Do you have a vegetable garden?

Options

Replies

• Kari_1927
    Kari_1927 Posts: 16
    Options
    Been doing a garden for a few years now. Fun to grow some food in the yard. Its a lot of work time wise but not normally what I would consider a workout.

bd86e9f6-1737-48ad-a52d-f9e118c9bd6d_zps11304a70.jpg

P1030998_zps7c71a578.jpg

nice!

I only consider it a workout if I'm out there digging and doing a lot of walking, carrying etc. I put a lot of time and effort getting the garden ready and lining all the borders with rocks. All our flowers and veggies and everything are sort of spread out among our yard, and it's just a big hill. So, if I'm back and forth and out there getting my heart rate up I count it. :happy:
  • Kari_1927
    Kari_1927 Posts: 16
    Options
    I cultivate neighbours with gardens, does that count, mwahahaha! :laugh: Works like a charm, never buy another zucchini or tomato or lettuce during the summer/fall again. Oh yeah, and extra home canned salsa, pickled beets, canned pears, and crabapple jelly made from our crabapple tree (trades).

I have a feeling my neighbors and family will get a lot of tomatoes from us, and maybe potatoes too.

And I can't wait to make dill pickles to share with friends and family. First year ever I planted my own cukes and dill to use
  • butterrum13
    butterrum13 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I kind of wanted to plant mint in my front flower garden, but may not be such a good idea because I guess it really spreads and takes over everything. I wonder if I could put it on our wood line and it would overtake the poison ivy. Maybe I'll just plant some in the front and try to keep it trimmed. We do have a big yard so maybe I can find a place for it to just run free...

It really spreads, it is all over in our woods, on the wood line, and in the front yard. But the poison ivy is still there too. I didn't grow up here but my husband tells me there used to be a farmer near town who grew it commercially and that's where all the mint came from.
  • butterrum13
    butterrum13 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Been doing a garden for a few years now. Fun to grow some food in the yard. Its a lot of work time wise but not normally what I would consider a workout.

bd86e9f6-1737-48ad-a52d-f9e118c9bd6d_zps11304a70.jpg

c46325ab-2675-4632-bd5c-fb17b160d029_zps969b221d.jpg

Lovely! I'm sure it was a workout putting in all the raised beds! I don't normally consider it a workout either, unless it's something major like breaking sod by hand.
  • Blueseraphchaos
    Blueseraphchaos Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    Argh, phone not posting properly.
  • Blueseraphchaos
    Options
    Come to think of it, i have a pear tree in the yard as well...but the pears never ripen. I think something is wrong with it, but I'm not exactly a horticulturalist...

Not knowing the variety of pear, but some pears need to be just left to ripen indoors, maybe for a month or more

Or they could just be cooking or perry pears

We rent, and my fiance had the house before i moved in, kept telling me how annoying the one tree in the backyard is because it drops little hard things for months starting in August...turned out to be pears lol. They seem to get biggest and closest to ripe in October, i was thinking bosc..they're also brown-skinned? Unless that's just whatever is wrong with it manifesting itself in the skin as well. I tried to let them ripen indoors but only got one that was even close to edible, and that took 2 weeks. My cousin has a bachelor's degree in agriculture and said it may just need some food spikes...the one sort-of-edible pear i got was actually quite good, but still hard. Maybe they're supposed to be hard? Although i thought pears were usually supposed to have some kind of softness to them.

I also have a crabapple bush/tree that I'd like to utilize, if i can figure out what to do with them.
  • PrincessTinyheart
    PrincessTinyheart Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have a full garden - 4 types of squash, 4 types of tomatoes, 7 types of peppers, 2 types of melon, 2 types of beans, 2 types of potatoes, 2 types of peas, 3 types of cabbage, 3 types of onion, brussel sprouts, corn, kale, collards, chard, beets, parsnips, carrots, lettuce, cucumbers, sweet potatoes, garlic, basil, cilantro, oregano, chives, thyme, rosemary, parsley. mint.

fruit trees/bushes/vines - apple (wild and planted), pear, plum, cherry, blueberry, blackberry, gooseberry, grapes

nut trees - walnut, hickory, hazelnut and pecan

We also have a greenhouse for growing some vegetables year round.

Makes my efforts look kinda puny. :embarassed:
  • farway
    farway Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Come to think of it, i have a pear tree in the yard as well...but the pears never ripen. I think something is wrong with it, but I'm not exactly a horticulturalist...

Not knowing the variety of pear, but some pears need to be just left to ripen indoors, maybe for a month or more

Or they could just be cooking or perry pears

..the one sort-of-edible pear i got was actually quite good, but still hard. Maybe they're supposed to be hard? Although i thought pears were usually supposed to have some kind of softness to them.

I also have a crabapple bush/tree that I'd like to utilize, if i can figure out what to do with them.

Depends on how brown the pear skins are, sort of russet? Like russet apples? And not all pears are soft, guess yours maybe pear equivalent?

Crab apples, depending on size, crab apple jelly? Wine? I made apple wine [not cider] years ago lovely red colour from the skins
  • Blueseraphchaos
    Options
    The pears look like ones in the store, shape- and color-wise. Maybe they are just hard. Too bad because my kid loves pears but can't eat anything hard like that because his 2 front teeth are mostly fake.

I have pretty big crabapples....crabapple jelly sounds good. I'll have to try that this year.
  • lindsaymarcin
    lindsaymarcin Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    yep! Green beans, sweet potatoes, broccoli, green peppers, zucchini, and cherry tomatoes! :)
  • SteampunkSongbird
    SteampunkSongbird Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    I would love one but where I live there are several obnoxious young kids who live a stone's throw away, and they'd sneak into the garden to steal whatever grew (or just stomp on it all.) :-(
  • ErinRibbens
    ErinRibbens Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    We have a huge garden. I love to do canning and freezing. It is a great workout, too! I have a Bodymedia this year and I'm amazed at the calorie burn.
  • aarnwine2013
    aarnwine2013 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Yes we have one. We are growing, tomoatoes, carrots, squash, purple bell peppers, habanero peppers, stevia, mint, parsley, basil, cilantro, onion.

We have two rasied beds. I can't wait!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I see several people grow mint - can I ask what you all do with it? Mint grows wild here, and mostly I just run it over with the lawnmower, but the kids sometimes will pick some to chew.

It's used to make tabouleh and mojitos. It's good to make dressings or as an addition to salads. But it also helps deter some garden pests so some people plant it for that purpose alone.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have a full garden - 4 types of squash, 4 types of tomatoes, 7 types of peppers, 2 types of melon, 2 types of beans, 2 types of potatoes, 2 types of peas, 3 types of cabbage, 3 types of onion, brussel sprouts, corn, kale, collards, chard, beets, parsnips, carrots, lettuce, cucumbers, sweet potatoes, garlic, basil, cilantro, oregano, chives, thyme, rosemary, parsley. mint.

fruit trees/bushes/vines - apple (wild and planted), pear, plum, cherry, blueberry, blackberry, gooseberry, grapes

nut trees - walnut, hickory, hazelnut and pecan

We also have a greenhouse for growing some vegetables year round.

Makes my efforts look kinda puny. :embarassed:

Honestly, makes all my previous efforts look puny too. :laugh: We bought a small farm last year.
  • gakette420
    gakette420 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    For me the work outs come in the forms of digging in the spring. I turn all the soil and break the ground for new plots by hand. Then I hand water with a large bucket or gallon jugs through out the summer as not to knock of flowers or veggies and to make sure the water gets all the chlorine out before I water. It also makes it easy to fertilize when needed. :) My best spring summer and fall outdoor work is mowing the lawn. I always get a great workout from pushing the mower to emptying the grass bag every few minutes. I've already lost my winter weight so it must be working ;)
  • Letibetiboop
    Letibetiboop Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Started this year with a veggie/fruit/herb garden. Some were epic fails but I learned and am learning SO much. I live in SOFLA so it is great weather year round to grow most anything.

Right now I have :

Tomatoes
    Cucumber
    Eggplant
    Lime
    Cabbage
    Arugula
    Mesclun Mix Salad
    All kinds of herbs:
    Cilantro
    Mint
    Basil
    Parsley
    Oregano
    Sage
    Thyme
    Rosemary
    Chives

I am also starting to germinate:
    Frisee Salad
    Cauliflower
    Broccoli
    Onion
    Garlic

I am interested in adding a few more but am in the process of selling my home and do not want to get ahead of myself and have loads to move later on.

I also have three hens who give me delicious and nutritious eggs every day :)

55439954.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • gakette420
    gakette420 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Oh to grow year round. Very nice! We have super wet and sometimes frozen winter days here on the NW Oregon coast so growing outdoors isn't an option November through April. I think I would miss the winter if we didn't have it but to grow all year might just make up for the loss. :)
  • farway
    farway Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    The pears look like ones in the store, shape- and color-wise. Maybe they are just hard. Too bad because my kid loves pears but can't eat anything hard like that because his 2 front teeth are mostly fake.

I have pretty big crabapples....crabapple jelly sounds good. I'll have to try that this year.

Maybe the pears are cooking ones, try searching for poached pear recipe, may not be suitable for child, poached in red wine, but I guess non booze versions are available

PS may be problem in translation, jelly in UK is not same as US jelly
  • wanttolose40lbs
    wanttolose40lbs Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I have a small garden plot. I grow zucchini, rhubarb and lots of tomatoes and peppers for salsa