flat belly without lifting. possible?

Options
I want a flat belly. Period. I don't want a six pack. I am already lean all over except my gut. It wiggles and jiggles and is the only part of my body that the fat is stuck on. I've read several posts of lifting and all the benefits, but honestly is that what will give me what I want? I've tried lifting for about 1-2 months and find I don't enjoy it and have stopped. Any advice?

Replies

• fivethreeone
    fivethreeone Posts: 8,196 Member
    Options
    You can get a flat belly without lifting. It all comes down to body fat percentage. As you lose body fat , it will go away.

I and many others have gotten a flat stomach from lifting paired with a decrease in body fat, so that is one way to go about it. What kind of lifting were you doing?
  • Apocalypz
    Apocalypz Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Lifting builds muscle. Muscle helps "keep your fat where it should be". Let's make this more simple -- exercise is good for you. Once you get in the swing of things, you'll find its' benefits. Eating healthily and exercise will help you accomplish your goals.

So the question stands: "How important are your goals?"
  • Dol10
    Dol10 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    It's either your body fat percentage or excess skin if you're already at a low percentage.

Lifting won't exactly help.. maybe lower your bf%, but it takes a caloric deficit to do that.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    it sounds like you want to lose fat but not build and muscle (tone)

yes, not lifting weights can help with lol

as long as your still eating at a defecit.

you could also incorperate lifts that dont utilize the core as much as others, but you said you don't like it so...
  • CitizenXVIII
    CitizenXVIII Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Belly must be your body's preferred place to store energy. Just gonna have to drop your total body fat %, lifting will help, but a calorie deficit is all that's required.
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    I want a flat belly. Period. I don't want a six pack. I am already lean all over except my gut. It wiggles and jiggles and is the only part of my body that the fat is stuck on. I've read several posts of lifting and all the benefits, but honestly is that what will give me what I want? I've tried lifting for about 1-2 months and find I don't enjoy it and have stopped. Any advice?

you have to....awww forget it. I have to punch out and go home.
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Yeah.. listen to the string bean up there... *rollseyes*

Did you just use an ad hominem to discredit otherwise sound advice?

How does this make what you say trustworthy?

OP, it is about body fat percent. Eat at a deficit and try to do some strength training to retain muscle. Can you get abs without it? Sure. There are runners out there with abs. There are swimmers out there with abs. But lifting is the best way to preserve lean mass and lose fat while eating at a deficit. Also, protein. Make sure you're getting adequate protein.
  • fivethreeone
    fivethreeone Posts: 8,196 Member
    Options

I'd appreciate it if you didn't talk about me like I'm not in the room.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options

I've wanted to do this to SO many people here, particularly in the diet and nutrition boards, but it is still a douche move...
  • da_bears1008
    da_bears1008 Posts: 354
    Options

hF3252042
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

you have to....awww forget it. I have to punch out and go home.

Is that a euphemism? Because sometimes I like to "punch out" before I head home too. Glad I'm not the only one
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    Eat at a deficit and do some form of exercise. You don't have to lift weights, but I do recommend some core exercises. Planks and leg raises work wonder for the core and are also great for your back.

Ensure you are strengthening your muscles so that you are not losing muscle tone.
    I have a six pack because I have low body fat and have built those muscles through exercise.

If I increased my body fat percentage, the six pack wouldn't be so obvious.

Do you need to lift to get a flat belly? No. I didn't.
    Can you lift and not get a six pack? Yes, there are many women here who are lifters who don't have visible abs.

Like everyone else has said... it's all depending on your goals.

ETA to say... but hey... based on Dol10's response above, maybe you shouldn't listen to my advice because I have a visible six pack and you don't want one of those, ergo my advice is irrelevant. :laugh:
  • natashabefit
    Options
    You can get a flat belly without lifting. It all comes down to body fat percentage. As you lose body fat , it will go away.

I and many others have gotten a flat stomach from lifting paired with a decrease in body fat, so that is one way to go about it. What kind of lifting were you doing?

I believe they are called compound moves. Squats with 65 pounds ( started with 15 pounds) deadlifts 80 also started with 15 and bench press which is only 25 :blushing:
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    I am pear shape and always have flat stomach, but sort of soft until I started lifting heavy. My stomach starts getting stronger and firmer, like a rock now. :)
  • albayin
    Options
    and another siliver lining I just noticed today is with hard rock stomach, I have no problem walking in high heels...because my balance is improved too~
  • FitMe758
    FitMe758 Posts: 177 Member
    Options

No need to call names, Walter.
  • FitMe758
    FitMe758 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Lifting builds muscle. Muscle helps "keep your fat where it should be". Let's make this more simple -- exercise is good for you. Once you get in the swing of things, you'll find its' benefits. Eating healthily and exercise will help you accomplish your goals.

So the question stands: "How important are your goals?"

"How important are your goals" is totally irrelevant.

Lifting is NOT crucial to a flat belly. Just look at the physiques of Olympic power lifters and the competitors of Iron Man competitions. They Lift. Heavy. A Lot. and the great majority do not have a flat belly.

A flat belly happens when the body fat percentage is low enough.
    Yes, weight lifting can help, but it is not a *crucial* part of cutting body fat.
    To lose fat you must be at a caloric deficit. Lifting while in a deficit helps retain lean muscle mass, but it does not build flat abs.
  • TheStephil
    TheStephil Posts: 858 Member
    Options

Yes, listen to someone who has a similar body type to what you desire. People on the boards that are "string beans", skinny, fit, etc. are full of useful knowledge because most of the time they have been there and done that and know what they are talking about. This isn't always the case but you shouldn't be snarky to someone over their body type.
  • natashabefit
    Options
    Ty everyone. It sucks to be an "apple" cause all the fat is on my belly.
  • albayin
    Options
    Ty everyone. It sucks to be an "apple" cause all the fat is on my belly.

I notice that many personal trainers have straight body type...assume they have tendency to be apple? you can do it. just keep working on it..