Is too much whey protein hazardous?

Options
Hi,

I am trying to gain weight and added 2 daily scoops of whey protein to my diet. 2 scoops of whey protein is approximately 60g. I was wondering if too much protein can be hazardous for my health? Do you recommend me to reduce the whey protein?

For the training program, I am trying to do two session of weight lifting per week and the rest of cardio session (between 3 and 4). I am preparing for a triathlon end of july. I also noticed the whey protein helps me a lot for the recovery.

Jamal

Replies

• martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure excess protein just ends up being converted to calories just like anything else. I don't feel like 2 scoops of protein will ever be harmful. Watch the calories though, tread your protein like food because that's what it is.
  • cajuntank
    cajuntank Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    Getting more protein daily will not hurt you , but if you are meeting your daily protein goal (which is going to be around .8g/lbs of lean body mass (not total weight) and this is all that the body can use at max anyway to build muscle), then I would suggest getting your extra calories in the form of carbs. Carbs are the body's preferred substrate for energy and thus will give you better gym performance.
  • The_Sandra
    The_Sandra Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    This is really a question for your doctor and not internet randos. But, FWIW, here's my anecdotal evidence.There is evidence that prolonged excess protein consumption can damage the kidneys. My husband had this happen to him, but he was probably consuming 250+ grams/day. If you are worried about it, it's a matter of a simple blood panel which your doctor can perform at regular intervals, say every 3 months or so, to monitor your creatinine levels.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    This is really a question for your doctor and not internet randos. But, FWIW, here's my anecdotal evidence.There is evidence that prolonged excess protein consumption can damage the kidneys. My husband had this happen to him, but he was probably consuming 250+ grams/day. If you are worried about it, it's a matter of a simple blood panel which your doctor can perform at regular intervals, say every 3 months or so, to monitor your creatinine levels.

Yaaaaay anecdotes

Protein and amino acids for athletes. J Sports Sci. 2004 Jan;22(1):65-79.
    www.uni.edu/dolgener/Advanced_Sport.../protein_intake.pdf
    Since there is evidence that protein intakes above the RDA may be beneficial to athletes, a risk–benefit analysis may be useful. An important consideration is the potential harm that may arise from elevated protein intakes. There is little research into the maximum tolerable protein intake in healthy individuals. It has been suggested that excessive protein intakes may increase calcium loss, thus affecting bone health. However, since a major portion of bone is protein, excessive protein does not appear to influence bone health. High protein intakes have been suggested to pose a risk for the kidneys but, in healthy individuals with no underlying kidney disease (presumably most elite athletes), there is no evidence for harm to kidneys with higher intakes. Certainly, it would be detrimental for an athlete to consume excess protein at the expense of other nutrients required to support the necessary level of training and competition. There is a suggestion that intakes greater than 40% of total energy intake might be the upper limit. Protein intakes greater than 40% may limit intake of fat and/or carbohydrates, thus compromising the benefits of these nutrients. However, given the high energy intakes of most elite athletes, protein intakes higher than 40% are unlikely in most. Even a small female restricting energy intake and consuming only 1500 kcal would need to consume 150 g of protein to reach 40%.

High-Protein Weight Loss Diets and Purported Adverse Effects: Where is the Evidence? Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition 2004, 1:45-51 doi:10.1186/1550-2783-1-1-45
    http://www.jissn.com/content/1/1/45#B4
    Indeed, the recent study Dawson-Hughes et al. did not confirm the perception that increased dietary protein results in urinary calcium loss.[36] According to Dawson-Hughes et al., "Theconstellation of findings that meat supplements containing 55 g/d protein, when exchanged for carbohydrate did not significantlyincrease urinary calcium excretion and were associated withhigher levels of serum IGF-I and lower levels of the bone resorption marker, N-telopeptide, together with a lack of significant correlationof urinary N-telopeptide with urinary calcium excretion in thehigh protein group (in contrast to the low protein) point tothe possibility that higher meat intake may potentially improvebone mass in many older men and women."

Finally, the cross-cultural and population studies that showed a positive association between animal-protein intake and hip fracture risk did not consider other lifestyle or dietary factors that may protect or increase the risk of fracture.[35] It is of some interest that the author of the most cited paper favoring the earlier hypothesis that high-protein intake promotes osteoporosis no longer believes that protein is harmful to bone.[34] In fact, he concluded that the balance of the evidence seems to indicate the opposite.
    Despite its role in nitrogen excretion, there are presently no data in the scientific literature demonstrating the healthy kidney will be damaged by the increased demands of protein consumed in quantities above the Recommended Dietary Allowance (RDA). Furthermore, real world examples support this contention since kidney problems are nonexistent in the bodybuilding community in which high-protein intake has been the norm for over half a century.[3] Recently, Walser published comprehensive review on protein intake and renal function, which states: "it is clear that protein restriction does not prevent decline in renal function with age, and, in fact, is the major cause of that decline. A better way to prevent the decline would be to increase protein intake. there is no reason to restrict protein intake in healthy individuals in order to protect the kidney."[4]

Dietary protein intake and renal function. Nutrition & Metabolism 2005, 2:25 doi:10.1186/1743-7075-2-25
    http://www.nutritionandmetabolism.com/content/2/1/25
    Conclusion

Although excessive protein intake remains a health concern in individuals with pre-existing renal disease, the literature lacks significant research demonstrating a link between protein intake and the initiation or progression of renal disease in healthy individuals. More importantly, evidence suggests that protein-induced changes in renal function are likely a normal adaptative mechanism well within the functional limits of a healthy kidney. Without question, long-term studies are needed to clarify the scant evidence currently available regarding this relationship. At present, there is not sufficient proof to warrant public health directives aimed at restricting dietary protein intake in healthy adults for the purpose of preserving renal function.[
  • plm209
    plm209 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Protein at high levels can cause some kidney issues, but at 60g, you're 101% fine. Heck, you'd probably be fine at 120g. Remember that protein uptake and utilization is maximized during the 30-45min post workout. This is a time when your body will process and absorb the protein and associated amino acids instead of converting them to waste. This being said, you should not take all 60g in one shot. Ideally, take one immediately post workout and one post bedtime. Sleep is when your body rebuilds from the workout and the extra protein will help to prevent your body from entering a catabolic state.
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    Protein at high levels can cause some kidney issues, but at 60g, you're 101% fine. Heck, you'd probably be fine at 120g. Remember that protein uptake and utilization is maximized during the 30-45min post workout. This is a time when your body will process and absorb the protein and associated amino acids instead of converting them to waste. This being said, you should not take all 60g in one shot. Ideally, take one immediately post workout and one post bedtime. Sleep is when your body rebuilds from the workout and the extra protein will help to prevent your body from entering a catabolic state.

What would a high level be??
  • Jamal_Guildford
    Jamal_Guildford Posts: 214 Member
    Options

I usually have one in the morning: between breakfast and lunch. And another one in post workout.

are you saying it wont be harmful for my health if I have two scoops per day?
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options

There is no "magic window" to consume your protein....or anything else for that matter. Please refrain from passing on misinformation. There's enough of it going around as it is.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

I usually have one in the morning: between breakfast and lunch. And another one in post workout.

are you saying it wont be harmful for my health if I have two scoops per day?

If you are getting in adequate protein throughout the day you don't need to micromanage the timing of the dose and see Acg67's post regarding kidney issues (you're fine).
  • WVprankster
    WVprankster Posts: 430 Member
    Options

A post-bedtime shake? Why do you want him to drown?
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I am trying to gain weight and added 2 daily scoops of whey protein to my diet. 2 scoops of whey protein is approximately 60g. I was wondering if too much protein can be hazardous for my health? Do you recommend me to reduce the whey protein?

For the training program, I am trying to do two session of weight lifting per week and the rest of cardio session (between 3 and 4). I am preparing for a triathlon end of july. I also noticed the whey protein helps me a lot for the recovery.

Jamal

If you are trying to gain weight, why are you only lifting twice per week and doing a bunch of cardio. I would suggest weights 3-4 times/week and either no, or only 1-2 cardio days at most, as cardio takes cals away from repairing and building muscles and makes you have to eat even more to bulk.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I suppose if you had a bunch of tubs of it stacked up on they fell on you it could crush you. Other than that, realistically, no.

Death by protein!
  • oddzki
    oddzki Posts: 10
    Options

I don't think anything you said is accurate. Please stop spreading these broscience misconceptions.

Firstly, there is nothing to suggest (as of now) a higher protein intake will damage you or your liver, in any way.
    There has been a few studies proving increased muscle growth with increased protein in your diet. Suggestions to athletes have been a diet of around 1g/lbs of body weight, assuming you are not overweight. A higher intake than that has not shown any significant increase in muscle growth. (Exceptions of rare genetics and drugs)

So even though there are no evidence a high protein diet would case any damage, there is not much point at going higher than was is optimal.

The purpose of proteinshakes is to increase your daily protein intake because it's hard to maximize with food only.

Your question is is it dangerous to eat 60g of protein in the form of whey. No, you are fine. Alot of people eat double that, just from whey.

How many grams of protein are you eating though? If you are not an athlete, and only have use for about 80g of protein per day, there is really no use to eat protein drinks "just because fit people do it"

Figure out how much you are eating, and what you need to be eating to hit your goals.

To answer the second broscience claim that you need to eat protein 30-45 min post workout. Not much to say here, there has never been any studies to show this is true, at all. It's just one of those rumors that stuck around. Eat it when it fits you.

If anyone has any new studies and would like to point errors in my post. Please send me a PM as I would be happy there has been new research into the subject.
  • JeffInJax
    JeffInJax Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Even losing weight i get in about 180-200g of protein a day with no adverse affects. I take 2 scoops of optimum gold whey every day. I find it helps me stay strong/maintain muscle mass while shedding the weight.
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    I suppose if you had a bunch of tubs of it stacked up on they fell on you it could crush you. Other than that, realistically, no.

That gave me a good laugh
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Considering your focus right now is the triathlon, and you probably don't want to gain fat weight for that, but you are hoping the lifting will do something for you now ....

Other's have shared facts regarding an issue, outside what your Dr may tell you, likely isn't any.

I'm just thinking the carbs is going to power the cardio training - if excessive protein over what has been commented on is just taking away from having more carbs, then that's not good either.

There was a study of endurance cyclist showing protein shake 30 min prior to bed helped performance the next day - so I'd keep that one.

You need the right carb to protein ratio in your post-cardio snack of 4:1 to aid in glycogen uptake/replenishment for next day's workouts for cardio.

But beyond that, since eating at maintenance or slightly more, the extra above that 0.82 g / lb of weight isn't going to do anything extra for ya, but those carbs sure will.

Edit - timing references above is for endurance cardio as the expressed focus currently, not weight lifting. There is a difference.
  • Jamal_Guildford
    Jamal_Guildford Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Hi,

Jamal

If you are trying to gain weight, why are you only lifting twice per week and doing a bunch of cardio. I would suggest weights 3-4 times/week and either no, or only 1-2 cardio days at most, as cardio takes cals away from repairing and building muscles and makes you have to eat even more to bulk.

Hey,

I am preparing a triathlong end of july, this is the reason I am doing 4 session of cardio a week and only one or two session of weight lifting. But after the triathlon, I may swap my training program.
  • BITEME_GRRR
    BITEME_GRRR Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I got kidney stones from too much protein - I had a shake a day in addition to my normally high in protein meals.
    just eat a healthy balance...
  • jrbecker76
    jrbecker76 Posts: 4
    Options
    Although I think I might be in the minority on this, but when I used whey protein on a regular basis, I found it made my mood more depressed and irritable. I already suffer from depression though, so I guess that should be taken into account.