A question for the girls - do you exercise during your tom?

Options
124»

Replies

• _crafty_
    _crafty_ Posts: 1,682 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't....There was a post on here a while back....I will try to find it. But it basically explained if you workout while on TOM your uterus will fall out.

Oh, well that fell out when I started lifting weights. So I should be okay, amirite?

^ this

:flowerforyou:
  • Awesomers
    Awesomers Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I exercise during TOM because it actually decreases my cramps and shortens my period. Since I've started exercising, there is rarely a month that I have painful cramps. My period also went from being 7-8 days to just 4.
  • justanotherloser007
    justanotherloser007 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. I don't find excuses to not workout.

I could find SO many excuses not to workout all the time. If this is you, find a way to persevere through the hard times of sharkweek, or "seven years of blood" as my hubby dramatically calls it. I definitely am on ibuprofen the whole way thru (sometimes longer than a week) AND I don't sweat as much. Also, I have to take iron pills and eat *blech* beef or buffalo. Trying to control my gag reflex just writing that *double blech* Also, about the nausea I find that ginger root stops it.

Between the pain meds, iron pills, and ginger root I can pretty much do my regular workouts. I usually crave chocolate that I can fit in my calorie intake for the day, but chocolate makes me break out in bad acne if I am not already breaking out.

So, I feel your pain but as a fellow sufferer I would say try to mitigate pain/cravings/lethargy as best you can because honestly when I don't workout during sharkweek THE RAGE. Seriously, I get way to angry and the only thing I can do to bypass the anger is workout. I also get nasty symptoms during ovulation, but that is another story entirely.

Don't just take it lying down, find a work around. Good luck!
  • 4daluvof_candice
    4daluvof_candice Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I've been trying to force myself to exercise for a while now and I'm making a tiny bit of progress, I guess. However, I noticed that during my tom I feel a bit too sick and don't eat very well. That coupled with general fatigue and crappy-feelingness during the period just leaves me going 'meh, to hell with it'. Problem is, if I do skip a week and do nothing at all, it's so very hard to start exercising again. My usual 'exercise only consists of a 20-minute circuit, I'm not very fit :) I'm not new to weight loss, but I'm definitely new to exercising.

So would like to know if anyone else has got this issue and how do you deal with it?

I have one for 7 days. Day 1,2,6,7 regular work out day 3-5 I walk due to common issues with periods that SOME women have. but if its too much then I dont workout. Im doing this for MYSELF not to please anybody so Im content and secure in my decisions that I make for ME.
  • scarrletti_girl
    scarrletti_girl Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I am the same way i have my tom right now but i am making up for exercising with eating healthier. I don't really exercise during my tom but i do get up and walk around the house a little bit and go to the store (occasionally when I need things)and walk around a bit so I am not a constant couch potato lol just the little things can help. and I have actually lost a few lbs of water weight in the past two days of my tom because of eating healthy and the small amounts of walking I did. Oh and switch water out for pop a few times I have done that as well lol good luck!
  • Julzanne72
    Julzanne72 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Yes. It actually helps relieve my cramps. I get that it's hard to actually get going, but once you're going, you might actually feel better. If you're not up for circuits, just go for a walk. Nice and simple but still getting you moving!
    ^^^ This!!
  • Anporti
    Anporti Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    At first I was like 'what the heck is a tom?' haha. For me personally, my period is pretty bad and I feel utterly miserable. At least with the cramps and the heavy flow. I think it might be good to lighten the load on your normal exercise if it bothers you that much to not completely deter you from exercising. Maybe a 20-30 minute walk, houseclean or even some yoga/pilates? That's what I do anyways. So that way you're not completely off plan but it also gives your body a chance to recharge, do it's cycle and you can go back the following week to do what you normally do. Just a suggestion. :) Good luck!
  • wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    Options
    Yes, I lift like a beast during TOM. I'm stronger then.
  • Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    I don't tend to run during tom but I will still go out for a walk that sometimes turns into a slow jog. And I stick with my lifting routine. It just takes me a little longer to get through it.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    i see tom referred to a lot on this site.

who is tom?

is this someone i need on my friends list?
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    I've been trying to force myself to exercise for a while now and I'm making a tiny bit of progress, I guess. However, I noticed that during my tom I feel a bit too sick and don't eat very well. That coupled with general fatigue and crappy-feelingness during the period just leaves me going 'meh, to hell with it'. Problem is, if I do skip a week and do nothing at all, it's so very hard to start exercising again. My usual 'exercise only consists of a 20-minute circuit, I'm not very fit :) I'm not new to weight loss, but I'm definitely new to exercising.

So would like to know if anyone else has got this issue and how do you deal with it?
    no I do everything I normally do. So you take a week off once a month? Exercise and eating right will help you better. Go for a walk if anything
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    time of month.

and no- do not add to friend's list.

The only thing "Friendly" about it is it means no babies- and that's awesome
    otherwise- not a friend. mostly a pain in the vagina.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options

who is tom?

Myspace-Tom-Douche-or-BAMF.jpeg
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options

who is tom?

STOP IT!

how do you know that guy?!

he was like, one of my best friends on myspace!

do you know him?! do you and i know each other!?

wow small world!
  • nilbogger
    nilbogger Posts: 870 Member
    Options

who is tom?

Oh, THAT Tom! Yes, I would exercise with him.
  • Janice2210
    Janice2210 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I also feel really yuck at this time but I normally skip gym the first day as it's the worst and then I just take it easier during spinning and weight training classes due to feeling light headed and lethargic and horrible cramps. I do feel guilty if i don't exercise as I tend to eat krap during PMS...I did read somewhere you burn an extra 300 calories a day leading up to TOM but who knows, maybe that;s wishful thinking! Wish it was more like 1000!
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    Be miserable. Or motivate yourself. Whatever has to be done, it's always your choice.
    -Wayne Dyer