Coconut oil

Options
13»

Replies

• Ludka13
    Ludka13 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Also I would encourage you to do some reading regarding MCT oil....that is pretty much what coconut oil is....like 60% or more is MCT.

Medium-Chain Triglyceride

Your body processes those forms of fat differently than it does LCTs....which is what most fats are.
    So your body I believes passes the MCTs straight to the intestines where it is quickly processed and not so easily stored.

Been a while since I have done reading on it...so my recollection is a bit fuzzy

So, is it good for refueling post workout? Or should I eat a spoonful before? I went kayaking for 4 hours yesterday and wiped myself out, which is a good thing.
  • Urban_Princess
    Urban_Princess Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    can the oil be substituted for unsweetened shredded coconut?

In my culture coconut oil is used daily as a hair conditioner and the smell/texture/greasiness of it makes me want to puke. I would never want to eat it.
  • sabified
    sabified Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options

In my culture coconut oil is used daily as a hair conditioner and the smell/texture/greasiness of it makes me want to puke. I would never want to eat it.

While they're both made of coconut, they're two different things... That'd be like using peanut oil instead of peanut butter...

Lol I grew up thinking of it as a hair oil as well, but honestly, once you get over that it's awesome
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    For someone who doesn't like the flavor of coconut - how strong is the flavor when used as a cooking oil? I have a jar in my pantry, but haven't used it at all.

The coconut flavor is not there really.
    If you get virgin, you will get the coconut scent.

If you get non-virgin, or whatever they call it, then there is no scent.

I prefer the scent.

correction..
    Refined and Unrefined.
    Refined - no scent
    unrefined - scent

Just a note on this- refined is full of "bad fats" (think like white bread- processed to the point where all the good stuff is gone) while the unrefined is the one with the "healthy fats".... so you want to stay away from refined and go for unrefined. That being said tho, not all unrefined ones leave a coconut flavour... I like the flavour so don't pay attention to this, though I've read on the boards that some people have gotten virgin coconut oil which doesn't leave any taste in their cooking. Try searching the boards or google, I guess...

So, what are the "bad" and "healthy" fats, and what does the refining process do to convert one to the other?
  • Urban_Princess
    Urban_Princess Posts: 219 Member
    Options

While they're both made of coconut, they're two different things... That'd be like using peanut oil instead of peanut butter...

Lol I grew up thinking of it as a hair oil as well, but honestly, once you get over that it's awesome

sorry should have been more clear. In terms of adding it into your diet. :P I wont use shredded to cook, but just to eat in place of adding coconut oil to cooking eggs or drizzling on popcorn for example..
  • AmyMalley77
    AmyMalley77 Posts: 72 Member
    Options

I know it's a great moisturizer, but mosquito repellent? I will experiment this week when I go backpacking. I sure hope you're right...I'll bring backup methods just in case. :wink:

ETA: On second thought, could coconut oil attract bears? :noway: Maybe I'll just try the oil a little closer to home instead.

Not sure about bears, but it does attract miniature schnauzers... I use it as a moisturizer and every time I do, my dog Alice follows me around the house, licking my legs.
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I use it as a body moisturizer and mosquito repellent. Never tried cooking with it.

I do the same. I do not use coconut oil in cooking, because in most countries health organization ( including FDA & WHO) advise against it, due to among other things because it is so high in saturated fat. I don't bake and don't see the need to infuse my coffee with fat....so I stay away from it. I get most my fat from normal eating of cheese and yogurt, avocado and generally stay away from oils, except for a small amount of EVO in my salad dressing, but even there I prefer just plain lime juice.

I'm not sure what good reasons would exist to not use coconut oil in cooking, especially in comparison with other oils. It has an excellent profile with less omega-6 than olive oil or even butter. And what is the concern with saturated fat?
  • kofiannans_hitman
    Options
    Works great as a 'personal' lubricant as well. ;)
  • kapease
    kapease Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I have been using it for popcorn to replace the omega-6 hydrogenated vegetable oils, and it makes good popcorn. I also use it with masala chai latte. I just whirr in about 1/2 a teaspoon tol help get in a healthier fat in the morning. I haven't gone totally bullet-proof, but this works for me.
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Just ate two tablespoons for a snack.
  • stacyosoyoos
    stacyosoyoos Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I've just started using it as well. I ate a spoonful and thought it was tasty so then I cooked my fish in it.... which I didn't really care for. I think it might be better on toasted bread or something like that...

It smells great and would make a great moisturizer and may work well on the hair too, I've not tried it yet though :D
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I can't just eat it- that's so not okay for me.

I was using it in the bathroom as a toiletry long before it became vogue to cook with it- now I buy one container and restock my bathroom container.

But I don't find the coconut over whelming- and I much prefer it to vegetable oil- so any time it calls for that or shortening- I use coconut oil.
  • Kirstie155
    Kirstie155 Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I prefer to use butter or bacon fat to sauté my foods in, cause YUM.
    I want to like coconut oil to cook with, but I’m with the OP…I just can’t. I tried a recipe for sweet potatoes and kale sautéed in CO. Had to give it to the dog, I just couldn’t eat it. And I looooove sweet potatoes and kale!
    I do use coconut oil for my skin though.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I prefer to use butter or bacon fat to sauté my foods in, cause YUM.
    I want to like coconut oil to cook with, but I’m with the OP…I just can’t. I tried a recipe for sweet potatoes and kale sautéed in CO. Had to give it to the dog, I just couldn’t eat it. And I looooove sweet potatoes and kale!
    I do use coconut oil for my skin though.

well that probably had more to do with the kale.

That stuff is wretched.
  • DeeC01
    DeeC01 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I cant stand coconut, so for the people wondering if you can taste when cooking with it - for me, you cant.

I only tried it today for the first time. I had been told to try it for ages, but the fact it was coconut was turning me off. I fried my chicken for my dinner in it and I made popcorn with it. For me, there as no coconut taste.

I am going to try it as a moisturizer and a hair conditioner as per the responses on here thus far. I'm loving all the responses and tips here :)