk to near when you're going to eat it). Tons of options!

Good luck in finding a version that works for you. ;)
  • tinkbaby101
    tinkbaby101 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I use them in recipes after running them through a blender or food processor. Not sure how that would fly if they're plain. But if you're looking to use them in, say, oatmeal/banana pancakes, it's perfect.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    Or, if you don't like it, don't eat it .......

I'll never understand why people eat food they hate.
  • CoachMLJ
    CoachMLJ Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Try cooking oatmeal in milk. Put it in the milk at the beginning of the process before it starts to boil. Alternatively, you can cook it in water the same way. It will come out creamier. :)