cottage cheese = YUCK!

Options

Replies

• jmv7117
    jmv7117 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    i wanted to try cottage cheese since i herd that its very popular. its high in protein and wanted to try something else rather than greek yoghurt. so i bought a pot yesterday, fat free, scooped some passion fruit in, mixed with some seeds, nuts and pinch of cinnamon and nutmeg. i put the first spoon in my mouth and just wanted to spit it out YUCK! :sick: . i tried again just to make sure and still the same. i dont know what it is- the lump texture? sour taste?, but how do people eat this?

I've always liked cottage cheese, plain with nothing added. It is also good added to a fruit smoothie or protein shake. You won't taste the cottage cheese but it adds a creamy, full body texture. I use 2% MF cottage cheese. The fat free cottage cheese has less flavour but more sodium and carbs.
  • andylowry
    andylowry Posts: 89
    Options
    Try ricotta instead. You can mix it with whatever you like.
  • _karyn_
    _karyn_ Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I used to love it but it's got soooo much sodium in it. if you don't like it, you don't like it.
  • jmv7117
    jmv7117 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    I love it! I personally think youre eating it a weird way. I eat it with savoury foods, thats just me though :laugh:

Agreed. It's not yogurt, it's cheese. Why would you put fruit in it? Gross. I know some people do. I know some people put french dressing and pineapples on it for some reason, too. Not for me. I'm down with just a plain half cup of curds and whey and maybe some celery or something.

Many varieties of cheese pair nicely with fruits and of course wines which are fruit based. You can buy fruit mixed with cheese suitable for fancy cheese platters. Cottage cheese is often served with canned peaches here as well but I've seen it paired with a variety of fruits as well.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    I love my cottage cheese! For breakfast w/ berries. For lunch w/ diced tomatos, onions, black pepper.
  • Onderwoman
    Onderwoman Posts: 130
    Options
    You are doing it wrong! Passion fruit? Nuts and sweet/tart fruit? No fat not 2% or 4%? All those added at once? What brand did you get? Sounds like it was made yucky and didn't start out that way!
  • janemcd67
    janemcd67 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I agree on the YUCK. The texture is fine in my opinion, and the creamy varieties can be a bit yummy, but it makes me feel lethargic and wiped out. I finally realized I never have to eat it again.
    Also, if you put anything by the ER4YB, Bloodtype A+ is not compatible with this food. Not sure how much I believe in ER4YB, but it was true for cottage cheese, and it was true that blueberries are one of the yummiest foods for me. So a good reminder for me to eat more blueberries!
  • Onderwoman
    Onderwoman Posts: 130
    Options
    I agree on the YUCK. The texture is fine in my opinion, and the creamy varieties can be a bit yummy, but it makes me feel lethargic and wiped out. I finally realized I never have to eat it again.
    Also, if you put anything by the ER4YB, Bloodtype A+ is not compatible with this food. Not sure how much I believe in ER4YB, but it was true for cottage cheese, and it was true that blueberries are one of the yummiest foods for me. So a good reminder for me to eat more blueberries!

Yes don't inject it too, because it doesn't mix with any "blood types".
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I used to avoid cottage cheese like th plague.. I finally forced myself to try it.. and I love it..
    Plain
    with protein powered
    with fruit
    with jam
    used as a topping for pancakes
    used to make pancakes

I just love it now.. although the sight is still off putting to me.. i just don't look at it much LOL
    I so love the far east Asians for leaving that stinking disgustingness off the menu and they don't stick it in your face when you visit their homes either.
    I don't know anyone who sticks cottage cheese in my face when I visit nor do I know many restaurants that do that. I actually rarely ever see it out amongst the spread when I attend pot lucks.. very rarely does it make an appearance at those types of things.
  • Pamela_in_Progress
    Pamela_in_Progress Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    There's a gazillion other foods in the world. Just don't eat it?

but i've got 1 and 1/2 600g pots of the lumpy stuff in the fridge just sitting there, staring and laughing at me every time i open the door, it freaks me out and i have no idea what to do!!!

either option a) find a recipe to eat it that does want to make me throw up , option b) throw it at the cat and see if she likes it

Use it to make lasagna. That's the only way I eat cottage cheese. :happy:
  • LiftHeavyWeights
    LiftHeavyWeights Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I eat cottage cheese with a pinch of cinnamon on it.

Each person has different tastes. Find something else that has a high protein value you do like. Go with that.
  • Phoenix__Rising
    Phoenix__Rising Posts: 9,981 Member
    Options
    There's a gazillion other foods in the world. Just don't eat it?

but i've got 1 and 1/2 600g pots of the lumpy stuff in the fridge just sitting there, staring and laughing at me every time i open the door, it freaks me out and i have no idea what to do!!!

either option a) find a recipe to eat it that does want to make me throw up , option b) throw it at the cat and see if she likes it

Use it to make lasagna. That's the only way I eat cottage cheese. :happy:

That's how my mum makes Lasagne! Yum. :)
  • princessmommy122
    princessmommy122 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I like it with pineapple. I can't imagine it with seeds or nuts though.
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    I have to portion control it cause I want to eat the whole tub. Stir in some Cavendars Greek seasoning and serve with rye chips, or any hard cracker. insanely yummy. I also like to drop a dollop in boiling hot veggie soup cause the curds go all stringy.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    Why would anyone eat cottage cheese when you can have sirloin steaks and blue cheese?
  • 1pandabear
    1pandabear Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Cheese Cake
    Ingredients
    Original recipe makes 1 - 8 inch square pan

1/4 cup butter
    1 cup graham cracker crumbs
    2 tablespoons white sugar
    1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon

2 cups cottage cheese
    1/2 cup milk
    2 eggs
    3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
    2 tablespoons lemon juice
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    2/3 cup white sugar
    1/4 teaspoon salt

Directions

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Melt butter in an 8 inch square pan. Stir in graham cracker crumbs, 2 tablespoons sugar and 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon. Pat over bottom and onto sides of dish. Set aside.
    In a blender, combine cottage cheese, milk, eggs, flour, lemon juice, vanilla, 2/3 cup sugar and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Blend until smooth. Pour into prepared crust.
    Bake in the preheated oven for 60 minutes, or until filling is firm. Allow to cool completely.
  • yturie47
    yturie47 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Seriously, I love creamy cottage cheese with sweetener an cinnamon. Instant dessert!
  • 1pandabear
    1pandabear Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Spinach Lasagna with Walnut Pesto Recipe

READY IN 1½ hrs

"A simple lasagna recipe that pairs the rich taste of spinach with a delicious walnut pesto."

Ingredients
    Original recipe makes 8 servings

A little olive oil for the pan
    2 pounds fresh spinach, washed*
    2 pounds nonfat ricotta cheese or nonfat cottage cheese
    Walnut Pesto (recipe follows)
    4 large cloves garlic, minced
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    Freshly ground black pepper to taste
    1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
    1/3 cup minced walnuts, lightly toasted
    1 (24 ounce) jar low-sugar tomato sauce (or your favorite sauce)
    16 fresh, uncooked green (spinach) lasagna noodles or, if using dried, no-boil noodles
    1/2 pound low-fat mozzarella cheese, grated

Walnut Pesto:
    3 cups packed fresh basil leaves
    3 large cloves garlic
    1/3 cup lightly toasted walnuts
    1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
    1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
    Salt and pepper to taste
    Additional extra-virgin olive oil (for storage)
    Check All Add to Shopping List
    Directions

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly oil a 9 x 13-inch baking pan. If using fresh spinach, chop it fine. If using frozen, chopped spinach, make sure it is thoroughly defrosted and squeeze out all of the excess water.
    Place the ricotta or cottage cheese in a large bowl. Stir in the spinach, pesto, garlic, salt, pepper, half the Parmesan, and the walnuts. Mix well. Spread half the tomato sauce in the bottom of the pan. Place a layer of uncooked noodles over the sauce. Spoon about 1/3 of the ricotta or cottage filling in dabs over the noodles (you can spread it a little, but not too much) and sprinkle with 1/3 of the grated mozzarella. Follow with another layer of sauce, then noodles, followed by another 1/3 of the filling, and another 1/3 of the mozzarella. Repeat one more time, and then finish up with a final layer of noodles. You will have some Parmesan left over.
    If you are using fresh noodles, bake uncovered. If you are using dried noodles, cover the pan tightly with foil.
    Bake for 50 minutes, uncovering the pan (if applicable) during the last 15 minutes, during which time you can sprinkle on the reserved Parmesan. (In the case of the uncovered pan, if the top of the lasagna becomes as brown as you like it before the full baking time is up, cover loosely with foil and continue baking, so it wont get too dark.) Remove from the oven and let cool for about 10 minutes before serving.
    Walnut Pesto: Place the basil leaves and garlic in a food processor or blender, and mix well.
    Add the walnuts, and continue to blend until the walnuts are finely ground.
    Keep the machine running as you drizzle in the olive oil. When you have a smooth paste, transfer to a bowl, and stir in the Parmesan. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
    If you are not going to use the pesto right away, place in a container that has a tight-fitting lid. Smooth out the top surface of the pesto, and pour on enough olive oil to cover it completely. This creates an air-proof seal that helps preserve it well. Cover tightly and store in the refrigerator.

PREP 30 mins
    COOK 1 hr
    READY IN 1 hr
    30 mins

Footnotes

* For the 2 lbs. fresh spinach, you can substitute 2 (10-ounce) packages fresh baby spinach leaves, or 2 (10-ounce) packages frozen, chopped spinach, defrosted.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I don't know anyone who sticks cottage cheese in my face when I visit nor do I know many restaurants that do that.

No no no. Just to be clear on standard cheese etiquette or lack thereof, a host or hostess in a private home would never stick *cottage* cheese (designed for the peasantry) in the face of a guest.

But they will glide a tray of cheddar and swiss with crackers a bit too close to the nose while they serve the wine.

They will stick a plate of cheese balls artfully disguised with a covering of chopped nuts in the face of a guest while she's sitting on the couch smiling pleasantly and refraining from any mention of cheese queasiness that follows her everywhere she goes except at Chinese or Japanese restaurants.

They will emerge from the kitchen with the everpresent tray of woohoo lasagna and brag about the *delicious* aroma while the cheese haters nod in palid agreement and try not to pass out or at least gag.

Restaurant employees generally keep the cheese away from the facial orifices of customers thanks to professional training and a more solid understanding of the social compact.

But they WILL place a gigantic wheel of stilton along with a medieval looking dagger to cut it with at the entrance of a fine establishment. The odor of which permeates to the back table of the enormous dining room like the scent of rot and decay will do.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSjfaq9arnq2mt1aMgznMxnSK0M20rOzpkjmgomJI_S2GwlXOXP

Wow.. i think you have issues.. lol :drinker:

Everything you just mentioned sounds really good to me. :) Nothing like *rot and decay*..
  • smrgal144
    smrgal144 Posts: 9
    Options
    I couldn't agree more! YUCK! I bought it to put into a protein smoothie and gagged every time I took a sip! Asked my mom tonight if she wanted it !! :laugh: