Gymgoers: what's with the staring?

Options

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    If you're putting your whole self into your workout, I can't see how you would know whether people were looking at you or not.

trust me.. sometimes it gets obnoxious... you can't help but know... but as I've said I feel like I can knock out an extra rep or two having a hardbody staring at me.

I'm also humble/vain enough to admit I've done this.
  • MrTolerable
    MrTolerable Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    If you're putting your whole self into your workout, I can't see how you would know whether people were looking at you or not.

trust me.. sometimes it gets obnoxious... you can't help but know... but as I've said I feel like I can knock out an extra rep or two having a hardbody staring at me.

^sheesh.. lifting together we'd never be able to stop :wink:
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    some people use the machines wrong

giphy-4.gif
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    I try not to stare. But if there's a ridiculously hot guy...anyway, bank shots off the mirror seem to work the best, instead of direct gaze. ;)
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    Are you serious? You have come here to get the answer.

Ha Ha Ha.

You'll probably never get the answer but you sure will get to see some cat pictures.

I would stare too if anyone is doing something unusual to the machine, on the machine, with the machine and I'm mind-my-own-F-business kinda lady.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    OP, we need video in order to properly view the situation...
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i really try and pay no mind to others when they're at the gym. having come off injuries myself, and wanting to experiment with different exercises, i know that sometimes you just have to do things a little awkwardly. the only guy i pay attention to is this guy in his mid to late forties. he takes one of those thin body pump barbells, grasps one end of it, stands on a bosu ball, and practices his freaking golf swing. why do i stare? i'm preparing to duck, just in case that thing goes flying.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    When I go to the gym, the ladies always be starin.....It coo though because I know dey b mirin. Specially when I be doin them Barbell hip thrusts. I just gives em a wink and they be blushing.
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options
    I watch people for many reason.

1) I need to know where everyone is in a room at all times. I don't like people behind me, and I have a need to identify potential threats.

2) I people watch. I like to watch people's behaviour and analyze it

3) Getting new ideas - I like to see what others are doing and if it is working for them, and maybe think of incorporating it into my next "Let's not let this exercise thing get monotonous" shake up.

4) Safety - I have a lot of people in my gym who work without a spotter. When they get tired, it's nice to be aware of what they are doing in case they need a quick rescue (It's happened a few times). Also, I have seen some people executing moves poorly in a way that may cause an injury to themselves or others. I intervene there as well.

5) Testosterone. I get a littel randy when I lift, and the hot people are magnets to my eyes.
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    It's 'cause yer hawt.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    I just got home from the gym, and I'm hoping you'll shed some light on this: why is everybody staring if somebody does something a little differently? It's not just the people who go to the gym and think they're getting fit by texting and taking selfies, it's also the people who do actual sets in the weight room and then use their break between sets to stare.

I have serious back issues and go to physical therapy once a week, and my therapist has made me a personal training program to do at the gym during the week. The program includes some excercises that might look odd (using equipment in an unusual way or with ridiculously small-looking weights), but why is MY workout their business? I'd understand if somebody came to make sure I know what I'm doing and/or offered advice on using a piece of equipment, but no. They just stared.

I don't think you're aware, but your post is rather judgemental. There is nothing wrong with texting or taking selfies at the gym. I text and log my reps between sets and take the occasional selfie for progress or to send to a friend.

As for them staring, well as you said your workout isn't typical. People stare at things they find odd. Or they wonder if you know something that they don't.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    if i'm staring its because you're hot or i'm trying to learn something.

there are those that would do it explicitly to make you uncomfortable i'm sure
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Human nature.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    gif fail...
  • maz504
    maz504 Posts: 450
    Options
    Ok so yesterday I found myself staring at a guy doing modified burpees while I was on the elliptical. I think he caught me staring and I felt really bad, but the truth is, I wasn't staring to be judgemental or make him uncomfortable, I was just really motivated by it! He was really rockin it out.

Point being, don't let starers intimidate you... sometimes we're just inspired and have no manners.
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    Sensitive people are sensitive. Who cares?
  • quellybelly
    quellybelly Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    I stare at the people who seem to know what their doing lol and try to pick up some tips. Sometimes I'm also mentally cheering them on :)
  • bciloveme2014
    bciloveme2014 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    They might be waiting for you to finish so they can use that machine or area themselves.

Or they might be like me and looking in your general direction but their mind is somewhere else.

I usually go to the gym, workout and leave, I don't pay attention if people is looking or not.
  • yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options

... so the guy brings his nose to his knee in a forward stretch, so I bring my chin to my shin, so he wraps his hands around his foot to deepen the stretch, so I go past the knee to bring my nose to the floor inside the leg, so he ....

- yeah, I've kinda been there, but in a stretchy kinda way!
  • headofphat
    headofphat Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Yoga pants....just kidding. No I'm not. Yes i am. Nope.