The Skinny Rules

Options

Replies

• 4homer
    4homer Posts: 457 Member
    Options

RULE 7: No Carbs after Lunch 
    Lmfao. No. How in the world am I to eat my pint of Talenti at 10pm while I watch Fairy Tail?

I just wanted to add im watching fairy tail right now and I noticed they are missing the second to last season (current) on hulu...im kinda pissed about it.
  • shutyourpieholeandsquat
    shutyourpieholeandsquat Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    RULE 1: Drink a Large Glass of Water before Every Meal – No Excuses! 

Never did this but okay.

RULE 2: Never drink Your Calories 

Oops, sometimes I do

RULE 3: Eat Protein Every Meal – or Stay Hungry and Grouchy 

I typically do but not doing so doesn't affect my mood or typically satiety. .

RULE 4: Slash Your Intake of Refined Flours and Grains 
    Never...bagel, bagel, bagel

RULE 5: Eat 30 to 50 Grams of Fiber a Day 

I'd be pooping furiously. ...

RULE 6: Eat Apples and Berries Every Single Day – Every Single Day! 

I would burn out sooo fast. . I eat them sometimes...

Lmfao. No. How in the world am I to eat my pint of Talenti at 10pm while I watch Fairy Tail?

RULE 8: Learn to Read Food Labels So You Know What You Are Eating 
    Cause knowledge is power! Once I learn to read, I can ignore almost every "skinny rule"

RULE 9: Stop Guessing About Portion Size and Get It Right – for Good! 

Yes, L2foodscale

RULE 10: No More Added Sweeteners, Including Artificial Ones 

Why? Theys calorie freeeeeeeee.

RULES 11: Get Rid of Those White Potatoes 

NEVER!

RULE 12: Make One Day a Week Meatless 

BOO. HISS. Make every day bacon day.

RULE 13: Get Rid of Fast Foods and Fried Foods 

No. Mcflurry and Mcwraps for life

RULE 14: Eat a Real Breakfast 

As opposed to a fake one? Mine Is at 12pm....

RULE 15: Make Your Own Food and Eat at Least Ten Meals a Week at Home 
    K.
    RULE 16: Banish High-Salt Foods 
    Why? Sodium isn't really problematic unless you have a medical condition. I sweat sometimes..

RULE 17: Eat Your Vegetables – Just Do It! 
    Okay...

RULE 18: Go to Bed Hungry 

FUUUUUU! Nope. Never have, never will

RULE 19: Sleep Right 

I Agree... Not hungry

RULE 20: Plan One Splurge Meal a Week
    ....okay , but if I'm practicing moderation, I don't even need this really. ..

HA! I'm this you on this :drinker:
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    http://s3-ec.buzzfed.com/static/2014-06/10/13/enhanced/webdr08/anigif_enhanced-buzz-19386-1402423064-8.gif

It's funny because it starts out saying that dieting is surrounded by confusion. And then proceeds to add many many rules which the sheer number of is confusing and overwhelming enough but then when you read them there is more confusion.

Case in point rule Rule #3: Eat protein at every meal, making some kind of fish your go-to protein as often as you can. Take your weight and divide it by two—that’s more or less how much protein you should be eating in grams every day.

The first bolded part confuses me because back in the day I lost 51 lbs on Somercise while separating my foods. I did not have protein at every meal because that diet allowed for carbs but not at the same time you ate meat. I'm not advocating that plan over this one just pointing that one can absolutely lose wieght while NOT eating protein at every meal because I've done it.

The second bolded part flies in the face of everything new I've read about how much protein the body needs. Maybe someone can clear this up for me. Not that necessary though if you don't have time since the first part being OPPOSITE to my experience kind of negates the whole rule for me altogether.

There are many other parts that don't match my experience such as BOTH times I lost weight in the past and this current THIRD time I never went to bed hungry. When I hear "go to bed hungry" it sounds like an outdated punishment for bad toddlers and children who have misbehaved and who's parents are not very evolved. I don't plan to put that into use for myself, as I feel I don't require punishment for my current weight circumstances.
  • sodakat
    sodakat Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options

These are ones that i find either complete BS or completely worthless.

Oh I guess I missed a bunch of them. I don't like any of those either, especially banning potatoes. Stupid. I was wrong. These are not my rules.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

Then what am I supposed to eat for dinner if I can't have carbs after lunch? I guess black coffee with noooo sugar!

Lard.

I thought lard counted as meat. Maybe coconut oil?

Good call. :flowerforyou:

eta: this is why I have to stick to being a flexitarian :wink:
  • rebprest
    rebprest Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Simmer down select negative people on this thread. I only use the rules as guidelines. I had a piece of toast before bed last night. I DO WHAT I WANT. It was just useful to get me started and reset my eating habits to something more healthy. Not sure why using these rules should be so upsetting to others. Even if I did choose to restrict carbs and go to bed hungry, it doesn't harm you, and it is healthier than eating a bag of Cheetos before bed. Has it occurred to you that reading the skinny rules was my first step in research? I then went on to read "In Defense of Food" and continue to read different views on health and nutrition. It's awfully arrogant to make such big assumptions based on one brief post. Also, if you read the book, a lot of the rules are flexible or expanded upon.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Simmer down select negative people on this thread. I only use the rules as guidelines. I had a piece of toast before bed last night. I DO WHAT I WANT. It was just useful to get me started and reset my eating habits to something more healthy. Not sure why using these rules should be so upsetting to others. Even if I did choose to restrict carbs and go to bed hungry, it doesn't harm you, and it is healthier than eating a bag of Cheetos before bed. Has it occurred to you that reading the skinny rules was my first step in research? I then went on to read "In Defense of Food" and continue to read different views on health and nutrition. It's awfully arrogant to make such big assumptions based on one brief post. Also, if you read the book, a lot of the rules are flexible or expanded upon.

I just have a real problem with unnecessarily complicating a fit lifestyle. There are only about three or four basic things that you need to worry about in the beginning and that's enough with everything else you need to get done in the day. You want this to become your lifestyle, not your whole life. Otherwise you wind up back where you began.

ETA - eating a bag of Cheetos before bed is better going to bed having undereaten for the day.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options

Who's being negative? You are getting honest responses to your post with some really good advice. Most of those rules are unnecessary and would cause a lot of people just starting out to once again give up because it was too difficult.

Well since keeping it simple, logging and moving more has worked very well, if you would like to call that arrogance ok, I call it confidence in proven results. Rather than here I want you to buy a book from me with a list of bogus rules. But if you would feel better I can print off my short list of rules and publish those for you and I'll even charge you $19.99, does that make it all better?
  • FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member
    Options

I'm not worried about what you eat or what tricks you follow. I'm worried about the newbies and lurkers that are going to believe that this is the only way. Then they'll either get confused or embarrassed when someone tries to correct them. This is just too complicated and won't work for everyone... So then they're not rules. The only thing one needs to do to lose weight is to burn more than they eat. Everything else is personal preference.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Here's some rules that will actually get you where you want to be (a friend of mine, Trog, posted this)

1. don't trust the initial setup that MFP provides. If you put in the wrong/inaccurate information, it'll tell you to eat an amount that may not be applicable.
    2. Make sure you eat enough.
    3. Figure out what works for you and is sustainable/healthy/long term.
    4. avoid fads. don't buy in to any "Hey, try the twinkie and vodka diet"
    5. Don't cut out anything now that you don't plan on literally giving up forever.
    6. GET A FOOD SCALE. Weigh everything. No, seriously.
    7. Get an HRM with a chest strap. You'll at least have a better idea of what you're burning. It'll be more accurate than the generic info in the exercise database.. and even more than the cardio machines. This is great for steady state cardio (run/walk/etc)
    8. Don't go balls out. You'll burn out. I see 300 lb people show up here, instantly start working out and cutting their intake SEVERELY... trying to cut out all of their carbs at once.. whatever. Take it slow. Figure out how much you need to eat FIRST in order to lose.. then incorporate exercise.
    9. Don't cardio yourself to death.
    10. Take the information on the forums with a grain of salt. A lot of people that have been here for a while.. and have been successful, may seem jaded. They give out GREAT advice day after day, only to be met with people that refuse to listen.
    11. Eat real food. Not diet food. Not "low fat, sugar free, now without X." It's easier to get/find/count.
    12. don't set time restrictions.
    13. measure yourself weekly. Don't just weigh. Measure and take pictures.
    14 BE PATIENT.
    15. Avoid forum topics that have "1200" in the title. It's just full of butthurt. Lots of it.
    16. If you ask a question on the forum, give as much information as you can ("yes, I have a food scale and weigh my food" is worlds better than "I eat a palm full of miscellaneous boiled chicken parts..sometimes.")
    17. Be honest with yourself and honest with us.
    18. This isn't a game, it's about changing your lifestyle. Do that.

pretty much that.

...and don't fall into the "1200 calorie" vertigo of suck because of:

the typical MFP users does this:
    1. I wanna lose weight, let's try MFP.
    2. OH! Wow, it tells me I can lose 2 lbs a WEEK? AWESOME!
    3. I just sit at a desk when I'm not working out, I guess I'm sedentary.
    4. MFP tells them 1200 calories, and they don't even eat that.. then they work out on top of it.. creating an even bigger deficit.
    5. Lose a lot, fast, brag about 1200 calorie success.
    6. Come back in a few months trying to figure out why they're dizzy, tired, not losing weight.
    7. Get on the forums, ask why they aren't losing.
    8. Get two responses (I eat 1200 and lose) (I eat 2200 and lose)
    9. Argument ensues about who is right.

Now. That being said. These threads happen hundreds of times per day. Most times, and I mean really.. seriously.. 95% of the time.. people get the 1200 number because they don't put the right information in when they set up the account. There are a great number of people that are trying to help. I'm one of 'em.

I'm a hardcore advocate of actually finding out what works for the individual.. by means of other calculators, averages, time, practice, and patience.

Blanket prescriptions of 1200 calories "because it worked for me" is more harmful to the generic new user than the "figure out what you need to eat." Unfortunately, one is a LOT easier to type.

Find out what you need: http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/

and make sure to read: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

Seriously.
  • eileen0515
    eileen0515 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    As a former fat person, now not. I have learned only one rule really works.

1. Compliance to the deficit.

How a person complies, and maintains the compliance over a long term period, is an individual thing.
  • jessspurr
    jessspurr Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    As a former fat person, now not. I have learned only one rule really works.

1. Compliance to the deficit.

How a person complies, and maintains the compliance over a long term period, is an individual thing.

Yup. One rule. Eat less than you burn. If you find these other "rules" help you do that, more power to you!
    One thing I have never understood. WHY do people think that quitting diet coke will have any impact on their weight loss. It has zero calories in it. (I HATE artificial sweeteners of all kinds so I'm not like a diet coke spokesperson or anything) It just makes NO sense! Do people think diet coke has calories in it? Is that it?
  • rebprest
    Options
    Once again, the discussion has spiraled wildly off topic from the actual question. I think it is pretty hard to argue that no one has been negative and judgmental on this thread, but I don't need to get into an argument about it. Have at it I guess.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    RULE 1: Drink a Large Glass of Water before Every Meal – No Excuses!

RULE 2: Don’t Drink Your Calories

RULE 3: Eat Protein Every Meal – or Stay Hungry and Grouchy

RULE 4: Slash Your Intake of Refined Flours and Grains

RULE 5: Eat 30 to 50 Grams of Fiber a Day

RULE 6: Eat Apples and Berries Every Single Day – Every Single Day!

RULE 8: Learn to Read Food Labels So You Know What You Are Eating

RULE 9: Step Guessing About Portion Size and Get It Right – for Good!

RULE 17: Eat Your Vegetables – Just Do It!

RULE 19: Sleep Right

There are some ok guidelines here, but also quite a bit of total bull**** that is completely unnecessary. I for one eat white potatoes pretty regularly...I eat plenty of carbs after lunch...I can't recall having a meatless day in my entire life...and srsly, go to bed hungry? Yeah...don't think so. I also know plenty of people who don't eat breakfast at all and do just fine Those are just to name a few.

I'm a pretty lean and fit guy...I try to make pretty good nutritional decisions and eat my veggies and get plenty of healthy fats and lean proteins...but really, a lot of this is BS.
  • rebprest
    Options
    Ok I'm going to drop this question like it is hot, but before I go, it's kind of ridiculous to judge the book from what are essentially just the chapter titles. There are explanations and exceptions about all the rules in the book, so please at least read first...This is just like a banned books debate at the library...sigh
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Ok I'm going to drop this question like it is hot, but before I go, it's kind of ridiculous to judge the book from what are essentially just the chapter titles. There are explanations and exceptions about all the rules in the book, so please at least read first...This is just like a banned books debate at the library...sigh

We debate meal timing and white foods and fast food and artificial sweeteners all the time at MFP.

I bet I've read more original research in the past year than is in the entire book.

That list just overcomplicates something that is stupid simple.

ETA - one example? I've followed all of my rules for two years and have lost 50 pounds. You weren't able to comply with all of his rules for 4 days (toast before bed). That's the difference between focusing on the important and "majoring in the minors"
  • jessspurr
    jessspurr Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I guess I get kind of fired up about it because I can't tell you how many times I tried to lose weight by following complicated and contradictory "rules" and thinking I had to follow those rules to the letter otherwise I wouldn't lose weight. Well, I couldn't follow the rules so I just gave up. It was a real ah-ha moment for me when I realized that literally all it takes is eating a calorie deficit to lose weight. I feel bad for people who feel like they have to adhere to some insanely strict and pointless rules in order to lose weight because in all honesty, I think that is setting people up for failure. MFP is actually supportive! We actually WANT people to succeed and when we see something that is going to hurt people in their success we want to squash it.
  • HardyGirl4Ever
    HardyGirl4Ever Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options

Personally I'm incredibly annoyed at all of the negativity and some false information people are putting on your post. I'm studying health and wellness and a lot of these are things they say in MANY things from many scientific studies. Sorry.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

Personally I'm incredibly annoyed at all of the negativity and some false information people are putting on your post. I'm studying health and wellness and a lot of these are things they say in MANY things from many scientific studies. Sorry.

Like?