Calorie Counting 101

Options

Replies

• vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    Just an FYI for you guys: This thread is pinned so it does not need bumped. It will remain in the top of the General Diet and Weight Loss Help section for as long as MFP keeps it pinned.
  • l8knut
    l8knut Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I guess what I am taking from most of this is calories in<calories out is what works. I'm not sure who said it but if you restrict yourself from eating what you like, your chances of success are going to be much lower. That has been my issue in the past. No carbs, no fat, man you cant eat anything! So far in my 6 weeks, I eat what I like, just less and so far so good!
  • carvelin
    carvelin Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Very interesting, I think this may be my problem as I sometimes measure and sometimes don't. When I do I am always surprized how wrong I am...So I went and bought measuring spoons for my purse ( :smile:
  • nuffer
    nuffer Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    This is one of the very first things I read in the MFP forum when I got serious about changing my eating habits in January and it has been invaluable in helping me stay on track. I can eat pretty much anything I want. I (usually) fit it in my daily goals, or at least weekly. Tracking to a detailed level has helped me make better food choices. And I've seen a consistent loss trend over these past five months. The only times I was feeling brutally hungry were those when I was not eating back enough exercise calories. Once I figured that out, back to "normal" loss without intense hunger. I consider a scale absolutely necessary for past success and future weight loss. And probably maintenance some day in the future.

Thank you Vismal!
  • bubbles_raver
    bubbles_raver Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm new to calorie counting. I have been doing my best to enter everything in but sometimes im not sure if i have selected the right option in my diary. If I make a sandwich should I add everything on its own or search the type of sandwich I made?? If I'm cooking should I scan the barcodes of things I have added or just search the meal type?? I want to get the most out of this
  • vismal
    Options
    I'm new to calorie counting. I have been doing my best to enter everything in but sometimes im not sure if i have selected the right option in my diary. If I make a sandwich should I add everything on its own or search the type of sandwich I made?? If I'm cooking should I scan the barcodes of things I have added or just search the meal type?? I want to get the most out of this
    Calculating individual ingredients will be WAY more accurate. You can make a pot roast and simple search "pot roast" and you'll get plenty of options. None of them can guarantee they were prepared with same ingredients and portions that yours was.
  • whatatime2befit
    whatatime2befit Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Awesome post, great information!
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    You seem to be very informative about counting/weighing calories/food. I have a kitchen scale as well; but, I also use a good set of measuring cups and spoons. I agree that someone can definitely get more than an actual Tablespoon of, let's say, peanut butter; I dig in a big scoop in my Tablespoon, and push it against the side of the bottle then level it off; and use my finger to roll it out onto my bread. I'm thinking this is the best way to get your portions correct. When I was in WW, the point system just flabbergasted me - first thing I will admit was . . . at the time, I was not exercising; but staying within my points. Now I am on a Medical Weight Loss program and keeping up with my calories and I will try to figure out what I might eat at a meal, if we go out, to stay within my caloric count. I'm now exercising and was told to increase my water intake. I can see how to keep up with my water; the only thing I have not found on MFP is how to keep up with my weight, whether up or down (hopefully more downward than upward). I'll get to something and then cannot find it again. Found the weight - but it is flat lined. Then tried to go through my profile page and was told it was 'not working'. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks.
  • vismal
    Options
    You seem to be very informative about counting/weighing calories/food. I have a kitchen scale as well; but, I also use a good set of measuring cups and spoons. I agree that someone can definitely get more than an actual Tablespoon of, let's say, peanut butter; I dig in a big scoop in my Tablespoon, and push it against the side of the bottle then level it off; and use my finger to roll it out onto my bread. I'm thinking this is the best way to get your portions correct. When I was in WW, the point system just flabbergasted me - first thing I will admit was . . . at the time, I was not exercising; but staying within my points. Now I am on a Medical Weight Loss program and keeping up with my calories and I will try to figure out what I might eat at a meal, if we go out, to stay within my caloric count. I'm now exercising and was told to increase my water intake. I can see how to keep up with my water; the only thing I have not found on MFP is how to keep up with my weight, whether up or down (hopefully more downward than upward). I'll get to something and then cannot find it again. Found the weight - but it is flat lined. Then tried to go through my profile page and was told it was 'not working'. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks.
    Using a leveled tablespoon is still much less accurate than using a scale. A scale is ALWAYS best for solid foods. As to tracking your weight. From the homepage there is a tab that says "check in". Click it. From there, there is an option to enter your weight and review previous weights.

• Wiseandcurious
    Wiseandcurious Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    vismal wrote: »
    Using a leveled tablespoon is still much less accurate than using a scale. A scale is ALWAYS best for solid foods. As to tracking your weight. From the homepage there is a tab that says "check in". Click it. From there, there is an option to enter your weight and review previous weights.

I second that. People often don't realize that food gets compacted when you measure it with spoons/cups/etc so even if you get the most precise level edge that can be, it will still be more than the weight equivalent stated on the pack.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Don't mind me. Just bumping useful threads.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    Bumping!
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    Bump this back to the front page
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Evening bump.
  • Angiefit4life
    Angiefit4life Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    The first thread I read in December. Bumping for all newbies!
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    To the first page with you!!
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Morning bump!
  • Gianfranco_R
    Gianfranco_R Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    bump