Dear IIFYMers...and everyone else

Options

Replies

• sixtyinchesoffury
    sixtyinchesoffury Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    one question...would any of your answers change if it was wine instead of icing???
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    one question...would any of your answers change if it was wine instead of icing???

In moderation and safely? No.

If every time she has a bad day and eats a container of icing or drinks a bottle of wine, there's some obvious cause for concern.
  • Sarah4fitness
    Sarah4fitness Posts: 437 Member
    Options

In moderation? No.

If every time she has a bad day and eats a container of icing or drinks a bottle of wine, there's some obvious cause for concern.

Wine though has alcohol, which isn't "technically" one of the 3 major macros. It's entirely Other, although it HAS carbs and calories.
    I don't always IIFYM, but when I do, I make room for wine.
  • KseRz
    KseRz Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    Let's say I had a rough day. I get home and mix myself up a mini batch of chocolate icing in a mug and dig in. This sweet indulgence works, I feel better. When I go to enter it into my diary, I'm delighted to find that it all fit into my macros (let's pretend I had a very high protein lunch/breakfast). I'm under my calorie goal by a hair too.

Okay or not okay? And why please.

Totally not okay. Chocolate icing? Are you out of your mind? Thats nasty. Lets say that hypothetically a mug full of fresh chocolate chip cookie dough FIYM, then that would be okay.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Did you get enough "good" carbs (veg, fruits, whole grains) to meet your micronutrient goal (vitamins and minerals, etc)?

Yes? Then fill your boots...or mug...with whatever you want!

IIFYM isn't a pass to eat any and all things within your macros and calories. You still have to think about your overall health.

So let's pretend that I DIDN'T get enough "good" carbs. That I'd planned on having roasted vegetables for dinner but used up my carbs with this icing. Does it change anyone's thinking?

No. It's one day. Also, in terms of weight loss it doesn't matter. In terms of health, micros and macros are both instrumentally important but a day here or there isn't going to hurt you...how did you eat before? I survived fine on ramen and ice cream with no ill effects. Could I have done better for myself and fit more fruits and veggies in? Sure...but ya know. Humans and things
    All of this.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    I always hated story problems. This is churning up bad grade school memories.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    I always hated story problems. This is churning up bad grade school memories.
    If Pat had 2 spoonfuls of chocolate icing, and Robin had 2 spoonfuls of chocolate icing, how soon will the train get to Des Moines if traveling at 487 hectares per hour? Show your work.
  • RECowgill
    RECowgill Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure that you are actually doing IIFYM. Macros are all your macros, not just calories. Sodium, sugar, fats, carbs, protein, cholesterol, etc. I doubt that much sugar would fit anyone's macros, an adult human being should have no more than 50g of sugar a day, if your goal is to fit the macros. Maybe less for your size and weight, I don't know.

You might be doing IIFYC (if it fits your calories) instead. That's fine, lots of people say that works for them. I don't think I'm one of those people, I need to try and keep all my macros, especially salt and sugar in check.

For what its worth I go over on individual macros all the time. Have that piece of cake and Mcd's burger, lots of sugar and salt there. I do my best to hit my targets, but I miss them frequently enough. What I like about IIFYM is that it gets you to pay attention to the whole spectrum of nutrients, at least if I'm going to eat poorly I have some education about how I can pull it back, mitigate it, get close to fitting even if I don't pull it off that day.
  • random_user75
    random_user75 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure. It's if it fits your macros not if it fits your calories.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    :eyetwitchemoticon:
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Do you usually reach your micro targets too? Then sure, no worries.

However, in reality, it takes a little more intentionality and practice to be able to do this to this extreme. You almost have to plan for a nearly pure carb "meal" at the end of the day.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
    Options

In moderation? No.

Wine though has alcohol, which isn't "technically" one of the 3 major macros. It's entirely Other, although it HAS carbs and calories.

I think of alcohol as a 2 carbon fatty acid...
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Honestly? I'd be concerned if you were regularly responding to a bad day with food.

But as far as the icing itself, if it fits it's fine as long as you're meeting your macros and micros.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure that you are actually doing IIFYM. Macros are all your macros, not just calories. Sodium, sugar, fats, carbs, protein, cholesterol, etc. I doubt that much sugar would fit anyone's macros, an adult human being should have no more than 50g of sugar a day, if your goal is to fit the macros. Maybe less for your size and weight, I don't know.

You might be doing IIFYC (if it fits your calories) instead. That's fine, lots of people say that works for them. I don't think I'm one of those people, I need to try and keep all my macros, especially salt and sugar in check.

For what its worth I go over on individual macros all the time. Have that piece of cake and Mcd's burger, lots of sugar and salt there. I do my best to hit my targets, but I miss them frequently enough. What I like about IIFYM is that it gets you to pay attention to the whole spectrum of nutrients, at least if I'm going to eat poorly I have some education about how I can pull it back, mitigate it, get close to fitting even if I don't pull it off that day.

Macros are protein, fat and carbs. Sugar is counted under carbs.
    The recommendation for sugar is for added sugar.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,709 Member
    Options
    One day? Meh, it ain't gonna matter. Enjoy.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options

In moderation? No.

Yes, well said. I am a fairly regular drinker - it is an important part of my social life / well-being. I make it work for me (even if that means sometimes blowing through a calorie goal or missing another goal).

And I guess my answer *would* change substituting wine for icing -- but only because I am the sort of person who eats the cake and leaves the icing, pretty much intact, on the plate; and also the sort of person who doesn't often leave the wine glass anything other than empty.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the great replies. I have definitely mixed up a mug of icing after a rough day before (consider it my shot of whiskey), but it didn't happen today. Btw, the recipe is softened butter, cocoa and icing sugar. Proportions can vary and it still works.

Most of my own opinions on the topic have been expressed by others already (which is exactly what I was hoping for) but I feel remiss in not expressing them at some point so here goes.

I'm interested in health ahead of weight loss, and given that I substituted the carbs in icing carbs for carbs in roasted vegetables, I missed out on some important nutrients, so not a great idea to do with any frequency. I also missed out on the fiber that those vegetables (or any other "healthy" carb) would have provided so I may feel hungry later.

If I don't have "rough days" very often this mug icing thing is probably fine. But it's dangerous territory to use food to destress.

Comparing my icing scenario to Sarah's IIFYM end of day ice cream treat thread, she scheduled it in (mine was reactionary), and it was consumed knowing she had met all her macro AND MICRO goals first.

But...and here is where I may get clobbered...what's the big deal about macros anyway? MFP did a blurb about it a while ago and they suggested that their recommended proportions just had to do with satiation. Are we really just trying to get people to eat a little more protein and a little less carbs (40-30-30 vs 50-30-20)?
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    I'm currently in the process of eating about 420 calories of starburst jelly beans so I'm going to have to say yes on this one.
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    If you burn more calories than you consume, you will lose weight. Having said that, some foods will leave you feeling fuller and more satisfied than others. You may find that as your physical activity increases, so will your need for nutrition. It is best to meet those needs as you are able but don't forget to eat chocolate and ice cream along the way. And bacon.