I hate vegetables...

Options
No really guys. Ever since I was little I've been able to eat whatever I want. Which is something I now wish my mother had not allowed. But anyways, besides corn, I literally hate all vegetables. To the point where most make me gag. Is there a way anybody has found around this? I've tried V8 juice but it was disgusting. Do you think I can get by on just counting calories and keeping portions small while eating eating things like fruits and not eating candy and drinking soda? I also exercise on top of that, I've been walking 4-5 miles, about 4 days a week.

Replies

• JuliRamone
    JuliRamone Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    From a weight loss perspective, all that counts is that you stay in your calories (whatever they come from).

But I'd really recommend to just try out new stuff with veggies. You don't have to start with a huge bowl of vegetable, but just try to add for example some carrot slices to your sauce. Or add some cucumber on your bread with cheese.
    Maybe you'll figure out that you like more veggies than you think :)
  • abm91
    abm91 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    ok I hate veggies as well, so what i do is i make fruit smoothies in the morning or whenever and just add some greens in there. You wont taste anything but the fruit and you get some veggies in your system.
  • JShawSarah
    JShawSarah Posts: 22
    Options
    From a weight loss perspective, all that counts is that you stay in your calories (whatever they come from).

But I'd really recommend to just try out new stuff with veggies. You don't have to start with a huge bowl of vegetable, but just try to add for example some carrot slices to your sauce. Or add some cucumber on your bread with cheese.
    Maybe you'll figure out that you like more veggies than you think :)

Yea I'm definitely still going to work on trying new vegetables.
  • JShawSarah
    Options
    ok I hate veggies as well, so what i do is i make fruit smoothies in the morning or whenever and just add some greens in there. You wont taste anything but the fruit and you get some veggies in your system.
    Oh my gosh! That's SUCH a good idea! Thank you
  • establishingaplace
    establishingaplace Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Is it taste, texture, or something else?
  • JShawSarah
    Options
    I think it's mostly taste. I know people day things like lettuce don't taste like anything but to me it does...
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    you've tried every single vegetable known to man, and hate them all? really?
  • JShawSarah
    Options
    you've tried every single vegetable known to man, and hate them all? really?
    Ahhh you caught me. No I haven't tried them all, but I can truly say I've tried many of them. And am open to trying those I haven't yet. But from previous experience I don't like them. Besides corn as I mentioned before
  • morethenjustmum
    morethenjustmum Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    When you make stew or chili or pasta sauces try adding grated carrots or zucchini to them.
    Jerry Seinfeld's wife (Jessica maybe) wrote a book about how to trick kids into eating veg by hiding it in food, you could try some stuff from that.
  • Neliel88
    Neliel88 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Experiment with low fat recipes. My friend made a beautiful vegan curry for me (again, the spices take away the taste of the veggies if that's what you hate).
    Yesterday I cut up half an aubergine (eggplant to you 'muricans), half a butternut squash, threw in 2 tins of low sodium plum tomatoes and a sprinkling of your favourite herbs and just baked it. Aubergine has quickly become one of my favourite veggies and I want to include it in everything!
    I also made myself a HUGE pot of chunky root veg soup.
  • plumsparkle
    plumsparkle Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    My daughter used to say she hated vegetables, and wouldn't eat boiled anything except peas. But i made roast veg one day, drizzled with olive oil and with garlic and herbs, and she loves them, The taste and the texture are completely different. Maybe give that a go? :smile:
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    I hate all veggies too. I just cant stomach them. So, i take my supplements, as its better than nothing. Still worked for me :)
  • Goofyrunnergirl
    Options
    I also don't care for vegetables...but I keep trying! I have found a few that I can tolerate! I throw mushrooms (still can't stand them!), carrots, and green peppers in the food processor. This makes it easy to hide the veges in spaghetti sauce or meatballs/meatloaf.

I also try different cooking methods for each vegetable. I have found that I do like a couple of them roasted- like cauliflower and parsnips. Oh, and I like Brussels Sprout chips, though I'm still not crazy about the inside part!

My suggestion is to buy a vegetable that you don't care for, every week. Then research different cooking methods or recipes. Maybe you eat cauliflower raw one day with ranch dressing. Then the next day you make some of it into "rice", then the next day you roast some or maybe make it into mashed cauliflower (which is really good with onion and chive cream cheese mixed in!). You may never grow to love vegetables, but maybe after some experimenting, you learn that you can tolerate some!
  • establishingaplace
    establishingaplace Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I think it's mostly taste. I know people day things like lettuce don't taste like anything but to me it does...

I don't know what your diet looks like right now, but if you eat a lot of sweetened processed foods, you may just not be used to the taste of vegetables. Since cutting down on sweet foods, I've found that I was able to taste vegetables more and found the natural sweetness of some.

There are also 1000 different ways to prepare veggies so you might find you like a veggie done one way but not another. For instance, I find steamed cauliflower boring and blah, but roasted cauliflower is delicious. I hated eggplant until I tried it without the skin. I love raw cucumber, but find it irresistible when salted.
  • aurora1036
    aurora1036 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I also really dislike like MANY veggies (though there are a handful I am okay with) and I gag at the smell of some and forget putting others in my mouth, I just can't do it so I take the smoothie route that someone else already mentioned. I put kale/broccoli/spinach/chard etc (I just throw a couple in each time, whatever we have on hand at that time) in with frozen berries (frozen because I like my smoothies really cold), chia seeds and coconut water and it is palatable if not good and I get a ton of healthy greens that I wouldn't normally eat. :) a good blender helps because I hate a lumpy smoothie so I have a decent blender that can handle kale and it really makes a difference.
  • JustAnotherGirlSuzanne
    JustAnotherGirlSuzanne Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    You can lose weight without eating vegetables still, but you won't be as healthy as you would be if you just ate them.

Here's some suggestions for you:

1) You can do what I try to do in all my cooking: hide them!

-Make carrot cake or zucchini bread (Personally I like zucchini bread, but I don't care for carrot)
    -Throw an onion, zucchini, and a green bell pepper into any sauce you make (spaghetti, lasagna, chili, etc.)
    -Smoothies can hide a multitude of veggies as well!
    -Try spaghetti squash in place of the noodles in spaghetti
    -A lot of people like mashed cauliflower or cauliflower pizza crust (not my thing, but it's a good idea)

2) Or you can try them different ways:

-Raw
    Ever tried raw beans or snap peas? Grow them yourself, they taste best fresh off the vine!

-On a BBQ
    Peppers of all colours, green and yellow zucchini, tomatoes, mushrooms, and onions - drizzle with olive oil and grill until they go slightly soft, but not so long that you lose that delicious crunch.

-With cheese
    Everything tastes better with cheese! I've just recently fallen in love with Green salad, and I think it's the feta. (I also don't like the taste of lettuce)

My daughter used to say she hated vegetables, and wouldn't eat boiled anything except peas. But i made roast veg one day, drizzled with olive oil and with garlic and herbs, and she loves them, The taste and the texture are completely different. Maybe give that a go? :smile:

^^^ Roasted veggies are delicious!!!

3) Look up online how to cook veggies properly.

I used to hate asparagus until my sister looked up how to properly cook them. Now I'll buy asparagus, cook them in a frying pan with a little water in it until they're just slightly cooked (but not soft), then I'll drizzle them with some lemon juice, and I love them!

There's nothing worse in my mind than overcooked veggies. If you take the time to make them right, then you'll probably find that you enjoy them far more than you ever did before!
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    No really guys. Ever since I was little I've been able to eat whatever I want. Which is something I now wish my mother had not allowed. But anyways, besides corn, I literally hate all vegetables. To the point where most make me gag. Is there a way anybody has found around this? I've tried V8 juice but it was disgusting. Do you think I can get by on just counting calories and keeping portions small while eating eating things like fruits and not eating candy and drinking soda? I also exercise on top of that, I've been walking 4-5 miles, about 4 days a week.

Corn is a grain...

And french fries are delicious and a veggie
  • Jen800
    Jen800 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    Hide them in smoothies, cook them in dishes, and pretty much treat yourself like a kid.

Some good recipes to sneak veggies in:
    lasagnas, macaroni dishes, crusts/breads, muffins, soups, etc.

You can seriously get them in anything as long as you disguise them right!
  • 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    You hate ALL vegetables???

There is NOT ONE vegetable you like at all??? Im sure when you start adding them to dishes/foods you do like you might enjoy them a bit more.

I would say make a veggie juice.... But then that will make you gag!!!

Our eat your 5 a day for you : )
  • forkofpower
    forkofpower Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Cook the vegetables until they're really well done (lessens their taste) and then incorporate them into dishes you'll like. Stews, for example, are good, since the vegetables don't really taste like anything except for stew. I can't eat most vegetables raw (including lettuce--no salads for me), but they're fine when cooked.