I don't lose weight- scientific miracle?

Options

Replies

• tycho_mx
    tycho_mx Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    When people don't lose weight, the answer is simple: they are not incurring a caloric deficit.

Now, the cause of this is manifold:

1. Inaccurate logging/estimation of calories (this is awfully common since it's a lot of work to weigh and assess all your food. Most of us take shortcuts like using a measuring TBS of peanut butter instead of taring the scale every time)

2. Inaccurate estimation of expenditure. Sure, you walk the dog. Sure, you work out and lift. It still is bloody hard work to burn more than 600 cal/hour. In my experience, only people that have been at it for a while can do it consistently.

3. Inaccurate basal metabolic rate estimate: this is the part of the "scientific miracle" you might be alluding. The tables, equations, charts, etc. of BMR, TDEE, etc. are estimates for the average population. There's enough variance in healthy, normal humans that you might burn more or less than the model you're using tells you. I am a low burner, but I found it out after much frustration. I am one of those guys with very low resting heart rate (mid 30's) and low body temperature unless I am working out. So I had to reduce my base calorie intake from the original estimates when I wasn't getting the expected outcome. Most people don't know exactly what these rates are - they don't need to, the model works reasonably well for them.

4. Sure, you may have some thyroid/hormonal disease. It's unlikely (<5% population have these undiagnosed), but even then the math is still valid. Just the model is even more deviated from the mean so you need to make those adjustments.

No thermodynamic miracles :)
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    ....open your diary!
    dead-horse.gif

Bottom of this page right here:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings

:bigsmile:
  • SomeNights246
    SomeNights246 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    had an ED until i was 28

Op very well could have a metabolic disorder.
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Knowing numbers helps a ton. Such as BMR, TDEE without exercise, etc. As well as an open diary.

Measuring by weight rather than volume is pretty much essential. The sheer difference amazes me at times. My favorite example was a single serving of cereal said X for volume and Y for weight as 1 serving, when in reality the volume was 50% larger.

Open your diary. Give us your numbers. From there, advice can be given.
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    Since the exercise is inconsistent AND the OP is now in their 40s...it also sounds like muscle loss to me over the decades, simply from growing older. Less muscle = fewer calories you can eat.
    It's generally accepted that we lose muscles as we grow older, all other things being equal. But since all things aren't equal, this can be offset with diet and weight lifting. At 61, I'm more muscular now than I was in my 20's and 30's.

I'm sticking with the idea that this problem is beyond the scope of MFP forum advice. A medical exam is in order.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    Then you are eating more than you think
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    If you are a scientific miracle, you should go to a doctor and get it confirmed. If you truly can not lose weight, you can make a lot of money by letting the scientific community test you.
  • in_the_stars
    in_the_stars Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    Participate in clinical trials! There's several universities that will even pay for participants. :)

*Oh... and even if you are removed (because you are not showing the results they wanted) you will still have all your test results and are usually paid the full amount for participating. :)
  • jcolier
    jcolier Posts: 64
    Options
    Contrary to what others may say, it sounds like your body has adapted to a lower calorie intake. Through many years of not eating enough, your body most likely used your muscles for protein, possibly other organs for nutrients if you were not getting enough vitamins. Your body stores and keeps fat when it can, assuming it wont get enough food.

There is a group here "eat more to lose weight". Read up what they have to say.

I'm assuming all your blood work is fine.
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I'm assuming all your blood work is fine.
    I wouldn't assume that.
  • bombshellcertification
    bombshellcertification Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Harmones and stress can definitely wreck havoc in the 40's especially for women...and make weight loss a challenge-fat & metab get tricky/ stubborn. If your metabolism/energy and activity have slowed too,,,I agree to seeing a Dr., full blood panel and harmones check....I have been struggling too, have been under a great deal of stress and my blood tests came back ok except for low blood sugar/glucose--still have to get harmones checked--and keep stress down (cortisol goes right to my belly these days-) Get checked out, youll have peace of mind that you did & and then you can address it accordingly. Best wishes..
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,568 Member
    Options
    2 things come to mind: lack of lean muscle, and lack of sleep.

Personally I've heard the "I can't lose weight" story from many members, then for some miraculous reason when they train with me for a month, they lose it. 99% of people who think they are doing everything right are doing it right about 60% of the time.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • DianeinCA
    DianeinCA Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Since the exercise is inconsistent AND the OP is now in their 40s...it also sounds like muscle loss to me over the decades, simply from growing older. Less muscle = fewer calories you can eat.
    It's generally accepted that we lose muscles as we grow older, all other things being equal. But since all things aren't equal, this can be offset with diet and weight lifting. At 61, I'm more muscular now than I was in my 20's and 30's.

I'm sticking with the idea that this problem is beyond the scope of MFP forum advice. A medical exam is in order.

I am also more muscular than I was in my early 20s. I was basing my comments off what the OP said, thinking of one element perhaps they had not considered.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Hello, i searched the boards but i am not finding exactly what i am looking for (as everyone's experience is different, of course). I have been changing my eating over the course of years but during all of my adult life, my weight has stayed the same. I just saw a post wherein someone said 'if you create a calorie deficit you WILL lose'.....but what if you don't. ever. lose? i have been a vegetarian for 23 years, I gave up diet soda 10 years ago, i became a vegan about 4 yrs ago(i occasionally eat cheese but PARSE it out but NO other dairy), i eat a plant based diet that i supplement with two protein bars a day (they have whey but they are the only low carb, low sugar, tasty ones i liked), i drink water all day, eat little meals- try to eat every three hours or so. i don't snack, i don't binge, i don't eat out. i work out but inconsistently (like everyday for a month, then not for two weeks, then again for 3 weeks, etc and this has been the case since i was 20- i am now 44). i have logged my calories to be 1200 to 1400 cals a day. I am rarely hungry. I went to a nutritionist because i started to GAIN- she said i was eating too little, so i ate a little more.....and my weight is still the same. i been around 160 exactly my whole adult life (i am 5'4"- so yes, i am decidedly overweight and no, i am no big boned. i was a chubby kid and teen for reference BUT i ate JUNK JUNK JUNK until i was about 23 and had an ED until i was 28. now i eat like a monk and no change. my blood panel was totally normal. i take no medications (except starting this week Qsymia, which i know gets no love on this site). i have been thin at two points in my life (ha!) post breakup in which i basically became manically obsessed and all i did (LITERALLY) was work out all day and drink protein shakes. Science and MFP tells me nobody should have to live this way to lose some weight. (but it illustrates it IS possible for me- just not sustainable). I am not vying for the role of Wolverine in Xmen.
    so, any suggestions that i haven't heard ? has ANYONE else experience this? Made massive lifestyle changes and experience NO weight loss?
    Your ticker says you've lost 10 pounds, yet above you say it's impossible for you to lose weight. What's up with that?

Your diary is not open. If you want concrete advice, you might want to make it public.

If you truly are eating low calories and not losing weight, it's either (1) you have a medical problem inhibiting your weight loss, such as thyroid or maybe insulin resistance, or some other problem or (2) you are miscalculating your calories in and/or out.

That said, no you are not a scientific miracle aka special snowflake.
  • in_the_stars
    Options

I am. Tell me why I can't gain weight? :smile:
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options

You don't eat enough calories.
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    OP can you open your diary?
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options

Really? REALLY? :noway:

Op I suspect you've buggered up your metabolism via your ed combined with bad logging.

Have you ever eaten at a reasonable level?
  • in_the_stars
    Options

No... I tracked (3 years ago here) at 2500+ daily. I gained 1 pound per month and went from 97 to 103 pounds. Lost it in 2 weeks of eating only 1700 or so calories daily.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

No... I tracked (3 years ago here) at 2500+ daily. I gained 1 pound per month and went from 97 to 103 pounds. Lost it in 2 weeks of eating only 1700 or so calories daily.

So what you are saying is when you eat more you gain weight, when you eat less you lose it?
    Gotcha.