NEWSFLASH: McDonald’s existed back when I was a kid

Options

Replies

• amwbox
    amwbox Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    I dont understand how anyone could become fat from McDonalds, that stuff tastes like ****.
    The thought of eating enough of it to put on weight makes me shudder :sick:

This is kinda true. McDonalds is the worst tasting, lowest quality fast food. Never have understood why people like it so much. Carls Jr would be such a massive lifestyle improvement. :D

Because maybe I dunno... people have different tastes? Just a thought... :ohwell:

But if they all have different tastes...why do so many seem attracted to the same crappy thing?
  • swinnie239
    swinnie239 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I think you hit the nail on the head! I was just having the same discussion with my neighbor yesterday, no one is willing to take responsibility anymore. I can sue McDonald's because I was too dumb to know my coffee would be hot and I spilled it because the lid wasn't pushed on all the way. Fast food is and will continue to be a "treat" in my house. I will join your AA group...hi, my name is Becca and I am an adult who is responsible for my own behaviors and actions.

Ok, I know that this one wasn't really brought up often in this thread, but it truely annoys me. Yes, the Liebeck lawsuit ahs become a poster child for frivilous lawsuits afterwards and many stupid lawsuits came from it, it was not that egregious a lawsuit though. The woman suffered 3rd degree burns and required multiple skin grafts because she spilled a coffee in a stationary car. She had also asked for a cup holder to prevent spills and was denied one. The coffee was heated to 190 degrees per McDonald's policy at the time, when the average was 140 degrees and even 160 would have caused far less severe burns and given the consumer time to rectify the situation. She offered to settle multiple times, for figures as low as $20,000 (when her medical bills from the incident were ~$13,000) and McDonald's refused, and kept offering her $800 as a settlement.

She wasn't awarded millions of dollars. The jury said to give her 2 million, but the judge lowered the amount to $640,000. Before an appeal, she settled for ~$600,000.

It is held up as an example, but that was not a horrible lawsuit. Many of the ones which followed, almost all of which were dismissed immediately were.

Liebeck vs. McDonald's however much people want to point to it as the ultimate stupid lawsuit, was not that stupid. A senior citizen was burned on 16% of her skin and spent over a week getting skin grafts due to those burns. It is not the poster child for frivilous lawsuits.

BTW, the Twinkie defense also had more of a story to it too.
  • amwbox
    Options
    I dont understand how anyone could become fat from McDonalds, that stuff tastes like ****.

This is kinda true. McDonalds is the worst tasting, lowest quality fast food. Never have understood why people like it so much. Carls Jr would be such a massive lifestyle improvement. :D

Lowest quality? How do you figure? They use low quality cows and chickens to make their 100% beef burgers, wraps and sandwiches?

Wow. Do you work for their PR department or something?

Take a sandwich from McDonalds and set it on a table next to one from just about any of their competition. I know which I'd choose. 9 out of 10 times.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    In what world would this rant be considered "Motivation and Support"??
  • amwbox
    Options
    Yum. Chicken foam.

5378133-Click-Here-to-Find-Out-What-Chicken-Nuggets.jpg
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options

Because maybe I dunno... people have different tastes? Just a thought... :ohwell:

But if they all have different tastes...why do so many seem attracted to the same crappy thing?

Yeah... ok. This is obviously out of your range for understanding. It's ok. :flowerforyou:
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    I think maybe you don't enjoy critically looking at problems. Which is fine, but McDonalds is part of the cheap fast food that is making people obese - it's unhealthy food that is cheap. They do have some duty towards their customers not to feed them crap. Yes, McDonalds existed when you were a kid. People became more and more obese during your lifetime so far.

Your comments about the Occupy Wall Street movements are similar.

It's possible to lose weight, but there's no known cure for conservatism/libertarianism/whatever it is that stops you seeing things in context. As Stephen Colbert pointed out, "Reality has a well-known liberal bias."

I don't know...

I think we should blame the people that are forcing these parents to take their children to McDonalds.

I don't know...

Maybe we should blame the people who had the idea of putting those play yards in...then demanding that parents bring their children there to play...but only after being forced to buy a Happy Meal.

Let's blame the Happy Meal inventor...
  • CarlaMichelle
    CarlaMichelle Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I don't beleive that McDonalds has any duty... they purposely make cheap food so they can sell it cheap and everyone knows that. and then there are the healthier options on their menu which is also a sign that maybe the other stuff isn't so good for you... if you choose to eat it or feed it to your kids you already know you're doing the wrong thing before you even pull up to their building. I agree that the parents are to blame for kids being overweight because they have control over what they choose to feed their children and how much exercise their children get. Just my two cents.
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    Yum. Chicken foam.

Wow. Chicken nuggets AND soft serve strawberry ice cream! :laugh:
  • bennettinfinity
    bennettinfinity Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Could you enlighten me as to why you feel that McDonalds/Corporations bear more responsibility to me than I do for myself? Be specific.

... Well, for the first part of my specific answer, I'll have to ask you to review your reading comprehension skills. Specifically, how did you get the impression from what I said that I thought McDonalds should bear more responsibility for you than you yourself do?

What I said is that when restaurants serve food, however cheap it is, they bear some responsibility to their customers not to serve them crap. Yes, people can do nutritional research and learn to stay away from their cooked food and stick to salads. But you know what? Some kids don't know. And adults who are too busy to think their food is terrible for them, they may not know.

Not everybody has studied nutrition. People don't expect their food to be processed, calorie-laden crap, they just want lunch. McDonalds take advantage of people not knowing.

I'm pretty comfortable with my reading comprehension skills... I notice you didn't offer up any information beyond the original 'it's corporations, man...!' line of reasoning.

Thinking critically, I think I'll choose to ignore you. Have a great day.
  • CarlaMichelle
    CarlaMichelle Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Yum. Chicken foam.

excuse me while i puke
  • Grumpsandwich
    Grumpsandwich Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    And after reading this entire thread. I have come away with this!

I am REALLY craving a McDonalds now!
  • jasonmh630
    jasonmh630 Posts: 2,850 Member
    Options
    They do have some duty towards their customers not to feed them crap.

McDonald's has no more duty to "not feed them crap" than a bakery has a duty not to sell cupcakes, or a grocery store has to not sell candy bars. And McDonald's food doesn't make people fat -- overeating makes people fat. Someone can enjoy an occasional Big Mac and fries (if they like that stuff) and still be fit. I take my kids to McDonald's every once in a while for ice cream, and you know what I order? Nothing. And nobody in the restaurant tries to "feed me" anything. Health and fitness are about personal choices and personal responsibility.

Good for you!

I'm not saying people don't have a personal responsibility. I'm saying that if people go there, and take their children there, the food should be less processed and less calorie-laden. Have you actually researched into what is in their food?

WTF are you talking about? There are less calorific options on the menu IF PEOPLE CHOOSE, and the food isn't any more "processed" than any other food. :huh: :noway:

... Do some research. People have made whole documentaries!

So you really believe everything that you read or hear?

Did you ever consider that a documentary director might twist a story to make it more sensationalistic so that people will actually want to watch it?

Because documentaries aren't generally what the film-watching consumer pays to see, you know... They have to do something to get the audience's attention.

Case in point: Michael Moore.... This guy sensationalizes everything he does to promote his conspiracy theories and personal agendas.
  • amwbox
    Options

Yeah... ok. This is obviously out of your range for understanding. It's ok. :flowerforyou:

Out of my range for understanding? Did that little bit of verbal judo tucker you out?

Perhaps you meant to say...Beyond my comprehension? Or some permutation of the sort?
  • RECowgill
    RECowgill Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Nobody forces you to eat fast food. Just saying

EXACTLY! If anyone is to blame for a child being overweight, its the parents. If you do not want your child overweight or yourself for that matter, YOU have to do something about it. No one else is to blame for it. Put down the cheeseburger and fries and go eat something healthy. Gees...I just love the "its not my fault" society! *eyes rolling*

As much as I believe in personal responsibility, this viewpoint is myopic. A more accurate statement would be "in my community and among the people I know, nobody forces you to eat fast food". For you this is true. For people in abject poverty, possibly less true.

If you work 3 jobs and have no money, no opportunity to change your situation, you might very well be stuck with poor options more frequently than someone who had better opportunity. While no one is physically forcing a burger down your throat, you may on a given moment between jobs have 2 choices: eat cheap garbage or starve. Just sayin.

I'm not blaming McD's for creating poverty or an unfair system. But they are part of that system. Nothing wrong with a little bit of corporate responsibility, in reasonable amounts. Stressed and poor consumers are often uninformed, they may even not have access to that wonderful internet thing (gasp!). Help them help themselves and maybe we get obesity rates down a bit. Less obesity in society would be good for everyone on many different levels.

It's arguing a moot point anyway. McD's already has changed their business to meet the social pressure that they don't show enough responsibility. It's already done, so nothing to debate really.
  • kirili3
    kirili3 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I don't know if it's a societal problem, but some people swallow free market nonsense to the point where they don't seem to see basic consumer protection issues.

McDonalds and other companies have become much better over the years, offering healthier options, showing nutritional information, hopefully using less pink slime (more documentaries for you cool bros not to watch), due to campaigns by consumers. Not by smug people saying that they'd never eat there and screw anybody that does.
  • amwbox
    Options
    And after reading this entire thread. I have come away with this!

I am REALLY craving a McDonalds now!

Aw c'mon! Even after the chicken foam?

:D
  • randomtai
    Options
    Yum. Chicken foam.

Wow. Chicken nuggets AND soft serve strawberry ice cream! :laugh:

Ikr??? Yum!!
  • RECowgill
    RECowgill Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I want a 20 piece nugget.

me too. Love my chicken foam. :love:
  • randomtai
    Options
    I don't know if it's a societal problem, but some people swallow free market nonsense to the point where they don't seem to see basic consumer protection issues.

McDonalds and other companies have become much better over the years, offering healthier options, showing nutritional information, hopefully using less pink slime (more documentaries for you cool bros not to watch), due to campaigns by consumers. Not by smug people saying that they'd never eat there and screw anybody that does.

Some people like to swallow... just saying. :smokin: