Protein and vegetarianism

Options

Replies

• VeganCappy
    VeganCappy Posts: 122
    Options
    Amazing how many people resort to ad hominem when faced with actual logic and science they cannot dispute. Now I am being accused of lying or doing drugs. WOW!

Thanks to the rest of you who have kept this discussion mature, relevant, and factual.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    Amazing how many people resort to ad hominem when faced with actual logic and science they cannot dispute. Now I am being accused of lying or doing drugs. WOW!

Thanks to the rest of you who have keep this discussion mature, relevant, and factual.

Endless entertainment
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options

Thanks to the rest of you who have kept this discussion mature, relevant, and factual.
    Put up a pic of the 40 pounds of muscle you claimed you gained, and then sell a book on how you did it. There are literally millions of lifters who would buy the book in a heartbeat.
  • SunofaBeach14
    Options
  • allotmentgardener
    allotmentgardener Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I've been vegetarian for 14 years now and although it has been a struggle hitting my protein at first (130g +-) I learned how to eat to hit my goals. Feel free to check my diary for inspiration, although you will find chicken like once a week when I'm too lazy to cook two meals (my partner is a meat eater). In a nutshell it's a lot of cheese, eggs, cottage, quark, Quorn every now and then etc. Beans & chickpeas are good too but a bit carb heavy to eat all the time.. Plus I have 1-2 scoops of whey daily, I get mine from myprotein.com it's the most student budget friendly source..:)

If you eat chicken you are not vegetarian!
    The rest of my family are meat eaters but I don't eat meat and that includes not eating chicken and fish.
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options

Put up a pic of the 40 pounds of muscle you claimed you gained, and then sell a book on how you did it. There are literally millions of lifters who would buy the book in a heartbeat.

Not holding my breath for this one.
  • VeganCappy
    Options
    If you will believe a photo on the internet before actual science, you are prone to believe anything.
  • FunkyTobias
    Options
    Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.
  • VeganCappy
    Options
    Good thing I provided the evidence from the World Health Organization.
  • SunofaBeach14
    Options
    If you will believe a photo on the internet before actual science, you are prone to believe anything.

Still waiting on your actual science. And your picture. Oh, and for you to actually read the article you posted.
  • SunofaBeach14
    Options

Definitely THE source for exercise and sports nutrition science. I lean towards the UN for post-work out nutrition advice.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options

their data is based on what's the bare minimum needed for survival, and what the definition of a famine is. It's not a guide for optimal health.
  • SunofaBeach14
    Options

their data is based on what's the bare minimum needed for survival, and what the definition of a famine is. It's not a guide for optimal health.

Eeeek! Stop giving away the punchline!
  • VeganCappy
    Options

Not true. If you read it, it clearly shows they found 2.5% to be the minimum for 97.5% of the population. They doubled it to cover 99% of the population. And then doubled it again for good measure. It is just under 10% of protein by calories.
  • FunkyTobias
    Options

Not true. If you read it, it clearly shows they found 2.5% to be the minimum for 97.5% of the population. They doubled it to cover 99% of the population. And then doubled it again for good measure. It is just under 10% of protein by calories.

To avoid malnutrition. NOT for optimal body composition.

And still waiting for evidence of the 40lbs muscle gain.
  • greatness
    greatness Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I've also been a vegetarian for 7 years now… When I first began it was for the intent of leading a "cleaner" life style away from the temptations of fast food and the harshness of meats on our digestive track. I lost a significant amour of weight coupled with my obsession with fitness and weightless and have now been able to better coerce my motives to general health and wellness.

balancing protein and iron intake are my major priorities as some of the more common pitfalls of being a strict vegetarian (occasionally I eat fish because of severe anemia). I am also a college student that can't afford to purchase all of the vegan and vegetarian meat replacement foods on a regular basis.

canister of good protein can run anywhere from 30-60 bucks but I consider it a good investment since I like to add protein to pancakes or "brownies". I put it in smoothies and yogurt or bran muffins and things so that I don't get bored with it or resent it.

I eat tofu sparingly but its extremely cheap and can stretch about 3 meals or so.
    Black and kidney beans are also a cheap and filling favorite of mined, they make great soups!
    Quinoa and couscous are excellent sources of protein and sometimes I will dice up some tomatoes, onion, throw in a little corn and make grilled/stuffed bell peppers with it
    eggs are versatile if you get bored with eating them scrambled. I make egg white muffins with cinnamon and some berries or banana and egg white pancakes. You can also make a scramble with that and like chop up a veggie patty for breakfast.

I think primarily the aspect of being a vegetarian comes with diversifying your recipe life otherwise eating a lot of the same thing can be mentally taxing. Also, Ive had my boughs with the symptoms of protein deficiency and my hematologist recommended that as someone who exercises/lifts regularly I am to multiply my body weight X 0.4 to figure how may grams I should aim for in the day.

My diary is open to view if thats any help too….
  • allotmentgardener
    allotmentgardener Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I've also been a vegetarian for 7 years now… When I first began it was for the intent of leading a "cleaner" life style away from the temptations of fast food and the harshness of meats on our digestive track. I lost a significant amour of weight coupled with my obsession with fitness and weightless and have now been able to better coerce my motives to general health and wellness.

balancing protein and iron intake are my major priorities as some of the more common pitfalls of being a strict vegetarian (occasionally I eat fish because of severe anemia). I am also a college student that can't afford to purchase all of the vegan and vegetarian meat replacement foods on a regular basis

I think primarily the aspect of being a vegetarian comes with diversifying your recipe life....

If you eat fish you are not a vegetarian. Pescetarian yes. Vegetarian no.
  • Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    I scanned the article you provided. Here's what I saw:
    For an individual, a safe individual intake has been defined as the 97.5th percentile of the distribution of individual requirements, nominally the average + 1.96SD. Thus any individual receiving such an intake will have a very low (<2.5%) risk of deficiency (intake < requirement).

(...)

For adults, the protein requirement per kg body weight is considered to be the same for both sexes, at all ages, and for all body weights within the acceptable range. The value accepted for the safe level of intake is 0.83 g/kg per day, for proteins with a protein digestibility-corrected amino acid score value of 1.0.
    For a 70 kg dude, this is 58g of protein, or 11.2% of caloric intake (I know because I'm a 70 kg dude).

The 0.8g/kg is a figure I've seen before and which I think is reasonable as a minimum (I aim for 1.2g/kg to be on the safe side). I never heard of your figures of 0.66g/kg or 2.5% of caloric intake before.

Would you mind telling me where you found them in the cited 260p study?
  • VeganCappy
    Options
    Yes, you are correct. The recommendation is .83g/kg. The .66 number is the mean which stuck in my head. It has been a while since I read it.

"This is clearly shown in a recent meta-analysis of all nitrogen balance studies reported to date (13). The median requirement (0.66 g/kg per day) was more than twice the obligatory nitrogen losses (0.3 g/kg per day) because the slope was <0.5. Furthermore, there was no significant influence of variation in the protein sources (animal, vegetable or mixed protein) on the slope and consequent requirement. This implies that for human adults, net protein utilization values for diets of most sources are similar, but much lower than would be predicted. Agreement has not yet been reached on an explanation for this, although one suggestion is that it is a consequence of incomplete adaptation (22). In any event, it is an indication of the importance of gaining a better understanding of how the organism adapts to variation in protein intake."

"In studies of the obligatory nitrogen loss, subjects fed a protein- free diet took between 10 and 17 days to achieve a constant low level of urea nitrogen excretion (28). In studies involving diets in which protein intakes were reduced from adequate to 0.35 g/kg per day, adult men took from 7 to 28 days to achieve nitrogen equilibrium (29). The subjects studied by Oddoye & Margen (27) took from 16 to >40 days to achieve balance after the reduction in intake from 3 to 1 g protein/kg per day."

"It is unclear whether the protein gained during periods of increased protein intake is retained, or whether the protein lost during periods of low protein intake is regained if the treatments are continued, as there has been no sys- tematic study of body composition of adults in relation to variation of protein intakes within the normal range in well-fed societies. However, attempts to increase muscle mass by increases in protein intake within the normal range have generally failed. Thus Lemon et al. (30) fed protein at 2.62 g/kg per day or 1.35 g/kg per day for 1 month during intensive weight training in a ran- domized double-blind cross-over study, and found no difference in measured strength (voluntary and electrically evoked) and muscle mass (density, cre- atinine excretion, muscle area by CAT scan, and biceps nitrogen content)."