OIL PULLING

Options

Replies

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Any coconut oil you swallow is good for you and calories should not be an issue. I have been pulling nearly a year and I purposely swallow a bit while it is still fresh because it is so healthy. Not all calories are alike; some are so good for you that you don't want to miss them.

Regardless of how healthy the oil may be, it's still pure fat and the calories you swallow do count.

Sorry, but that's just the way it goes.
  • sassyjae21
    sassyjae21 Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    Ew...
  • Go_Mizzou99
    Go_Mizzou99 Posts: 2,628 Member
    Options
    It would appear to lack support of it's effectiveness unless you're comparing it to a lack of dental care entirely.

http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/oil-pulling-your-leg/

+1

Whenever I see the word detox...I get suspicious.
  • Sarah_SweetPea
    Options
    There are strong benefits of oil pulling. I haven't tried it yet, but I just got my cocoanut oil. The main reason I would do it, is to pull out toxins. Even though oil pulling is great for dental care, it would never be a replacement for me personally. To answer the O.P. question, I would not count the calories. You don't swallow the oil, you rinse and brush your teeth, so you don't consume the calories.
    * just a note: you do not want to swallow the oil if you're oil pulling since you'd just be swallowing the toxins back in your body.
  • rml_16
    Options
    This has got to be one of the dumber things I've heard people do for "health".

Leeches anyone? Pm me for prices.
    Leeches and even maggots are actually effective medical tools still used today (and I mean in modern, Western, scientifically-backed medicine). Ask any medical professional about it.
  • rml_16
    Options
    Haha! People are really getting a kick out of this I suppose. Coconut oil basically deep cleans, whitens and strengthens your teeth. And yes you can completely substitute it for toothpaste. Which is actually better for you. Did you know the same amount of fluoride is in 8 oz of water as is the same amount of fluoride in toothpaste that if swallowed you're supposed to call poison control?
    I just want to point out that the guy advocating this in this thread is, um, missing one of his front teeth. And the rest don't look all that healthy or white, either.
  • k_nicole87
    k_nicole87 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I have heard (and seen) TERRIBLE things about oil pulling.
  • rml_16
    Options
    Haha! People are really getting a kick out of this I suppose. Coconut oil basically deep cleans, whitens and strengthens your teeth. And yes you can completely substitute it for toothpaste. Which is actually better for you. Did you know the same amount of fluoride is in 8 oz of water as is the same amount of fluoride in toothpaste that if swallowed you're supposed to call poison control?

What? Are you saying that if I drink 8 oz of water I should call poison control? Surely I just need more coffee. So much herp de derp derp in this thread.
    LMAO

You don't have to call poison control for swallowing the amount of toothpaste a normal person uses to brush teeth. You call if you, say, swallow the whole tube.
  • k_nicole87
    k_nicole87 Posts: 407 Member
    Options

What? Are you saying that if I drink 8 oz of water I should call poison control? Surely I just need more coffee. So much herp de derp derp in this thread.
    LMAO

You don't have to call poison control for swallowing the amount of toothpaste a normal person uses to brush teeth. You call if you, say, swallow the whole tube.

Thas fer cleanin yer insides
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    There are strong benefits of oil pulling. I haven't tried it yet, but I just got my cocoanut oil. The main reason I would do it, is to pull out toxins. Even though oil pulling is great for dental care, it would never be a replacement for me personally. To answer the O.P. question, I would not count the calories. You don't swallow the oil, you rinse and brush your teeth, so you don't consume the calories.
    * just a note: you do not want to swallow the oil if you're oil pulling since you'd just be swallowing the toxins back in your body.

Can you please name these toxins, describe the impact they have on your body and then explain to the group what medical condition you have that prevents your body's natural filter system (liver, kidneys) from working correctly? Thanks.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Had to weigh in on this: I worked in dentistry about 6 years - so that is my "expertise". First off - Fluoride. There are different kinds of fluoride Sodium Fluoride, found in toothpaste, mouthwash, etc will make you sick if you swallow too much. Calcium Fluoride, found in treated water will not make you sick if ingested. So your "factoid" about the amount of fluoride in water and poison control is missing key information. Second - the effectiveness of oil pulling. Putting anything viscous in your mouth will collect small amounts of debris and material that causes acid erosion and cavities, but not as efficiently as toothpaste and floss. Claims about strengthening teeth are false, the extra work might actually do some damage to the periodontal ligament that holds your teeth in, claims about pulling out "toxins" are false, claims that it is "better" than toothpaste are false. As far as the fellow who went to the dentist and is now convinced - what is your dental history? Did you have lots of problems before and now you don't have those problems? My assumption is probably not. People have different levels of a handful of bacteria types in their mouths naturally - some folks are prone to cavities and some folks are prone to tartar build up. The second group of folks can be a bit more lackadaisical about oral hygiene with fewer consequences. So at the end of the day, why not just brush and floss? It is cheaper, works faster, and has the added benefit of topical fluoride (yes, will make you sick if you swallow it, but you aren't an infant, I think you can handle it), that shrinks the pores of your teeth and makes them more impervious to bacterial infection and acid erosion (ie cavities). And for the people that are all "HA! it IS Toxic!!!" we use lots of things that would be toxic if ingested (sunscreen, soap, alcohol, which makes you feel funny because it is poison, etc), so it's not like this is the only product on the market that you should avoid swallowing.

*Note - I worked in dentistry, but I am not a dentist. Do not construe my comment as advice, merely informed opinion.

Just out of curiosity, do any dentistry schools require/offer Weston A. Price's Nutrition and Physical Degeneration (or, have you read it yet)? If not, I think it might be a worthwhile read. Price was a dentist in Cleveland, Ohio for several years, and felt that something was wrong with the rate at which he was seeing cavities in his patients. So, he spent the next several years travelling and studying indigenous populations to see how their teeth were. What he found was that the indigenous populations not only didn't have tooth and gum decay or deformation issues (ie - their wisdom teeth actually fit in their mouths), but that the rate of incidence of decay went up as their diets were Westernized.

I can't speak for the specific claims of oil pulling, but I did want to point out that coconut oil is a pretty powerful anti-microbial. Additionally, the lauric acid content is well known for it's "cleansing" properties (ie - it's what makes coconut oil based soaps so effective at cleaning, stripping away oils, and why making a pure coconut oil soap requires a very high superfat content to keep the soap from drying out the skin too severely). There's also some indication that using sesame oil can moisturize the gums and help with dry mouth (and the dental issues associated with it). Therefore, it's not much of a stretch to conclude that oil pulling with coconut oil or sesame oil might indeed have at least some beneficial effect (kills various bacteria and fungi that contribute to dental issues, in particular). Is it as good as conventional brushing? That I don't know, as I don't think there's been enough research done on it to prove one way or another.

http://gutenberg.net.au/ebooks02/0200251h.html
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17651080
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24328700
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3296356/
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options

Could you point to any studies (not anecdotal) that support your assertion that that this practice will "pull out toxins" and could you specify which "toxins" they're pulling out?
  • KseRz
    KseRz Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    Theres this new product out....

2lm3o0l.jpg

Im thinking of trying this as an oral cleanse. Anyone ever hear of it or try it?
  • KayJaMikel
    KayJaMikel Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    OMG, I still get the stomach churning, chills, and gag reflex when I come back to this thread, now 2 days later.

I think I will try the leeches instead to pull out my toxins.

For the record, TMI on swallowing. That makes me gag too, especially oil. I envision going into my kitchen, getting the oil out (granted it is not coconut oil), and taking and swishing it around for a bit (not 20 minutes though because then would have bits of food and bacteria in it) and then swallowing it. Yeah, no, not for me.
  • KayJaMikel
    Options
    I do medical transcription for a few oral surgeons, and they never once recommend to oil pull.

ETA, wonder why they call it pulling? To me it should be oil swishing (sometimes swallowing) and then oil spitting.

Oh, ETA again, pulling for the effect of supposedly pulling out toxins. I get it.
  • KseRz
    KseRz Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    OMG, I still get the stomach churning, chills, and gag reflex when I come back to this thread, now 2 days later.

I think I will try the leeches instead to pull out my toxins.

For the record, TMI on swallowing. That makes me gag too, especially oil. I envision going into my kitchen, getting the oil out (granted it is not coconut oil), and taking and swishing it around for a bit (not 20 minutes though because then would have bits of food and bacteria in it) and then swallowing it. Yeah, no, not for me.

I like doing that with carapichea ipecacuanha root extract. It works wonders.
  • Sarah_SweetPea
    Options
    For me personally, it's the die off from Lyme Disease treatment.
  • KayJaMikel
    Options
    For the record, the original question of calories, for me, I don't think I would count them, as I would surely vomit any calories I had ingested before I pulled, so I would have to go delete anything I logged for the day anyway.
  • rsoice
    rsoice Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    My bad, I thought this had turned into a spit vs. swallow thread :blushing: