Should I Feel Ashamed? :(

Options
13»

Replies

• greentree0
    greentree0 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    So today was day 2 of my C25K program. Day one I couldn't finish all of the runs (only bout 2 or 3...?) but walked briskly throughout the entire 30 minutes when I wasn't running.
    Today I finished I think five of them but by that point I was so tired and so out of breath I turned directions home and had to sit on the stoop for a bit to cool down. I'm dedicated, but my body just felt like it couldn't continue.
    I plan on doing day three on Thursday and repeating week one because obviously I wouldn't stand a chance on week two yet...Just, how abnormal is it to feel so exhausted?

A little about me:

I've never been a runner.
    I weigh about 250 lbs
    I'm 21 and have only started walking/running regularly very recently.
    I've been walking 1-2 miles a day for the last week or so.

Today you ran approximately twice as much as last time! The emotion you should have is pride - look how much more running you did! I think repeating until you finish the week is a great plan.

Two things - do you have decent shoes and a decent bra for running?
    There's a fairly active C25K group - http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/47-couch-to-5k-running-program-c25k- where people post on how their c25k is going - whether it's week 1 or they've graduated.
  • spicegeek
    spicegeek Posts: 325 Member
    Options

You do not have a good enough walking base yet - build you walks up to 1 hour brisk walking 3 times a week - THEN try the c25K
  • ybee1991
    ybee1991 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Never feel ashamed for staring somewhere, good luck :)
  • lujako
    lujako Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Oh my how familiar that sounds! I started with run walk program which was organized by a local running store, basically an organized C25k. The first time the interval meant running up a hill, I really thought the coaches had lost there marbles. We kept going and something amazing happened, I finish an entire 5k "running", not "Bolt" style but MY style of running. I then proceeded to run 10 more 5ks in about 12 weeks :noway: Then 6 months after starting my running journey, I signed up for a half-marathon training program, 2 weeks ago, I completed my second half in two weeks! WOOT half fanatic time!

BTW when I started running I was about 250 pounds, now with the help of MFP I am down to 214.5! (Yes, .5! SV to be under 215 :bigsmile: ) Oh, my pace for a half was 13:30 and my pr for a 5k is 11:11 min/mile ... so burning it up I am not, but enjoying it I am!

Basically, my theory is "If this one can complete the C25K, run several 5ks, 1 7k, 1 10k and 2 halfs, YOU CAN as well!" Keep running, when you get to the point you run your first mile, you will feel like you have conquered Mt. Everest! Start climbing and don't look back!
  • Keepcalmanddontblink
    Keepcalmanddontblink Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    So today was day 2 of my C25K program. Day one I couldn't finish all of the runs (only bout 2 or 3...?) but walked briskly throughout the entire 30 minutes when I wasn't running.
    Today I finished I think five of them but by that point I was so tired and so out of breath I turned directions home and had to sit on the stoop for a bit to cool down. I'm dedicated, but my body just felt like it couldn't continue.
    I plan on doing day three on Thursday and repeating week one because obviously I wouldn't stand a chance on week two yet...Just, how abnormal is it to feel so exhausted?

A little about me:

I've never been a runner.
    I weigh about 250 lbs
    Way to go with the program! Its something I am trying to get into doing as well. You should be proud that you got started and kept going. Its not something you will be able to do right away, you will have to build up to it. Don't give up! :)
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    DUDE, the first time I tried C25K I puked. In front of the workmate I was doing it with, and (I found out later) another group of workmates who were eating lunch in the park we were running around :)

I've now started Zombies, Run! 5k which starts you off with 10 min walk then 15 second run/1 min walk x10, and I find it manageable and even did a few extra runs in the final 10 minute cool down.

But do NOT feel ashamed! Never ever be ashamed for getting off the couch and out the door.
  • hellomanen
    hellomanen Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    naaah you're fine! it doesn't get easier, you just get better ;) give some time to time and don't stress over results, they are slow and won't show until one day you look and - WOAH DID I JUST RAN THE ENTIRE THING ALTOGETHER? GEEZ! I'M AWESOME!
    Word.
  • JessicaWhosit
    Options
    If anyone wants an update :)

Today I did my unofficial Day 4 of week 1. Each day throughout the first 3 I got a little better and today I was able to do the entire 30 minutes through with no stops :D I'm so flipping proud of myself. I'm going to do two more days of the week one regimen just to acclimate my body to it and then I'll be on to week two. Thank you so much for being supportive of me :D
  • Nedra19455
    Nedra19455 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I wasn't overwhelmed by the first week, but I decided to repeat each workout twice anyway. I am in no hurry to run a 5k (the one I want to do isn't until September) and I want to be good to myself and enjoy it.

For what it's worth, when you get to week 2, it's harder in some ways (longer jog times) but easier in other ways (longer walk times), so it's actually not as bad as I had feared.
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    So??? why should you feel ashamed?
  • mblair1968
    mblair1968 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    If feeling ashamed, helps motivate you, then by all means feel that way. Otherwise, who cares? Try to follow whatever guidelines you decide to try. If you don't reach them, at least do more than you did the day before.
  • paulawatkins1974
    paulawatkins1974 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Ashamed? NO WAY!! Good for you for trying! I think that's awesome! It'll get easier the more you try. So what if you have to do week one a few times. I've been trying to motivate myself to start this but afraid I'll puke lol
  • JessicaWhosit
    Options
    So??? why should you feel ashamed?

I was just posting an update to anyone who had commented before, sorry!
  • _Josee_
    _Josee_ Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I'll say what a lot of people said: slow down. You will be able to finish all the running parts if you slow down.

I did the same mistake when I started C25K one year ago. The moment I understood that I didn't have to run all out like a zombie was chasing me, it all became easier :)
  • UnicornAmanda
    UnicornAmanda Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    No, don't feel ashamed! I downloaded that app too and I only did one workout so far. It was tough!! I will definitely be repeating week one's workouts lol, and I will probably have to repeat all of the weeks workouts because even when I used to be skinny, I STILLLL could not run lol. Add or message me anytime!
  • hippiefemme
    hippiefemme Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Secondly, slow down - however slow you are running, run slower! You should be able to speak whilst you run, if you can't then you're running too quickly.

I heartily agree with this! When I started, I pushed myself way too hard on week one day one. I tried to run at a pace that I thought should be "running"; I quickly learned that I needed to slow my pace. I found that a good pace in the beginning of my program was about 2.5mph walking and 4mph running. If you can, up your speed just a hair on days two and three each week if you do okay with day one at a slower speed.

In my opinion, it's much better to exercise comfortably at those speeds and complete the half hour (or so) than to push yourself to go 6mph at a run and have to quit moving after ten minutes because you're so exhausted. You'll build up stamina quicker than you think!
  • newmom_2012
    newmom_2012 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I second some of the others, slow down. I was so sore after my first run, and I was advised to slow down. I basically run at a brisk walk pace now. I haven't been as sore since.

Don't feel ashamed about repeating a week. I just finished week 3 and I can just barely get through it, so I'm repeating it.
  • Samstan101
    Samstan101 Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Well done on your progress so far (and thanks for the update, its always nice to get an update :)). You're doing the right thing taking your time and repeating a session if necessary. But don't be afraid to push yourself and move to the next level once you can complete a session. You don't need to be completing it easily to move on, just finishing it and you're ready. The first few weeks are tough but you'll improve very quickly. It took me to about week 5-6 (which took me around 12 weeks to get to BTW) before I actually started enjoying it. Now I love running, I'm still not quick but getting slowly faster as my stamina improves, so I know the programme works. You're doing brilliantly, keep going :flowerforyou:
  • jenschroll
    jenschroll Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    You have absolutely NOTHING to be ashamed of. Just over a year ago, my journey to health and fitness was at a very similar place to yours. I started at 264, walked about 3 - 5 miles a day, and had never been a runner at age 37.

I started running using the Ease Into 5K app. I tried C25K, but didn't feel it was right for me. Just two weeks ago, I ran a 20-minute interval for the first time ever! It was so exciting to me and such wonderful validation for sticking it out, even when I didn't want to.

Feel free to add me if you like!