Dear IIFYMers...and everyone else

goldthistime
goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
Let's say I had a rough day. I get home and mix myself up a mini batch of chocolate icing in a mug and dig in. This sweet indulgence works, I feel better. When I go to enter it into my diary, I'm delighted to find that it all fit into my macros (let's pretend I had a very high protein lunch/breakfast). I'm under my calorie goal by a hair too.

Okay or not okay? And why please.

Replies

• kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Are you asking okay or not okay in terms of weight loss, health, choice of sweet, whether or not you should eat icing from a mug?

Or are you just asking us to judge ok or not okay and give our reasoning why?
  • Eleonora91
    Eleonora91 Posts: 688 Member
    Why not?
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Are you asking okay or not okay in terms of weight loss, health, choice of sweet, whether or not you should eat icing from a mug?

Or are you just asking us to judge ok or not okay and give our reasoning why?

Any and all. Just looking to explore the topic.
  • apparations
    apparations Posts: 264 Member
    Sure as long as it's not every day.
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Mental applause
  • SugaryLynx
    Sure as long as it's not every day.

Why?
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    What is there to explore here? If it fits your macros than there is no issue. That's what IIFYM is.
  • RivenV
    RivenV Posts: 1,667 Member
    By the very definition of "if it fits your macros," yes... since it fit your macros.

You could do that every day if you wanted to.

I have ice cream every day, and it fits my macros.
  • tamelakaye79
    tamelakaye79 Posts: 70 Member
    Your calories will often be a hair off- it is because of MFP's database - not your fault. Hit those macro #'s and don't worry about the calories :)
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Let's say I had a rough day. I get home and mix myself up a mini batch of chocolate icing in a mug and dig in. This sweet indulgence works, I feel better. When I go to enter it into my diary, I'm delighted to find that it all fit into my macros (let's pretend I had a very high protein lunch/breakfast). I'm under my calorie goal by a hair too.

Okay or not okay? And why please.

Personally, I'd check my micronutrients on the phone app and make sure I'm good for the week. But if I am, there's no reason not to do that every day.
  • Kekibird
    Kekibird Posts: 1,122 Member
    If it fits those macros, why worry...
  • SugaryLynx
    Your calories will often be a hair off- it is because of MFP's database - not your fault. Hit those macro #'s and don't worry about the calories :)

Macronutrients have calories. You lost me. Also, people are notorious for wrong macro entries too, as a warning
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Did you get enough "good" carbs (veg, fruits, whole grains) to meet your micronutrient goal (vitamins and minerals, etc)?

Yes? Then fill your boots...or mug...with whatever you want!

IIFYM isn't a pass to eat any and all things within your macros and calories. You still have to think about your overall health.
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Chocolate icing - yum!!

If it fits then why not?
  • Isakizza
    Isakizza Posts: 754 Member
    If it fits, right????

Yeah I wouldn't do it daily, personally a trigger food for me. So for me it's more like " if it fits, within reason" :frown:
    Meet your macros, don't worry too much about calories.

21525558.png
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Sounds like you had a rough day. If you got enough protein and fats for the day, and your micronutrients and fiber look pretty good, why not eat frosting?

I do things like this sometimes. My muscles haven't melted off or anything.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    It's the very definition of IIFYM. So, stir the icing, not the pot ;)
  • ZombieEarhart
    ZombieEarhart Posts: 320 Member
    Seems like an all around win, not sure what there is to talk about? I mean, maybe in this hypothetical situation you should check the cals first, but sometimes just eating something and worrying about it later can be a healthy break, too.
  • George_Baileys_Ghost
    George_Baileys_Ghost Posts: 1,524 Member
    Fine.

My first impulse is to say, "It depends on your goals." but if you're under on calories, and it fits within your macros, then it pretty much covers any goal, unless you're bulking in which case I'd add beer and chicken wings...stat.
  • jos05
    jos05 Posts: 263 Member
    To each his own... we all have days like this... at least you're willing to admit that you're human...

.......next topic?