Calorie Counting 101

Options

Replies

• vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    garyphanna wrote: »
    Ill try the calorie count for 90 days to see how its different from other methods. I can't weigh my food though. lol
    Why not?

• mandthea
    mandthea Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    one more thing...just in case you can edit it...

choosing correct entries...just because you weight and log if you don't choose the right entries you are doomed...ie 5 chicken wings with 386 calories and 53grams of protien I saw in someone's diary....or the 6oz steak entry with 98grams of protien...ick.

ETA: great post tho I agree.
    New to this site can you tell me what is "ick" about it?
  • nuffer
    nuffer Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    It's
    mandthea wrote: »
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    one more thing...just in case you can edit it...

choosing correct entries...just because you weight and log if you don't choose the right entries you are doomed...ie 5 chicken wings with 386 calories and 53grams of protien I saw in someone's diary....or the 6oz steak entry with 98grams of protien...ick.

ETA: great post tho I agree.
    New to this site can you tell me what is "ick" about it?
    That protein number is terribly inaccurate. Beef is approximately 4g of protein per ounce. The problem is that the database has some wildly skewed numbers for many entries. All the mobile versions of MFP I've used can make it difficult to choose a valid food entry.
  • casio1949
    Options
    I don't measure, but I'm very careful with the portions of food that I consume. I started MFP
    At the beginning of February, and have lost 25 lbs. love using this App.
  • casio1949
    Options
    I don't measure, but I'm very careful with the portions of food that I consume. I started MFP
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    garyphanna wrote: »
    Ill try the calorie count for 90 days to see how its different from other methods. I can't weigh my food though. lol
    If you don't weigh your foods, you don't really know how many calories you are eating.

If you don't log everything that goes into your mouth and record the accurate calories, then the method may "fail" not because it doesn't work but because more calories were consumed that you realized.
  • vismal
    Options
    casio1949 wrote: »
    Being careful won't ensure accuracy. You can carefully over eat quite easily. Research shows that people are notoriously poor at determining proper serving sizes. A 10 dollar digital scale is simply the best investment you can make. It'll last for years and years. It's without a doubt the best bang for you buck in all of diet and fitness.
  • peterjens
    peterjens Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    vismal wrote: »
    casio1949 wrote: »
    Being careful won't ensure accuracy. You can carefully over eat quite easily. Research shows that people are notoriously poor at determining proper serving sizes. A 10 dollar digital scale is simply the best investment you can make. It'll last for years and years. It's without a doubt the best bang for you buck in all of diet and fitness.

There is a saying, "You can't manage what you can't measure." Money, widgets, ounces, calories, etc.
  • vovolourdes
    vovolourdes Posts: 6
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I can never meet my calorie goal , I am always under my calorie goal I try my best, but is to much food for me.Can i have some advise?

• peterjens
    peterjens Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Make sure you get your protein grams eaten and then complete your calorie goals with fats and carbs. To add calories quickly and not be so filling, I would just open up the peanut butter jar and remove 2 Tbsps at a time.
  • Lizandro88
    Lizandro88 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Great post :)
  • LesieliSky
    LesieliSky Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I just started reading this... So far everything makes sense. Mark work added. Counting calories and now weighing food. That's a mission but one I'm going to work on. Great 411 something I desperately need
  • vismal
    Options
    I can never meet my calorie goal , I am always under my calorie goal I try my best, but is to much food for me.Can i have some advise?
    Eat food with high calories and low levels of satiation. Liquid calories do this as well as oils, nut butters, avocado, ice cream, candy, etc.

• vegaschick82
    vegaschick82 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Great advice. Thank you :)
  • vovolourdes
    Options
    vismal wrote: »
    Eat food with high calories and low levels of satiation. Liquid calories do this as well as oils, nut butters, avocado, ice cream, candy, etc.

• vovolourdes
    Options
    Thank you for the advise. Please tell me why do I have to count the calories on the vegetables I thought that are free .
  • thin1dayplease
    thin1dayplease Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the advise. Please tell me why do I have to count the calories on the vegetables I thought that are free .

Because they have calories... there is not such thing as a food with no calories!
  • thin1dayplease
    thin1dayplease Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this :) Its good to refresh the mind a little.
  • vismal
    Options
    The calories in vegetables are no different than the calories in any other food. Some people like to think of vegetables as free because they are low in calories. This leads to inaccuracy. 100 calories of broccoli still has 100 calories and it still counts towards you totals.
  • vovolourdes
    Options
    Thank you☺