Curvy Dating

Options

Replies

• sugarlemonpie
    sugarlemonpie Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I'm really close to your stats, and I have been in a relationship for the past 6 years with someone who loves me for me, no matter if my weight fluctuates. There is the right person out there for you, don't sweat it. To be honest, the right one always seems to come along right when you least expect it. (However cliched that sounds, it's true.) Love yourself, and then people will see that you are someone worth loving!

Hope you feel better, it's not easy but you'll look back one day and you'll have moved on. :flowerforyou:
  • lorigrocks
    lorigrocks Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    The most important thing is how you are projecting yourself....if you feel less confident it may be impacting how you approach others and how you are perceived by others......so it could be a matter of that versus weight........
    This...you have to like yourself in order to be liked.
  • _cdaley
    _cdaley Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Dating aside, I'd be careful with your medication- you say that you are under doctor supervision, which is good, but cutting an antidepressant dosage in HALF as a means of weaning yourself off is really extreme. Depending on what your dosage was originally, cutting it in half could cause some major withdrawal symptoms. Typically you want to decrease by a few milligrams at a time- depending on the medication, you can even have it prescribed in liquid form so that you can use a syringe to portion out the correct amount. Again, you say you are working with a doctor to do this, but I just wanted to put it out there. I would also recommend supplementing your therapy with some additional sessions if possible so you can adjust to coping with triggering situations without the aid of a medication.

Finding love is important, but don't forget about the most important person- you. You might find that when you are in a positive place, people will be more attracted to that energy. :)
  • threefancy50
    Options
    By the way, my profile picture isn't me now. Just wanted to clarify.

What picture are you using on the dating sites?
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options

That was understood to me by your post. That was clear to me at least. Try not to get caught up in what people here think of you, your pics, your methods, or your tone or style.

This site has soooooooooooo many people on it that naturally any little thing one person does can one day bother someone else.

If someone else has an opinion about your avatar, just know from right now that at least one person (me) reads that as you feeling like your most powerful "fitspiration" pic is a picture of your own self at a weight at which you are comfortable. I think that's such a valid and realistic goal.
  • PJPrimrose
    PJPrimrose Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    Hello, I am posting this because I really need support and kind words. I can't ask anyone I know because they will tell me what I want to hear instead of the truth.

I am 5'5 and 189 lbs. Up until a few years ago, I have NEVER had trouble with my weight. All through high school, the most I ever weighed was in the 140's range. I have gained so much weight the past couple years. My family said it happened really fast. I suspect that this started when I was put on a new antidepressant. I've been on it for two years, but my new doctor is telling me it could be what triggered the weight gain. This was after years of my old doctor telling me that it doesn't cause weight gain.

A week ago, my doctor and I decided to try weaning me off the medicine. I have cut my dose in half. I'm starting to feel more depressed but nothing I can't handle. Now that you have a little background, I'll cut to the chase:

I had a terrible break up before I was put on this medication. I was skinny when I was with him. I always had a boyfriend in high school, they were easy for me to find. But since I gained all this weight, I have been on more dates than I can count, and most of them didn't lead to second dates. I have not been in a relationship since I gained all of the weight. I have been on dating sites and some guys seem interested, but then they meet me in person and I usually don't see them again. Its like they see me and are disappointed. Lately its gotten to the point where the guys don't even end up showing up to the dates for whatever reason. I waited a few days ago for an hour almost and the guy then told me something came up. He never showed.

My point is this: I feel as if since I gained all of this weight (going from around 145 to 189), guys do not see me as attractive because of my body. It really makes me sad. When I was skinny I would eat till I was almost sick, and never gain a pound. I eat less now and I can't seem to lose even half a pound.

I feel like guys find me unattractive because of my weight. It sucks. I just want it to go away. I've been single so long that the loneliness hurts, a lot. Do any other ladies here feel the same? Do any of the men here have anything to say?

Having a guy go out with you because he thinks you're hot isn't always a good thing. It might even be a bennie to wean out the shallow ones while you're heavy then surprise the nice one that loves you for who you are with a great body! The right guy will like you for who you are not what you look like and that's the damn truth! Also, as fit as you may stay, you will age. If a guy hooks up with you for looks he'll dump you when you get older anyway. Lose/lose.
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options
    Obviously, it does matter somewhat...people want to be with someone they are attracted to, and first impressions make a difference. Everyone is attracted to different things, but most people want someone who is seen to be healthy. So people that say "Oh, it doesn't matter one bit." I think are living in a world of denial, just because THEY personally met someone great perhaps, while overweight?

That being said, it's not the MOST important thing, nor should it be. And if that is what is preventing someone from dating you, then who needs them?
  • wozkaa
    wozkaa Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I have spent an awful lot of my 20's being quite overweight - I am 5'9" and was always over 200lb.
    I also had a heart-wrenching break up and spent a lot of time trying to work out what to do, and was on Zoloft for a period.
    When I was ready to put myself out there again - If I wanted male company, I rarely walked away empty handed. I was straight forward with the guy I was interested in and they usually appreciated that. It wasn't often that I met guys I could be bothered putting myself out there for either.
    Maybe my standards weren't very high, I don't know... but I had fun. And my much slimmer, pretty, busty flatmate was jealous as heck because apparently I wasn't the only one who thought they were cute.

Additionally - there are a whole lot people out there, and just as you might not like every one of them you come across, you might not be their cup of tea either.
  • davis978
    davis978 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you're going through a really tough time right now. I'm sorry. I can tell it hurts.

You've gotten a lot of great advice already. There are just a couple of things I would add:

It sounds like this change in your anti-depressant might have you more down than you realize. You say you can handle it, and you are the best person to make that determination, but remember that if your chemicals are out of balance right now, you might not be seeing things clearly. Things might seem a lot worse than they really are. You say you are being supervised by a doctor. PLEASE keep checking up with that doctor and tell that person about any change in your symptoms.

Also, it sounds like you don't have a lot of online dating experience. You are assuming that online dating is hard because of your curvier-than-you-would-like body, when in fact, you have not online dated as that thinner person you used to be. So, you may be attributing the toughness to your body and it might have nothing to do with that. It could just be that online dating is harder than you realize, regardless of how thin or not thin you are.

Finally, I will echo what others have said which is that lots of people at lots of weight manage to date. Yes, many men prefer slim women, but many men don't prefer slim women. There are men out there that want to date you at exactly the size you are right now. But, it's hard to find them when you are suffering, as you clearly are right now. I know it is hard to be lonely, but you should really consider just focusing on you right now. If you get yourself into a better place, you will be much more attractive to that right guy when he comes along.

Good luck!
  • feliscatus84
    feliscatus84 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Welp, I was 260lbs and I had still had men hitting on me. Even with my fiancè in the same room. My fiance is no slob either. Works out 6 days a week and is a good looking man. Been with him for 13 years. I met him when I was a nice 135lbs and he's been with me through my weight gain and everything. There's so many fish in the sea and sometimes we just have to wait for the perfect one to swim along!

Also, it's not about your size it's about your confidence. If you act like you are worthy and beautiful simply because you're YOU men will flock to that. Even though I'm a bigger gal I still dress nice, do my hair, put on makeup and walk into a room with confidence. You don't have to do those kinds of things but those things make me FEEL good and that shows in the way I handle myself.

I had a friend that was larger than me but all different kinds of people flocked to her because she is just that good with people. It wasn't about her size. She is kind, friendly, and great listener. Those are the things that matter in the end.

That said, if you are not happy with you it shows on the outside. So if you are not comfortable with yourself make that change. That's why I am losing weight now. Not for men, not for family, not to have friends, not even for envy or jealousy. I just want to feel good for me. I want to be able to feel fit and healthy. So if you want to make a change make it for the right reasons.
  • michab108
    michab108 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I've had similar problems with dating. Guys who say they are interested, then stand me up. The reality is, you have no control over them. They are going to do what they are going to do. All you can do is be you. If they aren't interested, that's their problem, and you are better off without them. I know that I'm a great person. I work hard, love my life, have hobbies and skills. I'm funny, kind, generous and intelligent. I may not be traditionally pretty, but I am who I am. You have to be you first and foremost. If you are always honest with yourself about who you are, you'll be surrounded with people who know, love and accept you for you. Eventually, the guy for you will show up. Be patient and keep building you. You are a masterpiece.
  • beautyforashes777
    Options

What picture are you using on the dating sites?

Very much more recent ones, for sure. I do not misrepresent myself online. Also, for those reading, please dont assume that because I am spilling my frustrations here that I am doing this when talking to guys online. I posted on here to get opinions from objective sources, haha, not to whine. I don't do this with people on these sites.
  • beautyforashes777
    Options
    Thank you all.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef
    41 years old
    Female
    Woodstock, NB
    "you either want it or you don't "

You seem to think you know everything ....and you don't perhaps you should start a talk show or mentor someone or share you comments with your husband instead of thinking you know everything

But she does know everything. And makes amazing cheesecake. She's the whole package.
  • milyba
    milyba Posts: 49
    Options
    :laugh:
  • Nt2Badhuh
    Nt2Badhuh Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    The most important thing is how you are projecting yourself....if you feel less confident it may be impacting how you approach others and how you are perceived by others......so it could be a matter of that versus weight........

This .....

I weighed 158 in high school and never dated...but I also carried myself like someone who didn't like themselves...

after high school I gained weight but I gained ALOT of confidence also.... all of a sudden I was surrounded...

Im not assuming that you verbally vomit your insecurities onto men but you would be surprised what people can pick up from undertones....body language...
  • beautyforashes777
    Options
    Believe me when I say, I was wayyyy less confident in high school than I have been recently.
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options
    Believe me when I say, I was wayyyy less confident in high school than I have been recently.

Your physical attractiveness may be be what initially attracts someone to you, but it's not what keeps them there.
  • Smirnoff65
    Smirnoff65 Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options

Your physical attractiveness may be be what initially attracts someone to you, but it's not what keeps them there.

This, it's all about the inner you
  • Beautiful_Pain
    Beautiful_Pain Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    When i was 115 i got less attention especially from my hubs
    At 140-150 i get Alot!

It all depends... Dont change for 1 man.