Want to run but..shin splints

Options
iceey
iceey Posts: 354 Member
I have always liked the idea of running and I love how many runners look so good! But every time I try to run or even walk fast, I get shin splints and have to stop. I have orthotics in my running shoes and good running shoes (according to the Running Room and the orthotics doctor). Should I just be resigned to the fact that I will never be a runner or is there something I can do?

Replies

• thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Shin splints are normal and it's your body getting used to running. Keep on running and they'll go away eventually. I never get them anymore.
  • brizzeem
    brizzeem Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Once you start using them more and tone them up it should get better. This is going to sound weird but your running form should be "lead with your knees not your feet". What this will help you do is put more work in your knees rather then focusing on raising your feet which will make your shins work harder. At first start walking, then faster to get them warmed up then start jogging. If you feel the pain start coming back go to a walk until you feel comfortable then start running again.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    OTOH running more can result in permanent damage that requires an operation.

I'd look into doing shin splint exercises. It's down to a muscular imbalance and certain exercises can help either used as rehab or prior to running.

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/shin-splints/Pages/Introduction.aspx
  • TriNoob
    TriNoob Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    What distance are you running?
  • meganjcallaghan
    meganjcallaghan Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    I had high blood pressure and someone suggested Chia Seed to me, saying they had eaten it just for the sake of having some good fats but when her blood pressure ended up too low her doctor told her they may be the cause. I thought "hey why not?" They didn't do anything for my BP, but I noticed that while I had only been able to run 30 seconds at a time because of shin splints, about 2 days after I started eating them I could run my full 6k route without any issue and without stopping. I didn't connect the dots until I was looking at some articles on the benefits of Chia and they mentioned that the seed is supposed to reduce inflammation. Since that's pretty much what's going on with shin splints I suspect they might have been involved in the quick disappearance of them for me. You could try giving that a shot. No harm in trying...the stuff is good for you regardless.
  • iceey
    Options

It's any distance. 10 seconds and they hurt.
  • iceey
    Options
    OTOH running more can result in permanent damage that requires an operation.

I'd look into doing shin splint exercises. It's down to a muscular imbalance and certain exercises can help either used as rehab or prior to running.

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/shin-splints/Pages/Introduction.aspx

Good article thanks. What exercise is good for splints?
  • Eric_DeCastro
    Eric_DeCastro Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    there are stretches for the muscles in your shin so you won't get shin splints. and you can also use KT Tape to ease the pain. i also use compression sleeves or socks. i still get them for the first mile or so and I stretch them. I just power through them and they go away.
  • Still_Fluffy
    Still_Fluffy Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Strength training will help you build musles in your leg which will help as well.
  • itodd4019
    itodd4019 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    this is gunna sound funny, but it is effecive.

use the little chick dumbells, and lift them with your toes. Or you can put the edge of a 5lb on your toes and lift it.

it will fire your shin muscle. Small movement, tender muscle, be careful

Do not do too many of them, they can cripple you. Then gradually build yourself up

and Squats!
  • tycho_mx
    tycho_mx Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    there are stretches for the muscles in your shin so you won't get shin splints. and you can also use KT Tape to ease the pain. i also use compression sleeves or socks. i still get them for the first mile or so and I stretch them. I just power through them and they go away.

Disagree. Don't just "power through" anything. Observe, Assess, Decide, Act.

Based on the original post, the author doesn't seem to be a lifetime athlete. Which means that it's very likely that her shin muscles are actually relatively weak. How does one deal with that? Progressive training to strengthen them.

If you have no idea what's going on, my advice is to make gradual increases. Hurting a bit is normal, Getting injured is undesirable and will sideline you. And yes, KT tape, stretches, self massage with your hands or a rigid ball help. But if the reality is that your tibial stress is derived from muscular weakness, you need to address that. And it takes time (remember, training doesn't make you fitter, it actually makes you temporarily weaker from fatigue. ADAPTATION to training makes you fitter.
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    My sports medicine doc described why solid stretching from the achilles all the way to the hip flexors & glutes is important to help minimis shin splints. Imagine a bow from bows & arrows. Your shin bones are the rigid frame you hold on to and your muscles/tendons are the "bow". The tighter you make your calves/achilles and such, the more they pull on the frame of your bow, like when an archer is drawing back an arrow. It puts a LOT of stress on the bones. Stretching out well helps minimize the stress.

And, good running form is important. You may be putting too much stress on your lower legs by how you stride.
  • dont_tap_my_aces
    dont_tap_my_aces Posts: 125 Member
    Options

It's any distance. 10 seconds and they hurt.

I'm in the same boat as you. Every since my HS days running any distance on concrete would give me shin splits very quickly.

I found treadmill running helps a little at first, but even then eventually my body catches on and the pain returns.

the only thing that worked for me was the Elliptical Glider's where you are suspended in air. those were nearly zero impact and i never got shin splits using those.
  • iceey
    Options
    this is gunna sound funny, but it is effecive.

use the little chick dumbells, and lift them with your toes. Or you can put the edge of a 5lb on your toes and lift it.

it will fire your shin muscle. Small movement, tender muscle, be careful

Do not do too many of them, they can cripple you. Then gradually build yourself up

and Squats!

Ah perfect. I do squats and I'm a moderately active person, so I'm not new to working out, just new to running. But still possible that I have weak shin muscles! I will try these exercises, thanks.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    I have them, too. I have trouble with any sort of impact exercise (jumping jacks, etc).

Someone on here told me to rest them for a few days, tape them, and then work them by going up on your toes, and back down, back up, back down (I'm sure there is a name for this, I don't know what it is). Also, lots of stretching before and after a run/workout.

I wouldn't power through or keep going - you could seriously injure yourself.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    You definitely want to do some shin/calf exercises (google "shin split exercises" and you'll find plenty). And try running on something softer -- I hesitate to recommend a treadmill, bc if you're just starting out, you probably want to control your pace without hitting a button to slow down or speed up. If there are any dirt paths/trails near you, try running on those, or some grass. It will be less stress on your shins and the rest of your legs too :)
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Shin splints are normal and it's your body getting used to running. Keep on running and they'll go away eventually. I never get them anymore.

Shin splints are not normal, and it's an injury caused by one of a number of different factors. Worst case, running through shin splints leads to permanent damage that may require reconstructive surgery on the knee and/ or ankle. Been there, done that. Regardless I've worked out how to avoid shin splints now and working on half marathon distance.

There are a number of potential causes, including the shoes being the wrong type, worn out or ill fitting, as already identified.

The other main causes are running form, and muscular imbalance in the leg.

The former is dealt with by focussing on the landing portion, with the forward leg close to the main body mass so that the body isn't being lifted over the lever of the leg. That leads to most thrust coming from the forward push of the leg. It takes time to learn and can be helped by increasing the cadence.

The easier to deal with is the muscle imbalance. Strengthening the shin muscle using resistance bands or sandbags to lift the toe against, or using a bike with clipless pedals or toe straps, and consciously lifting the foot as well as pushing down.

Complementing the running with resistance training can help as well.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    This exercise helps: http://eserv.co.uk/irl2/the-best-exercise-for-combating-shin-splints/

When I remember to do it. :laugh:
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I get horrid shin splints and my old boss (who does the 100km Oxfam walk and a myriad of runs) told me to spend 5 minutes a night kneeling with my toes pointed back with my butt on my heels to push the stretch. You can feel the stretch down your shins and it was helping last time I did it. I'm starting Zombies, Run 5k and need to start the stretches again as I've been getting nasty shin splits again.
  • Yagisama
    Yagisama Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I've always hated running because of the shin splints. I've started running again and running only 0.25 miles is enough.

I've tried doing some of these exercises but haven't done enough to see if it helps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DoOoXOqoyx0

I haven't tried any shin Splint Compression Sleeve yet.