How often do you weigh yourself?

Options
I've just started on this journey and I'm not sure how often I should weigh myself. Weekly seems excessive if I'm only going to lose 1.5 pounds, but then if I don't, will I lose track and be saddened if I check two weeks or a month later and I haven't lost? I don't want to become super-obsessive about it either.

Replies

• fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options
    I have a confession. I weigh myself way more than I should. At least every day, sometimes twice (ok, even three times) a day!

I know it's wrong, but it feels so right! :blushing:
  • christallas
    Options
    I weigh every morning. I have about 3kg to lose. I just wanna stay on track:smile:
  • Bagheera8181
    Options
    i weigh myself once a week, same day, same time, no matter how small the change is it makes me happy, and its often enough that if i gain or stay the same i can figure out why and fix it for next week
  • zandma
    zandma Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Good idea
  • sparklefrogz
    sparklefrogz Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I started out obese and did not even get a bathroom scale of my own until was just within my normal BMI range. I just went by quarterly progress pics and how my clothes fit, while I focused on changing my diet.

After that, I have been weighing daily first thing in the morning and using a 10 day rolling average to track weight loss. Water retention (especially for women) can mask longer term trends in weight change with lots of random fluctuations both up and down.
  • lovespirit1111
    Options
    I weigh every morning. It's important to me... to see the results of what I did the previous day.
  • karenfallen
    Options
    Once a week same time xx
  • kikityme
    kikityme Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Every one has their own opinion on this. You have to go with what makes you comfortable. I do it every morning, but I only record once a week.

My reasoning is that actually SEEING how it can fluctuate makes me not risk breaking something valuable if I go to record it and I'm up that week despite what I've done all week.

But others feel every day discourages them, that if it's up that day, they say screw it and binge. So, up to you.
  • agrafina
    agrafina Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    You have to go with what makes you comfortable.

This. I weigh twice a day, once in the morning, since I like data, and once at night because I'm so fascinated at how weight changes from night to morning with just sleep. If you are comfortable with seeing your weight go up, and won't freak out, then weigh daily if you like. If you can't handle it, then don't. And I don't mean the sort of rational part of your brain that says I can handle it. I mean the lizard part of your brain that is going to freak out no matter how much you try and tell yourself it is water. If you can't strip meaning from the numbers, and view them as objective data points, don't weigh daily. It isn't in your mental health's best interest.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Mostly daily but if I miss a day or three it's no big deal. I like to see the trends. I only record it here on MFP once a week - up, down or the same.
  • juliafromrf
    juliafromrf Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Daily, and I don't think there's anything wrong with it. As long as you personally don't feel like you are obsessing over it and are aware that there will be fluctuations you can't always explain, weigh yourself as often as you want.
  • mncdk
    mncdk Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I weigh every morning. It's important to me... to see the results of what I did the previous day.
    Sadly it doesn't really reflect what you did yesterday, it's more of an average of what you've done recently.
    If you ate 5000 kcal today, and only had 1000 kcal tomorrow, 2 days from now your weight would still go up...

Edit: And I weigh daily. I have a spreadsheet that shows a moving average that I use to see how bad my fluctuations are. If the fluctuations doesn't really move my average too much, then I know I'm on track.
  • BunBun85
    BunBun85 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I weigh each day in the morning and put it into the Libra app to see my trend.
  • peonycarol
    peonycarol Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I`m like agrafina, I weigh myself every morning and also at night just before hitting the sack. I find ithe fluctuations interesting. Sometimes I even weigh myself in the middle of the day or before and after a workout. I don`t freak out out if it`s up or down...I am in this for the long haul. I didn`t gain this weight overnight and I aint ganna lose it over night either! Do what is comfortable for you! Good luck!
  • kmorgan221
    kmorgan221 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Daily, but I only record weekly. I like seeing the fluctuations during the week, and I can usually tell if I'm on track to record a loss on my "recording" day or not. This lets me make adjustments as needed, or if there's room for an indulgence now and then.
  • LuckyOneD
    LuckyOneD Posts: 2
    Options
    I weigh myself once a week, on Sunday mornings, only because I don't want to feel like I'm obsessing about it by doing it every day. HOWEVER, having missed yesterday morning and weighing myself this morning and finding I'm UP 3 pounds (damn ice cream!!!), I think I'm going to start doing it every morning, just to get me back on track. And I kind of knew I would be up - just didn't think it was THREE pounds up!!! I have been needing some inspiration and that just might do the trick!! Smacking myself in the head right now!
  • LucasEVille
    LucasEVille Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Ok, I jump on my wifi fat % recording fitbit Aria scales upto twice a day which is autmatically syncing to my TactioHealth app on my android, this is so I can see subtle differences in days depending on what nutrients and work out i've had etc. Every week on a thurday evening I go to a slimming class which is the weight I use on my MFP once a week to show my weight loss.

I then plan out some specific days where I will eat more fibre than usual with scanbran, psyllium husks etc.

Then on a running day I will put fine scottish oats in my protein shake to build up some complex carb in with my burn.

So yes I'm pretty anal with micromanaging every day lol
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Way more often than I should, plus only recording the latest low. No science to this, simply motivation based
  • PinkyPan1
    PinkyPan1 Posts: 3,018 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every Friday morning at the same time. I do not like weighing myself daily due to the fluctuations...it was driving me mad. I have been consistent with my weight loss and look forward to Friday mornings and seeing the results of my hard work. It makes for a great weekend and pushes me to be consistent the next week too.