How long to run in order to get into the fat burning zone?

Options
2»

Replies

• PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    You are always burning fat. If you want to burn a higher amount of calories from fat (as a percentage), then just walk. Running and keeping your heart rate up burns a higher percentage of carbs. The reason why high intensity can burn more fat has to do with hormones, not calories. Although, if you are running a long distance and your heart rate stays pretty high, that's when your body might become too stressed and hold onto fat due to cortisol.

If I were you, I would run and walk to burn fat. Interval sprints/jogs would be best. Whatever you enjoy. I don't believe that you have to run for 40 minutes before you start burning fat. If that were the case, then sprinters (who have amazing bodies) wouldn't burn any fat.

The thing with that is, even if you are in the correct zone for burning a higher percentage of fat - which is hard to do because those tables are terribly inaccurate - you are at a low intensity, so overall you burn fewer calories. Yes, a higher percentage may be from "fat" but that number is low. If you work out at a higher intensity, there is a lower percentage of "fat" burned, but overall calories are much higher, so even the smaller percent is still higher.

In the end - workout. Don't worry about what zone you are in. A calorie deficit burns fat, exercise for health and fitness.

When it comes to losing weight, there is so much more than just calories in vs calories out. If our bodies were machines, it would be that easy but it isn't. Hormones are the deciding factor for fat loss, not calories. Sure, calories play a major role but they are definitely not everything. How many people do you know that eat very little but hold onto weight. I know plenty of nurses that are on their feet for 12 hours, don't eat much, and are still obese. It's all about hormones.

^Nope.

It's all about the calories. And then, maybe, physical activity. Hormones may have some impact, but it's relatively minor. If hormones are having a major impact, then there is a medical condition.

For the vast majority of the population, it's calories in and calories out. You don't know what those nurses eat when they are at home or on their day off.

I'm sorry but this is just bad information. Hormones are the most powerful fat burning and muscle building chemicals in our body. Why do you think athletes take steroids and T3 or T4 for building muscle and burning fat.

And yes, I do know what those nurses eat. I've lived with them before.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

I'm sorry but this is just bad information. Hormones are the most powerful fat burning and muscle building chemicals in our body. Why do you think athletes take steroids and T3 or T4 for building muscle and burning fat.

You living with them is not the same thing as a metabolic ward where energy variables are tightly controlled. Much less simple tracking on MFP.

My point being, you can observe their diet habits but this in no way negates energy balance, or proves that they are on low energy intake.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    You are always burning fat. If you want to burn a higher amount of calories from fat (as a percentage), then just walk. Running and keeping your heart rate up burns a higher percentage of carbs. The reason why high intensity can burn more fat has to do with hormones, not calories. Although, if you are running a long distance and your heart rate stays pretty high, that's when your body might become too stressed and hold onto fat due to cortisol.

If I were you, I would run and walk to burn fat. Interval sprints/jogs would be best. Whatever you enjoy. I don't believe that you have to run for 40 minutes before you start burning fat. If that were the case, then sprinters (who have amazing bodies) wouldn't burn any fat.

The thing with that is, even if you are in the correct zone for burning a higher percentage of fat - which is hard to do because those tables are terribly inaccurate - you are at a low intensity, so overall you burn fewer calories. Yes, a higher percentage may be from "fat" but that number is low. If you work out at a higher intensity, there is a lower percentage of "fat" burned, but overall calories are much higher, so even the smaller percent is still higher.

In the end - workout. Don't worry about what zone you are in. A calorie deficit burns fat, exercise for health and fitness.

When it comes to losing weight, there is so much more than just calories in vs calories out. If our bodies were machines, it would be that easy but it isn't. Hormones are the deciding factor for fat loss, not calories. Sure, calories play a major role but they are definitely not everything. How many people do you know that eat very little but hold onto weight. I know plenty of nurses that are on their feet for 12 hours, don't eat much, and are still obese. It's all about hormones.

^Nope.

It's all about the calories. And then, maybe, physical activity. Hormones may have some impact, but it's relatively minor. If hormones are having a major impact, then there is a medical condition.

For the vast majority of the population, it's calories in and calories out. You don't know what those nurses eat when they are at home or on their day off.

I am not quite sure what that proves. Hormones can affect metabolism, yes, I think we all agree.

I am amazed at your ability to track other people's food intake. I've become quite proficient at estimating my own without strict logging. I still couldn't tell you my husband's intake and we live together too. Sometimes I even let him out of the house without me so that confounds things even more.
  • lilika_49
    lilika_49 Posts: 53
    Options
    This hormone debate is all well and good...but it has somewhat strayed from my original inquiry about macro nutrients and how many carbs and fats I need a day and how much they affect my weight, if I go over them, BUT stay within my calorie limit!
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    This hormone debate is all well and good...but it has somewhat strayed from my original inquiry about macro nutrients and how many carbs and fats I need a day and how much they affect my weight, if I go over them, BUT stay within my calorie limit!

I agree it has strayed but I'm confused, I thought the question was about how long to run to get into the fat burning zone.

But to answer that question you may want to check out this link - there is a ton of information including a link to helping set your macro nutrient goals
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants?
  • F00LofaT00K
    F00LofaT00K Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I just hope I am sticking to the correct calorie intake daily....Is there any way to be sure? Website's results of what my daily BMR should be vary loads! some website says for my level of activity and my physique, I will need to consume a net calorie of 2000 a day, while another says 1400 and some say 1350!! How can I find a reliable figure??

There is no real way to be 100% sure since each person's metabolism will work differently and each individual food you eat will have a variation in calories. Not all "10g of peanuts" will contain the same exact number of calories or fat or protein. Some may have more moisture and fewer calories and some may be fattier than others. Everything is always just an estimate when it comes to calories consumed and burned. Your best bet is to get a food scale if you don't already have one and weigh your food. I got one and was amazed by how different my measured portions became. I was eating way too much of some things and not enough of others. As for how much to eat, it's a good idea to get an estimate of what your body needs to stay at its current weight and eat about 15% fewer calories than that. If you are losing too slowly, eat another 50 calories less each day. If you are losing too quickly, eat an extra 50 calories each day. It is largely trial and error to find what works best for each individual. . . but a generic estimate is a good jumping off point. Each time you make a change, give it a few weeks before deciding whether or not it's giving results.
    2000 seems like A LOT to me, I can't eat 2000 calories a day, if I try! I am trying to stick to 1200 calories a day, which really is 1700, -500 for exercise...but I don't know if that's healthy or not? Also...there is this whole thing about macro numbers, like fats and carbs, which confuse me too much! If I stick to a 1200 calorie intake but go over my carbs and fats, do I still lose weight?? What is a healthy level of carbs and fats? I know protein levels should be high for muscle repair...but it all gets way too confusing and I'm scared I'm doing something wrong!

1200 is not ideal for most people, with a few exceptions for incredible short people or people with medical conditions that effect the metabolism. 1200 is about the minimum a large percentage of adult females can eat and still get more-or-less enough vitamins and minerals to stay healthy. You are better off eating more food and losing weight more slowly. You will be less hungry throughout the process, therefor less likely to give in and overeat. . . and you will be more likely to keep the weight off once you reach your goal. It will be easier to switch to maintenance if you only have to increase your calories by a little bit. The more you eat while losing weight, the more you will become accustomed to your new lifestyle and the easier eating normal portions will be forever.

As far as percentages of macros, what is ideal will depend on your lifestyle. Active people need more carbs for energy, weight lifters need more protein for muscle repair. Fat is important for hormone regulations and organ function. A starting point for that could be about 40% carb, 30% fat and 30% protein. You can adjust those as you see fit. I can't eat more than 25% protein or my bowels don't function for whatever reason. A lot of people will recommend eating .8g-1g of protein per pound of lean body mass to help preserve the muscle as you lose weight.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    The "fat burning zone" was a marketing gimmick used by exercise equipment manufacturers. It worked since it's still a prevalent myth that is so hard to kill. OP, everyone that mentioned the calorie deficit burning fat is correct.

“A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on.”
    -Winston Churchill
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options

^Nope.

Who ever handed you the shovel please give it back. When you already in a hole, throwing dirt on yourself just doesn't work. Hormones are one of the variables with weight loss, they are not 'the factor'.