Thoughts on What a Plastic Surgeon Said About Dieting

Options
13»

Replies

• Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Umm...that sounds like a question for a registered dietician. Reducing carbs and protein seems dramatic for the average person, including those living with diabetes. It just does not sound sustainable.

Reducing carbs is by far NOT AT ALL "dramatic" for someone with diabetes, it's the best treatment. And the BEST way to PREVENT diabetes. Yeah, that's what I chose to do. Was pre-diabetic, changed my diet, avoided diabetes.

Low carb with no meat is retarded advice. And it's not even possible to do it; at least not while remaining healthy and alive. I think your plastic surgeon just wants to make sure she has a lot of repeat business.
  • BetesBitch
    BetesBitch Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Umm...that sounds like a question for a registered dietician. Reducing carbs and protein seems dramatic for the average person, including those living with diabetes. It just does not sound sustainable.

Reducing carbs is by far NOT AT ALL "dramatic" for someone with diabetes, it's the best treatment. And the BEST way to PREVENT diabetes. Yeah, that's what I chose to do. Was pre-diabetic, changed my diet, avoided diabetes.

Low carb with no meat is retarded advice. And it's not even possible to do it; at least not while remaining healthy and alive. I think your plastic surgeon just wants to make sure she has a lot of repeat business.

Plastic surgeon was a he and he suggested that I NOT have lipo. He turned me away and I am very happy he did!
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    Low carb makes sense for a diabetic, but why not meat? What are you supposed to eat? Anyway, that does not make sense to me...and I'm just a regular person...not a doctor.
  • BetesBitch
    Options
    Low carb makes sense for a diabetic, but why not meat? What are you supposed to eat? Anyway, that does not make sense to me...and I'm just a regular person...not a doctor.
    Yeah I don't know. Maybe he just meant low carb and no red meat? Not sure but anyhow!
  • albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Doctors don't really spend a lot of time on nutrition in school. Better to ask someone who specializes in such things. Like us, for example. :wink:
    ^^ True

As someone in the field (albeit with a different specialty) I have to agree with this. My medical school had ~ 25 hours total of nutrition training, and it was often devoted to the conventional wisdom of the lipid and diet-heart hypotheses. At the time it was what we were taught, and what we believed.

It's still the case for many MD's, regardless of specialty, and might be why he's recommending no meat. Or he might personally be vegetarian/vegan ... you never know. I will say the CDA (Canadian Diabetes Association) does recommend limiting fatty meat - based on bad science, so he may just be going off of what they suggest.

Personally I would never recommending avoiding meat, it's got so many nutrients ... and it's SO tasty. :happy:

FYI, regarding the types of carbs you eat - it doesn't matter if it's 150g of fruit, vegetables and whole grains, or 150g of highly-refined flours/sugars ... All carbohydrate turns to glucose in the bloodstream, albeit at different rates, yes. While certain carbohydrates help avoid high spikes compared to others, the end-result is the same on your HbA1c - ie: for your overall glycemic control.

This is why with Type I diabetes the 'conventional wisdom' to "just count carbs and bolus" doesn't give very good glycemic control overall. Lowering carbohydrate allows for better overall glycemic control, as-well-as less-frequent bouts of hypoglycaemia (since you use less insulin overall.)

More and more physicians of differing specialties are starting to recommend lower CHO targets for their Type I as well as Type II patients now.
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Sounds like they're a good person to see if you need to get carved up, if you need pointers regarding food not so much.
  • BetesBitch
    Options
    Doctors don't really spend a lot of time on nutrition in school. Better to ask someone who specializes in such things. Like us, for example. :wink:
    ^^ True

As someone in the field (albeit with a different specialty) I have to agree with this. My medical school had ~ 25 hours total of nutrition training, and it was often devoted to the conventional wisdom of the lipid and diet-heart hypotheses. At the time it was what we were taught, and what we believed.

It's still the case for many MD's, regardless of specialty, and might be why he's recommending no meat. Or he might personally be vegetarian/vegan ... you never know. I will say the CDA (Canadian Diabetes Association) does recommend limiting fatty meat - based on bad science, so he may just be going off of what they suggest.

Personally I would never recommending avoiding meat, it's got so many nutrients ... and it's SO tasty. :happy:

FYI, regarding the types of carbs you eat - it doesn't matter if it's 150g of fruit, vegetables and whole grains, or 150g of highly-refined flours/sugars ... All carbohydrate turns to glucose in the bloodstream, albeit at different rates, yes. While certain carbohydrates help avoid high spikes compared to others, the end-result is the same on your HbA1c - ie: for your overall glycemic control.

This is why with Type I diabetes the 'conventional wisdom' to "just count carbs and bolus" doesn't give very good glycemic control overall. Lowering carbohydrate allows for better overall glycemic control, as-well-as less-frequent bouts of hypoglycaemia (since you use less insulin overall.)

More and more physicians of differing specialties are starting to recommend lower CHO targets for their Type I as well as Type II patients now.

Thanks AlbertaBeefy. Your information is always so helpful! You are great!
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I thought u meant/thought that i was already NOT eating meat. Anyways, no I don't want to recomp. Just lose weight. I was happy with my body at 140lbs before, soooo obviously I will be happy with it again at 140lbs.

That's not necessarily true. Your lean body mass to fat ratio might be completely different now than it was the last time you were at 140 lbs, meaning that you might end up weighing the same amount but not looking the way you did. I would also suggest focusing more on achieving the body you want in terms of measurements/clothing sizes than the number on the scale by focusing on recomp.

^^^ When I exercised and was 19, I looked amazing at 118. When I stopped exercising and turned 22, I needed to be 108 to look the sorta the same that I did at 118 with exercise. Things change!
    Yes i understand. Still need to get to 140 and see for myself though right.

It sounds like your actual goal is to "look like a sexy *****." If so, then the number on the scale is the wrong measure, even if there was a number that you happened to look the way you liked. Instead of just blindly losing weight and hoping you'll look the way you want, why not actively go out and get that look?

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/