Do you think...

Options
lina1131
lina1131 Posts: 2,246 Member
I'm slowing down my weightloss by eating a footlong sub twice a week? I get a footlong on wheat with no cheese, adding tomatoes, onions and black olives with some V&O.

I have been losing give or take 1 pound a week.

Do you think this is hurting me?

Replies

• lina1131
    Options
    I'm slowing down my weightloss by eating a footlong sub twice a week? I get a footlong on wheat with no cheese, adding tomatoes, onions and black olives with some V&O.

I have been losing give or take 1 pound a week.

Do you think this is hurting me?
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    It depends on the nutritionals for the sub. For instance, what would be a 280 calorie footlong sub at subway could very well be a 900 calorie sub at blimpies or quiznos.

I usually get a 5$ footlong at subway and eat half for lunch. 2.50 for a healthy sub is not a bad deal :)
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    well subway tends to be big on sodium so maybe its water retention. OR you might just be at that point where weight loss slows. You're already lost a significant amount so that wouldn't surprise me
  • spaul82478
    spaul82478 Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    :happy: no... as long as you put it in. sub way is healthy.. I eat them on ww all the time and still loose.. a 12 in is 12 pts. I get 35 a day. so its not bad.. THEY ARE SO GOOD...:smile: Keep up the good work.. NOw if it was like buger king t hen i would say yes its bad but thre is nothing wrong with veggies and lunch meat. GOOD LUCK
  • lina1131
    Options
    Yes, it's subway that I get the subs from. The thought of giving up my footlong is killing me. :frown: :laugh:
  • spaul82478
    spaul82478 Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    NOPE don't give up something healthy you love. THAT WOULD SUCK.. I love subway and when i found out how little calories they actually are considering. Keep up the good work :flowerforyou:
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's subway that I get the subs from. The thought of giving up my footlong is killing me. :frown: :laugh:

:laugh: :laugh: You're such a hoot re: your subs. :laugh:

How about trying to cut back a bit. Maybe cut 2" off & throw away..and eventually get yourself down to a 6". Don't offer me the same advice when it comes to wine, cuz I won't listen. (lalalalalalalalalala)

Good luck! :bigsmile:
  • lina1131
    Options
    FOR SHAME! How dare you suggest throwing away a prefectly good 2 inches of a sub? :laugh: :laugh:

Subway is like my crack. I have to have it. I just hope it isn't hurting me. I mean, I have still been losing weight, I just wonder if it is making things slower.
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    DONT THROW IT OUT!! lol, give it to meeeeeee :) maybe you could just eat 1/2 the sub and have a small salad with it........ then save the other half for dinner so it lasts you alllllll day and you get subway at TWO meals instead of 1? Or you and hubby could split? or a friend.
  • lina1131
    Options
    The thing is, I have tried just eating 6 inches. I am left totally unsatisfied. There is something about finishing 6 inches and looking down and seeing another 6 inches to go. :blushing:

Size DOES matter to me, you know! :laugh: :bigsmile:
  • yellow_pepper
    yellow_pepper Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Warning: this is a "tough love" kind of answer.

To succeed in weight loss, you need to want to be thin more than you want to eat an extra 6" of sub. I highly recommend the book "Thin Tastes Better" for some good ways to think about this.

A foot-long sub is a big lunch, more appropriate for someone who wants to weigh 180 pounds than someone who wants to weigh 130. My advice would be to order the 6-inch. Try to eat it slowly with a bottle of water to fill you up and make you feel more satisfied.

Better yet, eat a salad of lunch meats chopped over a salad of lettuce and tomato. This way you can eat much more volume, since you don't have the dense high-calorie roll. If you can, skip the cheese.

Eventually, you'll have to make the transition to smaller - i.e. lower calorie (about 400 calories) lunches if you want to lose more weight. And you may as well get into this "thin" habit now so it's not so hard to maintain when you get there. (So you don't fall back into your old habits and gain it all back.)

If that doesn't convince you, consider this: if you have a 6" for lunch, you can have another for a snack or for dinner. Probably not if you get a foot-long for lunch. That's just too many calories in one meal.
  • lina1131
    Options
    Crap. I hate hearing the truth. :grumble:

Okay i'm going to get a frikkin' 6 inch today. I'm not happy about it, though. :laugh: :laugh:
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options

Okay i'm going to get a frikkin' 6 inch today. I'm not happy about it, though. :laugh: :laugh:

:laugh:

Dear Lina's husband,

Bring home flowers, offer foot rub. It's the only way to save yourself today!!!! :sick:

j/k :wink:
  • yellow_pepper
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Your hard work will pay off. :flowerforyou:
  • lina1131
    Options

:laugh:

Dear Lina's husband,

Bring home flowers, offer foot rub. It's the only way to save yourself today!!!! :sick:

j/k :wink:

Or,

Dear Lina's Husband,

Cook Dinner. Take out trash. Make bed. Clean house. Do laundry.

Happy wife.

Thanks!
  • KrisKabob
    KrisKabob Posts: 1,250 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you are losing healthy weight - "1 pound a week, give or take". I wouldn't change a thing. It's slow and steady weightloss that stays OFF, right?

You might want to swtich it up a bit sometimes by putting on different types of lunchmeat or using different veggies... this way your body doesn't EXPECT the SAME two footlongs a week. You must keep the body guessing other wise you will hit a plateau.

Keep up the good work! :wink:
  • MontanaGirl
    MontanaGirl Posts: 1,251 Member
    Options
    Losing 1 lb per week, give or take, is awesome!! If you are getting healthy subs - and you are already skipping the high cal stuff, I would go for it. Why change what works? Besides, if you take away something you truely love and are no longer satisfied you may lose your will to stay on track. An important part of a lifestyle change is it has to be something we are willing and able to do "forever". Eat your footlong and enjoy it girl!! Congratulations on the awesome weight loss so far!! :drinker:
  • yellow_pepper
    Options
    You might want to swtich it up a bit sometimes by putting on different types of lunchmeat or using different veggies... this way your body doesn't EXPECT the SAME two footlongs a week. You must keep the body guessing other wise you will hit a plateau.
    Keep up the good work! :wink:

This is a general response, not directed at Lina in particular:

Weight plateaus are not caused by eating the same food every week. They're caused by not adjusting down your calories (or increasing the time that you exercise) as you lose weight. Someone who lost a lot of weight by eating 1800 calories a day at 150 will probably not lose any at 130 unless they ramp up the exercise to compensate for eating the amount that sustained them when they had more to sustain.

When you're talking about exercise, variety is important. Individual muscles need to be challenged by different ways of moving them. But this reasoning does not apply to eating. For weight loss, you're better off getting the leanest, lightest sandwich that satisfies you every time than mixing it up.
  • kerikitkat
    kerikitkat Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Is it a 6 inch veggie or what?

I can't imagine eating an entire 12" sub. I get the 6" turkey or ham or roast beef and with veggies on top I'm stuffed. Buy maybe if it's all veggies I could do it?

I bet you'll be ok with a 6"... lots of women have to put up with them. :laugh:
  • yellow_pepper
    Options
    An important part of a lifestyle change is it has to be something we are willing and able to do "forever".

I completely agree with that statement. But some lifestyles will keep a person overweight forever. To be fit forever, you need to be willing to adopt fit habits forever. Not just keep the comfortable habits.

This is an important thing to think about as you lose weight: Is it worth it to me to lose more weight if it means that I probably can't enjoy [ ]? Insert the next habit that you'll need to change if you want to keep losing weight.

If you are far from what you would find acceptable, the answer should be YES! But if you are more or less happy with your weight, and don't think that losing more would make your life better, you might want to think about it.

I enjoy gelato or truffles a few times a week, probably about 700 calories per week. An unnecessary 700 calories per week translates into weighing about 10 extra pounds. 700 cals/wk X 50 wks/year = 35,000 cals per year = 10 pounds over the year. As a result, I weigh about 10 pounds more than I might if I never ate these sweets. But that's ok with me!

My goal weight is the lowest I can get to without giving up this LAST indulgence.