Gymgoers: what's with the staring?

Options

Replies

• ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    I usually only stare at people to make up short little life stories about them in my head. Then I proceed to judge them on those make believe life choices they made. No biggie, got to entertain yourself somehow between sets.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    I workout in my basement. Only my dog stares at me.
  • Squamation
    Squamation Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    bored.

In my gym there were only televisions in the cardio section. So weight machines and the weight room were super boring.
  • in_the_stars
    in_the_stars Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    I don't stare at others, too busy watching myself to ensure I have the correct form. *shrug*
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    Hahaha I love when people stare/admire me.

I just look them in the eyes, smile, and nod my head.

I always look better than the people staring, it's usually old men/milfs though.

Speak for yourself, buddy!

I believe he was.
  • caramelgyrlk
    caramelgyrlk Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    I agree with many of the aforementioned statements.

I am a female who sports a bald head and guess what? I get stared at like I am a creature from out of space. That does not stop me from working out at the gym nor should staring interfere with your routine regarless of how weird it appears.

Life is way too short to worry about things you have no control over.
  • MrTolerable
    MrTolerable Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    I just got home from the gym, and I'm hoping you'll shed some light on this: why is everybody staring if somebody does something a little differently? It's not just the people who go to the gym and think they're getting fit by texting and taking selfies, it's also the people who do actual sets in the weight room and then use their break between sets to stare.

I have serious back issues and go to physical therapy once a week, and my therapist has made me a personal training program to do at the gym during the week. The program includes some excercises that might look odd (using equipment in an unusual way or with ridiculously small-looking weights), but why is MY workout their business? I'd understand if somebody came to make sure I know what I'm doing and/or offered advice on using a piece of equipment, but no. They just stared.

I love being stared at myself and get stared at all the time... embrace the attention man.. sometimes even throw them a wink :wink:

Part of it as well is I get very very deep in thought when I'm lifting.... Skrillex or Deadmau5 screaming outta the ear buds... vains popping... my body feelingg sexxy and perfect... I sometimes catch myself in a gaze and I just shake my head outta it - don't mean to be staring but after your done pounding out the iron sometimes your brain needs to unmotivate itself from the rush brah.

be flattered.. can't take anything personal when your taking it as a compliment
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,568 Member
    Options
    Lol, so this reminds me of a girl that goes to our gym who wears the skimpiest of shorts. She'll do a set of hip thrusters and then for a minute, she'll salsa dance (major hip gyrating). Probably wouldn't matter much if she did it in the "stretching" area, but she does it right in front of the dumbell racks (doesn't use any of the dumbells) and all 3 flat benches. And at peak time in the morning (9am) to boot.
    So how could one not stare?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ShibaEars
    ShibaEars Posts: 3,928 Member
    Options
    If I stare, it's usually because:

a) you are incredibly good looking,
    or
    b) you are doing some cool exercise that I haven't seen before and I will try later on when you aren't around
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    Nobody cares what you are doing. You are being paranoid. When resting between sets there isn't much else to do but look around. I go to a gym with some really fit men and women, when I started, I was doing strong lifts so I started with an empty bar. People looked at me too. Months later after I had come to know many of them they told me how they thought it was awesome how I didn't let ego get in my way and stuck with the program. They didn't care what I was doing, they weren't staring at me, just looking around between sets. I have great friends in that gym.

+

How can you be upset with the people who look at you AND the people who don't look at you (texting, selfies)? I'm on my phone a lot when I'm working out. I'm entering my workouts into MFP or runkeeper or fitocracy, changing my music, and looking at my stronglifts timer to see when my next set is. Sometimes, I'm even posting on MFP forums.
  • ShibaEars
    ShibaEars Posts: 3,928 Member
    Options
    I usually only stare at people to make up short little life stories about them in my head. Then I proceed to judge them on those make believe life choices they made. No biggie, got to entertain yourself somehow between sets.

Love it
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    People look at stuff, especially if it's weird stuff. It's a thing we do.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Something else I just remembered...

As far as those people that are texting on the phone. Are you sure that is what they are doing? A lot of people use workout apps to record their sets and keep lists of their lifting routines.
    true- but really

does it matter if they are or are not texting?

a rest is a rest.

if I want to play candy crush on my rest- that's my prerogative.
    I mostly dance between sets- but sometimes I post on facebook and catch up for the day.

in otherwords: Doesn't matter what anyone is doing- it's nonya buisness.

I agree with you. I just wanted to point it out to the OP since they seemed rather annoyed by it.

yes- I kind of rambled off your post and back into the OP's topic. Most of that wasn't toward you directly- and just pointing out that yes they are playing on their phone- and it really doesn't matter why- LOL

But yes- I always forget too - loads of people use their phone's to track.

sorry- should have made that more clear since posting it at risk of being confusing LMAO
  • MrTolerable
    Options

Love it

lmao I love this as well.

so stinkin witty!!!
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    Did you consider that people were staring, b/c you are hot??? That happens.

Did you ever consider that they weren't staring at all and maybe you were being paranoid? That happens.

I watch people when they are doing something different (sometimes; mostly I'm staring at myself in the mirror across the gym to check my form), b/c I'm wondering what they are doing. I get bored when taking a break.

Its no big deal.
  • yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    If you're putting your whole self into your workout, I can't see how you would know whether people were looking at you or not.
  • MrTolerable
    Options
    If you're putting your whole self into your workout, I can't see how you would know whether people were looking at you or not.

trust me.. sometimes it gets obnoxious... you can't help but know... but as I've said I feel like I can knock out an extra rep or two having a hardbody staring at me.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    I find it odd that the OP took a cheap shot at people texting or taking pictures of themselves at the gym. How does one simultaneously complain about people staring at them AND complain about people minding their own business?

this this this this this this this

OP, why you not see the hypocrisy before you clicked 'post thread'?
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    I just got home from the gym, and I'm hoping you'll shed some light on this: why is everybody staring if somebody does something a little differently? It's not just the people who go to the gym and think they're getting fit by texting and taking selfies, it's also the people who do actual sets in the weight room and then use their break between sets to stare.

I have serious back issues and go to physical therapy once a week, and my therapist has made me a personal training program to do at the gym during the week. The program includes some excercises that might look odd (using equipment in an unusual way or with ridiculously small-looking weights), but why is MY workout their business? I'd understand if somebody came to make sure I know what I'm doing and/or offered advice on using a piece of equipment, but no. They just stared.
    Most likely they are just looking right through you.
    I know when I am at the gym I get focused and will be gazing in la-la land and sometimes it may be in someones direction
  • MrTolerable
    Options

Most likely they are just looking right through you.
    I know when I am at the gym I get focused and will be gazing in la-la land and sometimes it may be in someones direction

^this here is me all the time.