A simple thought on how to set a calorie goal

Options

Replies

• Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    So overly complicated or just wrong or a little derpy or what.

I just see people using online calculators to estimate what they should be eating based on their current weight then subtracting from that to lose weight (which works but clearly people often go too aggressive with that). I was just wondering if you could instead calculate what you would maintain at at your goal weight and then eat that for weight loss. Just as a way of suggesting it so people don't way overshoot and eat at deficits that are too high.

Suppose this is maybe overly conservative?
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    You pulled this right out of Women's World Magazine, didn't you?

giphy_zpse7997f64.gif
  • SGM_Adonis
    SGM_Adonis Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    260583__UNOPT__safe_rarity_animated_image-macro_angry_drama.gif.gif

You must be referring to Krazy Daisy. She grows on you after a while.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Bro, you're on my FL. Don't make me delete you wtih this nonsensical bulls$1t.

(Is your right arm bent on that deadlift in your avi or is it just a camera angle thing???)

Yes, this photo is about six months old....right around the time I first started doing deadlifts. The form has gotten considerably more technical.

Ah, good...because I felt a twinge in my bicep just looking at that pic.

This is coming from a guy w/ chronic elbow tendonosis though, so, you know, stones and glass houses and all that.
  • EddieHaskell97
    EddieHaskell97 Posts: 2,227 Member
    Options
    brainssuck.jpg

Too simple!
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    That's the fat2fit version

^^^ That. I haven't seen it mentioned in a couple of years.
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options

(Is your right arm bent on that deadlift in your avi or is it just a camera angle thing???)

Yes, this photo is about six months old....right around the time I first started doing deadlifts. The form has gotten considerably more technical.

This is coming from a guy w/ chronic elbow tendonosis though, so, you know, stones and glass houses and all that.

Or you could talk to the guy who had biceps tendon surgery because he did this. It sucked for him. I get nervous every time he tells me he's going to go dead lift.
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options

Oh yes, I remember them - they did a ton of podcasts about it
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    TONDq.gif
  • Aaron_K123
    Options

Oh yes, I remember them - they did a ton of podcasts about it

Well I'm not suprised, nothing new under the sun as they say.

I didn't read it from anywhere, I mean its a pretty basic thought really which is why I assumed (as stated) that its probably something that had come up and been talked to death already. Apparently the case from the amount of gif-age
  • SGM_Adonis
    Options

I was too focused on trying to explode back then, so you can actually see my feet almost on tip toes for a deadlift. I think right here it's only 325 so it isn't too bad, but definitely can't curl or drive like that now that I'm past that weight. Thanks for the concern.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options

I was too focused on trying to explode back then, so you can actually see my feet almost on tip toes for a deadlift. I think right here it's only 325 so it isn't too bad, but definitely can't curl or drive like that now that I'm past that weight. Thanks for the concern.

Yeah, the real danger in that (as you likely already know) is if the weight is heavy enough to straighten your arm under load...because bicep tendons don't like that.

...and no worries. We're all here for the same reason...which is to critique the flaws we see in other members...(or something like that).

:drinker:
  • SGM_Adonis
    Options

Yeah, the real danger in that (as you likely already know) is if the weight is heavy enough to straighten your arm under load...because bicep tendons don't like that.

...and no worries. We're all here for the same reason...which is to critique the flaws we see in other members...(or something like that).

In that case sir, you should definitely do more exercises for your face. You need some work on that mug.

• Aaron_K123
    Options

In that case sir, you should definitely do more exercises for your face. You need some work on that mug.

lol well at least something good came out of this post
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options

Fun with flaws!
  • sodakat
    sodakat Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    There is a similar "thought" on this page: http://calorieline.com/tools/tdee (under the heading TDEE Continued: Mary and the Diet Roller Coaster)
  • jofjltncb6
    Options

Ouch!

I hope your right arm falls off.

(ETA: But seriously, I LiterallyLedOL. :laugh: )
  • Aaron_K123
    Options
    Alright all mea culpa time. I posted this as an alternative to TDEE -20% because I've seen many people who aren't that overweight take that approach who shouldn't and end up with a calorie level that has them way undereating. Of course with the method I described, which basically approaches the set calories from the other end, you get a similar issue for people who are obese where they would be eating way to little.

Fact is there is no "one size fits all" set of rules for setting calories and really my "overcomplicated" post was an oversimplification that would be bad advice to some.

So nevermind, scratch that...will put it in my dustbin.

Let the gifs continue.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    Alright all mea culpa time. I posted this as an alternative to TDEE -20% because I've seen many people who aren't that overweight take that approach who shouldn't and end up with a calorie level that has them way undereating. Of course with the method I described, which basically approaches the set calories from the other end, you get a similar issue for people who are obese where they would be eating way to little.

Fact is there is no "one size fits all" set of rules for setting calories and really my "overcomplicated" post was an oversimplification that would be bad advice to some.

Let the gifs continue.

Forget the gifs...

...we're into some kind of "airing of grievances" derivative where we point out flaws in others.

The lamp in your avi is a serious fire hazard.
  • Aaron_K123
    Options

Let the gifs continue.

Forget the gifs...

...we're into some kind of "airing of grievances" derivative where we point out flaws in others.

The lamp in your avi is a serious fire hazard.

So is your face! <bawls and runs out of the room crying>