Any guys having problems bulking up? I am haha

Options
I am 5'10", currently weight 179lbs but want to get to a lean 190lbs, I will even settle for a very lean 185 haha. I am consuming about 3,000 calories a day and I still seem to be burning fat. I started at 2,500 and have slowly increased the calories with the help of my trainer but I only seem to get stronger and not bigger :(

Just venting I guess lol

anybody else on the same boat?

Replies

• MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    Got to eat more.

I think I will be in the same boat come August.....I plan to try and get some weight on my frame
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    To get to a lean 190 you may want to bulk to 200-205 then cut down to 190. I don't gain too easily, each bulk cut cycle I only add about 2-3 lbs of muscle, pretty slow but I am cool with it.
  • __freckles__
    __freckles__ Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Got to eat more.

^^This.
  • iPlatano
    iPlatano Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Ive been increasing my calories by 200 weekly. I cut calories too low during my bulk. Sometimes I gain 1 pound of water from one day to another then it starts decreasing slow. Im eating 3200 and Im going to bump it up to 3500 in two days.

If you are new to lifting make sure you gain a pound a week.

If you've been training for 2 years already then I recommend you to gain 0.5 per week.

Good luck.
  • MrTolerable
    MrTolerable Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    I am 5'10", currently weight 179lbs but want to get to a lean 190lbs, I will even settle for a very lean 185 haha. I am consuming about 3,000 calories a day and I still seem to be burning fat. I started at 2,500 and have slowly increased the calories with the help of my trainer but I only seem to get stronger and not bigger :(

Just venting I guess lol

so jealous.. being 5'10" and stuck at 145-150 lbs your exactly where I wish I was right now...
  • Nanierh85
    Nanierh85 Posts: 118
    Options
    I have been slowly eating more calories per week (about 150 per week), but my weight is stable at 179 right now. I have been at that for 2 weeks, it seems that my body likes that weight, it just gets leaner. I have been training seriously for about 2 yrs.

It is just difficult to eat more, I already feel like a eat a lot, guess I will have to add some shakes. Thanks for the responses guys, I will be sending FR if you don't mind to see how you are all doing.
  • Nanierh85
    Options

Just venting I guess lol

so jealous.. being 5'10" and stuck at 145-150 lbs your exactly where I wish I was right now...

Hang in there bro, you can do it, just be consistent and work hard.

I started at a kind of fit 191 down to a 177lbs and have only added 2lbs in about 6 weeks.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    2 weeks is to early.

Keep adding in calories till you find your sweet spot.....
  • Halbared
    Halbared Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    There is no need to increase any fat weight with adding muscle weight.
    Increase your protein ratio in your cals, and make sure your training is periodized to your specific goals.
  • Nanierh85
    Options
    2 weeks is to early.

Keep adding in calories till you find your sweet spot.....

I will, I just don't want to lose too much definition in the process (I live in San Diego, it's summer all year haha), my goal is a 185 as lean as you man haha

you are looking ripped!
  • MrTolerable
    MrTolerable Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options

Just venting I guess lol

I started at a kind of fit 191 down to a 177lbs and have only added 2lbs in about 6 weeks.

Question, not to troll your thread but being the same height and similar build - what size is your waist at a lean 177-180 lbs?
  • __freckles__
    __freckles__ Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I have been slowly eating more calories per week (about 150 per week), but my weight is stable at 179 right now. I have been at that for 2 weeks, it seems that my body likes that weight, it just gets leaner. I have been training seriously for about 2 yrs.

It is just difficult to eat more, I already feel like a eat a lot, guess I will have to add some shakes. Thanks for the responses guys, I will be sending FR if you don't mind to see how you are all doing.

Agree - 2 weeks is too early. Wait at least four before bumping up calories again.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Increase your protein ratio in your cals, and make sure your training is periodized to your specific goals.

Well if that is the case you should go into bodybuilding and you will win... they all gain fat when bulking, it happens, no way to gain 100% of weight from muscle, or all those world strongmen guys would be ripped.
  • Nanierh85
    Options

Just venting I guess lol

Question, not to troll your thread but being the same height and similar build - what size is your waist at a lean 177-180 lbs?

No worries haha, I check my waist every morning because I am OCD haha, it stays around 33-33.5in

thanks @_freckles_ will keep that in mind
    212019156 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    So you have already gained 33 lbs of solid muscle (interpreting your profile)? If so its going to take you a while to legitimately gain the last 11 lbs that you are talking about.
  • iPlatano
    iPlatano Posts: 487 Member
    Options

Well if that is the case you should go into bodybuilding and you will win... they all gain fat when bulking, it happens, no way to gain 100% of weight from muscle, or all those world strongmen guys would be ripped.

I would say you're right but gaining more than 1 pound a week specially if you've been training for more than 2 years is too much. You will gain more fat than muscle at that point.
  • Chris_Pierce
    Chris_Pierce Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I have not bulked. I'm still cutting and for the first time in my life. But it seems to me that your answered your own question. If your still losing fat your not bulking.
    I know I'd have a hard time with it after working so hard to limit my intake, but it sounds like you need to eat more.
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Not a guy, but I do sometimes pretend. I'm living with a guy on a bulk and in charge of pretty much everything he eats. You need to eat more than 3000 calories to continue to progress.

Taking your age into account and the success you have had in the past, you may have already had your period of optimum gain. Your bulk from here on out needs to be long and slow. Don't put a time limit on it, but do watch the body fat percent. If it starts to look like you're gaining too much body fat, cut back a little on the calories.

Some of the other sites more concentrated on bodybuilding have had several impressive success stories of guys who bulked for 2+ years and gained about 40 pounds in the process. Just keep it up.
  • Nanierh85
    Options
    So you have already gained 33 lbs of solid muscle (interpreting your profile)? If so its going to take you a while to legitimately gain the last 11 lbs that you are talking about.

I once was at a fat 210, went down to 191 on my own. I have been working with a trainer for 14 weeks now and went to a lean 177. In the past 6 weeks I have gained 2 lbs.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options

Nearly impossible at least from the majority of people wanting to bulk.

Answer to OP: Get those calories up. I'm 6'3" and usually cut down to 205-209 range and bulk up to 225 depending on how much fat I gain. Get your protein and fats filled up on your macros, and a good way to bulk if you can drink milk like its water.