OIL PULLING

Options

Replies

• _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    Haha! People are really getting a kick out of this I suppose. Coconut oil basically deep cleans, whitens and strengthens your teeth. And yes you can completely substitute it for toothpaste. Which is actually better for you. Did you know the same amount of fluoride is in 8 oz of water as is the same amount of fluoride in toothpaste that if swallowed you're supposed to call poison control?

What? Are you saying that if I drink 8 oz of water I should call poison control? Surely I just need more coffee. So much herp de derp derp in this thread.

I think the tinfoil hat will interfere with phone reception

You beat me to it...I just drank water. I guess I'm going to die now. It's been fun.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    Had to weigh in on this: I worked in dentistry about 6 years - so that is my "expertise". First off - Fluoride. There are different kinds of fluoride Sodium Fluoride, found in toothpaste, mouthwash, etc will make you sick if you swallow too much. Calcium Fluoride, found in treated water will not make you sick if ingested. So your "factoid" about the amount of fluoride in water and poison control is missing key information. Second - the effectiveness of oil pulling. Putting anything viscous in your mouth will collect small amounts of debris and material that causes acid erosion and cavities, but not as efficiently as toothpaste and floss. Claims about strengthening teeth are false, the extra work might actually do some damage to the periodontal ligament that holds your teeth in, claims about pulling out "toxins" are false, claims that it is "better" than toothpaste are false. As far as the fellow who went to the dentist and is now convinced - what is your dental history? Did you have lots of problems before and now you don't have those problems? My assumption is probably not. People have different levels of a handful of bacteria types in their mouths naturally - some folks are prone to cavities and some folks are prone to tartar build up. The second group of folks can be a bit more lackadaisical about oral hygiene with fewer consequences. So at the end of the day, why not just brush and floss? It is cheaper, works faster, and has the added benefit of topical fluoride (yes, will make you sick if you swallow it, but you aren't an infant, I think you can handle it), that shrinks the pores of your teeth and makes them more impervious to bacterial infection and acid erosion (ie cavities). And for the people that are all "HA! it IS Toxic!!!" we use lots of things that would be toxic if ingested (sunscreen, soap, alcohol, which makes you feel funny because it is poison, etc), so it's not like this is the only product on the market that you should avoid swallowing.

*Note - I worked in dentistry, but I am not a dentist. Do not construe my comment as advice, merely informed opinion.

Logic and science have no place here!
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Had to weigh in on this: I worked in dentistry about 6 years - so that is my "expertise". First off - Fluoride. There are different kinds of fluoride Sodium Fluoride, found in toothpaste, mouthwash, etc will make you sick if you swallow too much. Calcium Fluoride, found in treated water will not make you sick if ingested. So your "factoid" about the amount of fluoride in water and poison control is missing key information. Second - the effectiveness of oil pulling. Putting anything viscous in your mouth will collect small amounts of debris and material that causes acid erosion and cavities, but not as efficiently as toothpaste and floss. Claims about strengthening teeth are false, the extra work might actually do some damage to the periodontal ligament that holds your teeth in, claims about pulling out "toxins" are false, claims that it is "better" than toothpaste are false. As far as the fellow who went to the dentist and is now convinced - what is your dental history? Did you have lots of problems before and now you don't have those problems? My assumption is probably not. People have different levels of a handful of bacteria types in their mouths naturally - some folks are prone to cavities and some folks are prone to tartar build up. The second group of folks can be a bit more lackadaisical about oral hygiene with fewer consequences. So at the end of the day, why not just brush and floss? It is cheaper, works faster, and has the added benefit of topical fluoride (yes, will make you sick if you swallow it, but you aren't an infant, I think you can handle it), that shrinks the pores of your teeth and makes them more impervious to bacterial infection and acid erosion (ie cavities). And for the people that are all "HA! it IS Toxic!!!" we use lots of things that would be toxic if ingested (sunscreen, soap, alcohol, which makes you feel funny because it is poison, etc), so it's not like this is the only product on the market that you should avoid swallowing.

*Note - I worked in dentistry, but I am not a dentist. Do not construe my comment as advice, merely informed opinion.

Logic and science have no place here!

:laugh:
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

^ obviously a shill for toothpaste company

(notsrs, good post)
  • LifeWithPie
    LifeWithPie Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Woo.
  • realmilk4me
    realmilk4me Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I don't use regular toothpaste. I use Earthpaste made of clay and essential oils. I've tried oil pulling, but never could make it to 20 minutes of swishing. I know a few people who have healed the beginnings of cavities by changing their diet. I was a student at the dental school, but they do not open their minds to alternative methods. There is no money to be gained by promoting alternative medicines which don't involve buying big name products.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I don't use regular toothpaste. I use Earthpaste made of clay and essential oils. I've tried oil pulling, but never could make it to 20 minutes of swishing. I know a few people who have healed the beginnings of cavities by changing their diet. I was a student at the dental school, but they do not open their minds to alternative methods. There is no money to be gained by promoting alternative medicines which don't involve buying big name products.

Or so the sales pitch goes...

Then anyone with a brain looks, realizes they want $23.99 for 20 oz. of coconut oil as opposed to $4-5 for regular mouthwash...

Tell me again how close minded science is to "alternative methods." Have you ever thought that maybe, just maybe, they dismiss them because they're ineffective scams designed to separate the gullible from their cash?

^^ that.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    I'll take this thread as a reminder that I need to get work done today.
  • smittybuilt19
    smittybuilt19 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Oil pulling...sounds like what collects in my undies throughout the day...or is that leakage.
  • realmilk4me
    realmilk4me Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I never pay that much for my organic cold pressed coconut oil :) And I'll surley pass on dye colored alcohol for $4.
  • smittybuilt19
    smittybuilt19 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    If herp and herp derp are sitting on a log and herp falls off...who is left?
  • Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    TIL what oil pulling is....

3755901-5811006413-goku_.gif
  • capnrus789
    capnrus789 Posts: 2,731 Member
    Options
    This is the strangest euphemism for *kitten* I've ever heard.
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    I-dont-always-herp-but-when-i-herp-i-derp.jpg

:smile:
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    If this is how you get your jollies, great. But personally just thinking about this makes me ill.

Methinks this is probably a fad and will burn out as quick as that ineffective crystal deodorant was. Of course it took people walking around smelly and pit stained for a few weeks to find out that was a joke too.

But to each their own. :)
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Wow, this thread has a little bit of everything! Imaginary toxins - check. Imaginary mouth treatments - check. Imaginary excellent dental visits after no brushing for a year - check. Comparing toothpaste to cars - check?!

Oh yeah - can't forget the TMI regarding undies!
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    Sandra-Bullock-WTF-Critics-Choice.gif
  • HerbertNenenger
    HerbertNenenger Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Shes a spitter! Boring! Ooops did I say that?

yes, and you even typed it out too.
    boring? really?
  • kelleybean1
    kelleybean1 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Wow, this thread has a little bit of everything! Imaginary toxins - check. Imaginary mouth treatments - check. Imaginary excellent dental visits after no brushing for a year - check. Comparing toothpaste to cars - check?!

Oh yeah - can't forget the TMI regarding undies!

Hey, you forgot the spit vs swallow-check!