Looking for training app for beginner walker

Options
Cathi888
Cathi888 Posts: 37 Member
Does anyone know of an app for a beginner walker? I was thinking like the C25K app. I use Endomondo, but I would like a schedule to help me bump myself up.

Maybe I will just use the C25k and walk slower and faster for the intervals.

Thoughts? Insight?

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Beginning walker?
  • fivethreeone
    fivethreeone Posts: 8,196 Member
    Options
    How old is the beginning walker?

I'm doubtful that someone that age could operate an app approriately, but you never know with kids these days.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    Cute Dino Baby Escape?
    mzl.juhqdvbt.175x175-75.jpg

EDIT: There is this. http://everybodywalk.org/app.html
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    Usually 'training' means 'for something' - what are you training to do?

If you are literally just looking for something that teaches you to walk faster - that's all you need to do. Start walking. And walk faster when you can and slower when you can't.

If you are looking for something to help you start walking again after an injury or something I highly recommend you work with a physical therapist instead of a phone app.
  • taiyola
    taiyola Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    For toddlers?
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I'd honestly just pick a bunch of songs that make you want to move and go with that - I set playlists up in my phone so they are in blocks of time so I know how long I've walked without having to keep checking - make a 30/60 min playlist and just got for it!
  • Cathi888
    Options
    And... the hilarity at my expense abounds. Thanks everyone for your oh, so helpful advice.

No, really, some were helpful. The rest were just perfect people, that probably sit on park benches and heckle those who are trying to improve.
  • ajones1965
    ajones1965 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    If you have a smartphone download Map My Walk. You can save your walks and routes and can set it up to show you your split speed per mile. So you could plan say 3 different walks and repeat each week and try and beat your previous time or speed per mile.
  • DavPul
    Options
    And... the hilarity at my expense abounds. Thanks everyone for your oh, so helpful advice.

No, really, some were helpful. The rest were just perfect people, that probably sit on park benches and heckle those who are trying to improve.

sure, play the victim and blame us if that makes you feel better. but you still haven't explained what it is you're looking for and what exactly a "beginning walker" is. if you want help you can explain yourself clearly.

or you can sit back and whine about a few jokes.
  • Kathleen0916
    Kathleen0916 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I use MapMyWalk all the time and it records the path you take and how many miles you walk so you can constantly improve your time and distance. I also began using the Walk Away the Pounds DVD and went from 1 Mile to 3 Miles [Not quite ready for 4+]. You just have to start somewhere and pay attention to your body. I did too much and bought an advanced one and was sore for days. But if you just want to use your phone do the Map My Walk it's a great app. If you do C25K I can imagine on the "run parts" you can just do a sprint of power walking. Good Luck!!
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    I use RunKeeper because it syncs with MyFitnessPal and it has walking programs. I use it primarily for walking. One of my coworkers does C25k on it and says the audio cues are very helpful. It also has interval programs and stuff.
  • BraveNewdGirl
    BraveNewdGirl Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love Zombies, Run! for my jogs and the creators recently released another app called The Walk for people who would like to enjoy pedometer and game/storyline features minus the zombies. It might appeal to you!

http://www.thewalkgame.com/
  • RLMsFitnessPal
    RLMsFitnessPal Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I've got a FitBit One to help motivate me to get out there and walk. I keep track of my steps and miles, and have it linked to MFP. The FitBit also helps to track periods of restlessness during sleep. I really like it, and wear it almost constantly. I check in on both websites several times a day to keep track of my progress.
  • Cathi888
    Options
    Far from a victim, just amazed that people have to sort through all your wasted space to get helpful advice.

I wanted an app that worked like the C25k that would help schedule time increases for me.

I did get help from quite a few people. Just not you. You were more worried about proper context in a post. Have a nice day. Me, I am going to take the advice I was given and download some apps and go try them out.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    Far from a victim, just amazed that people have to sort through all your wasted space to get helpful advice.

I wanted an app that worked like the C25k that would help schedule time increases for me.

I did get help from quite a few people. Just not you. You were more worried about proper context in a post. Have a nice day. Me, I am going to take the advice I was given and download some apps and go try them out.

google calendar.

i don't use an app for my swimming, cycling, and running. i just write down how far i went, and how long it took me. and the next time i try and improve on one of them.

there is also a low-tech version of this app. it's made with this ancient material that my grandfather says is called paper... and you can put it on the refridgerator with this thing called a magnet... but i don't know how that works.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options

Do you want to run or do you want to walk? What would you rate your current walking skill level on a scale of 1-10?
  • Ftw37
    Ftw37 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I used Runkeeper to record my walks for many, many months. It's available on iPhone.

I also used my fitbit to get an idea of how many steps I took. It really helped me to stay motivated to walk.

I eventually got a Garmin Fenix watch to record my walking, and eventual running. It has the ability to sync workouts from Garmin Connect which can have any interval setup you program into it.

Oh, there's an app by the the folks who put out "Zombies, Run!" called "The Walk" which is supposed to be an all-day walking/activity monitor app which will use the story to pull you forwards every day. I tried it for a bit, and it seemed fun.
  • DavPul
    Options

BuihNU6.gif
  • Kathleen0916
    Kathleen0916 Posts: 11 Member
    Options

google calendar.

i don't use an app for my swimming, cycling, and running. i just write down how far i went, and how long it took me. and the next time i try and improve on one of them.

there is also a low-tech version of this app. it's made with this ancient material that my grandfather says is called paper... and you can put it on the refridgerator with this thing called a magnet... but i don't know how that works.

I usually just ignore the nasty and ignorant comments on this site but its just unbelievable how some of you waste space on this site. There are some really ignorant and offensive comments on this site. If you don't want to help and encourage people trying to improve themselves then why spend your time posting insults and being extremely offensive to random strangers. Just move along or don't go on these message boards. I don't understand why adults will spend their time on these sites just being rude to complete strangers for no reason. What do you get out of posting something like this to people you don't even know or haven't even tried to understand? Grow up. The original poster was just asking a question obviously not as experienced as some of you in exercising and fitness. You can probably use your experience and knowledge in a better way than just being demeaning and condescending.

I hope the original poster doesn't shy away from this site b/c for the most part people are very respectful, helpful and encouraging.
  • rhoule76
    rhoule76 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I use MapMyFitness or MapMyWalk to track routes, times, and speed. It does require GPS/Location services to be on for the app. It works well.