Broccoli cheese soup

Options
Danielle84Duncan
Danielle84Duncan Posts: 48 Member
Is there any possible way to make a healthy version of broccoli cheese soup? I have been craving.... :glasses:

Replies

• lfondots
    lfondots Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Oh MY. I hope someone chimes up because I LOVE this type of soup!!
  • amatronsangel
    Options
    Me too. I definately have been craving.
  • TammyK777
    TammyK777 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I'm sure there's someone out there w/an answer to share, please? :smile:
  • elainecroft
    elainecroft Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I can't remember if this is exactly the recipe, but I've had good results making something similar to this:

http://www.food.com/recipe/low-fat-broccoli-cheese-soup-cooking-light-344508

You can add mashed potato flakes to a 'light' soup if you like a more 'creamy' soup without adding fat. Plus I always add more broccoli, and sometimes other veggies as well.
  • Lyndzo
    Lyndzo Posts: 142
    Options
    I found this one :) I'm hoping to try it soon.

http://hungry-girl.com/chew/chewdetails.php?isid=1558
  • skdk833
    skdk833 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Broccoli Cheese Soup
    Low Fat Recipe
    Ingredients:
    1 quart (4 cups) water
    6 cups broccoli florets
    1 cup chopped onion
    1 clove minced garlic
    1 cup plain nonfat yogurt
    1/3 cup all-purpose flour
    2 (10.5 ounce) cans reduced sodium chicken broth
    3/4 cup water
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
    1/8 teaspoon pepper
    1 cup sharp cheddar cheese

Directions:
    Bring 1 quart water to boil in large soup pot. Add broccoli and cook for 7 minutes or until tender. Drain and set aside. Spray a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray and heat over medium heat until hot. Add onion and garlic and saute until tender. Add broccoli and onion mixture in a blender or food processor and pulse blend into small pieces.
    Combine yogurt and flour in a large saucepan and mix well with a wire whisk. Add broth and next 4 ingredients and stir well. Cook over medium heat for 20 minutes or until thickened. Add broccoli mixture and 3/4 cup cheese and heat until cheese is melted. Top with remaining cheese and serve.
    Recipe akes 10 Servings Broccoli Cheese Soup; Serving Size: 12 ounces

Nutrition information per serving:
    Calories: 105
    Total fat: 4g
    Saturated fat: 2g
    Cholesterol: 12mg
    Sodium: 280mg
    Carbohydrate: 9g
    Protein: 9g
    Dietary fiber: 2g
  • sunlover67
    sunlover67 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Hungry Girl does a "Broc Star" soup...its just Green Giant broccoli/cheese sauce with laughing cow added and then microwaved. Then you take that mixture and put it in the blender with milk. I use almond milk. It is absolutely deeelish! Pretty low cal, but the cheese is processed, which normally I avoid but in moderation its fine. And its a little high in sodium. But so easy to make!! 3 ingredients and you're done. Go to hungry-girl.com and check it out. Yum!:bigsmile:
  • lfondots
    lfondots Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    MMMM. I'm definately going to try this!!! Thanks.
  • Danielle84Duncan
    Danielle84Duncan Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    WOW.... thanks for all the comments..... you all have made me a happy lady!!!!
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    feel free to adjust this one to suit your needs. an easy calorie swap would be to omit the hashbrowns.

http://everythingisbetterwithcheese.blogspot.com/2010/04/easy-cheesy-broccoli-soup.html
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried this one yet, but it looks good!

http://www.eatbetteramerica.com/recipes/featured-brands/healthified-cheesy-potato-chowder.aspx

Healthified Cheesy Potato Chowder

71% less fat • 69% less sat fat • 50% more fiber than the original recipe—see the comparison. Chock-full of healthified ingredients, this is one soup you’ll want to chow down. The fat is drastically reduced while fiber is increased by going green with broccoli. From eatbetteramerica.
    Prep Time:30 min
    Start to Finish:1 hr
    makes:8 servings (1 1/4 cups each)

6 medium red potatoes (2 lb), unpeeled, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
    1 carton (32 oz) Progresso® reduced-sodium chicken broth (4 cups)
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon pepper
    1 bag (12 oz) Green Giant® Valley Fresh Steamers™ frozen broccoli cuts
    1/3 cup Gold Medal® all-purpose flour
    1 cup fat-free (skim) milk
    8 oz brick 2% milk reduced-fat sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded (2 cups)*
    1/2 cup fat-free sour cream
    4 medium green onions, chopped (1/4 cup)

1. In 5-quart Dutch oven, place potatoes; add just enough water to cover. Heat to boiling. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 10 to 15 minutes or until potatoes are very tender. Drain. Reserve 1 cup potatoes; return remaining potatoes to saucepan. In small bowl, mash reserved potatoes with fork; return to saucepan.
    2. Stir in broth, salt and pepper. Heat to boiling. Add broccoli. Return to boiling; cook uncovered 4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to medium.
    3. In small bowl with wire whisk, stir flour into milk until well mixed. Add milk mixture to potato mixture, stirring constantly. Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until mixture thickens and boils. Stir in cheese until melted and smooth. Stir in sour cream and green onions; cook until thoroughly heated.
    4. To serve, ladle soup into bowls.

Nutritional Information

1 Serving: Calories 240 (Calories from Fat 60); Total Fat 6g (Saturated Fat 4g, Trans Fat 0g); Cholesterol 20mg; Sodium 710mg; Total Carbohydrate 32g (Dietary Fiber 4g, Sugars 5g); Protein 13g Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 15%; Vitamin C 25%; Calcium 30%; Iron 15% Exchanges: 2 Starch; 0 Other Carbohydrate; 0 Vegetable; 1 Medium-Fat Meat Carbohydrate Choices: 2
    *Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
  • missyhse
    missyhse Posts: 189
    Options
    here's mine

2 cups chopped broccoli (I use a little more sometimes...)
    1 cup diced onion
    2 cloves crushed garlic (or garlic powder)
    2 cups low fat/low sodium chicken (or vegetable) broth
    1 cup water
    2 1/2 cups low fat milk
    1/3 cup flour (I use whole wheat or rice flour)
    1/4 tsp pepper
    1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese (can use reduced fat)

Lightly saute onion and garlic in a pan coated in cooking spray or olive oil. Add the broth, water, and broccoli and bring to a boil. In a bowl combine milk and flour with a whisk until smooth. Gradually add to the pot, and heat through, stirring often. Add cheese and stir until melted. Puree in a food processor or blender if you want it more "restaurant" style.
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    This one looked good too.

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2008/04/cream-of-broccoli-soup-25-ww-pts.html

Cream of Broccoli Soup
    Absolutely delicious low point weight watcher soup! Quick and easy to make. When I make this, everyone asks for more. My daughter needs to gain weight, so I put extra cheddar cheese in hers.

Gina's Weight Watcher Recipes

Servings: 4 servings • Time: 20 minutes • Points: 2.5 ww point

3 cans fat free chicken broth
    1/2 cup milk (2 percent)
    2 tbsp low fat sour cream
    1/2 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
    1 onion chopped
    1 carrot, peeled and chopped
    1 celery chopped
    1 clove garlic chopped
    5 cups broccoli florets (head of 2 large bunches)
    ground black pepper to taste

In a medium sized stock pot, bring chicken broth, onions, carrots, garlic, and celery to a boil. Cover and simmer 5 minutes. Add broccoli, milk and pepper and cook, covered, 10 more minutes. Add sour cream and puree soup. Adjust pepper to taste and heat through over medium heat. Add cheddar cheese and serve
  • Fit4Vet
    Fit4Vet Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Yumm...thanks for the recipes!
  • RoadsterMomma
    RoadsterMomma Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    bump- thanks!
  • JDMPWR
    JDMPWR Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    hmmmm
  • healthydoseofglitter
    Options
    Weight Watchers has a awesome one. I don't have a log in to their site anymore. Does somebody have it?

EDIT- Never mind LOL I saw that someone posted it already. Thanks!
  • cread12
    cread12 Posts: 41
    Options
    bump
  • abbiez
    abbiez Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Yummy!! Thanks guys
  • pitapocket
    pitapocket Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    bump