NEWSFLASH: McDonald’s existed back when I was a kid

Replies

• Sasssy69
    Sasssy69 Posts: 547 Member

THE BLAME GAME:

I can’t help losing my temper, nor control my appetite.
    I get so mad at mom and dad and blame them for my plight.
    I may not be successful, I’m a failure, yes, it’s true.
    But if society has taught me anything, it’s all because of you.

If only my spouse would listen, if only my spouse would change,
    If only the world would accommodate me, is that so terribly strange?
    If only this, if only that, if only you could see,
    I’m not selfish or self-centered, I just want you to please me.

So I went to see my psychiatrist, to see what she would say,
    To find the reason why so many folks just don’t see things my way.
    The secret, she said, is simple, why you’re always under assault.
    It has nothing to do with you, it’s true, it’s always someone else’s fault.

So now my friend, before I end, before I cease to complain,
    Before you start pointing the finger and think that I am vain.
    The answer is so obvious, and I think it’s time you knew,
    I now know why I’m so miserable, it’s all because of you

:drinker: I teach high school Seniors. I think I'll read this to them on their last day. :drinker:
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    I completely agree. I used to go to McDonald's as a kid...in moderation.
    My parents raised me on a healthy lifestyle as a kid. I would inhale fruits and veggies. I also lived through the 90s, so I was actually running around outside all the time. You can still feed your child McDonald's, and not have them be overweight.
  • roobelle
    roobelle Posts: 2 Member
    The problem with saying that McDonald's existed when 'you were a kid' sort of thing, is that they have changed the ingredients and formulas for their foods to make them addictive. The perfect combo of salt, fat, and sugar to make your body crave more. I have a fast food addiction. I would eat it two to three times a day if I could. It has nothing to do with my mother, or father, as they cooked meals for the most part. The problem is that once I got hooked, it's like quitting cigarettes. I -crave- their crappy burgers and fries. I long for a coca-cola from McDonald's. I hate cooking, ever. It's so convenient for me to just pull up, order, get it, and eat while I'm driving.

I do think their entire practices should be called to the table. That we should put the fire to their feet to help with the problem, not keep contributing to it. They could make small changes that don't alter their profits all that much, and it would make a big difference in how people eat. One example would be to not sell 32 oz or larger sizes of coke. Remove the large option of fries. Add less salt and sugar to their food.

I think poor people use fast food as their grocery store. They don't make enough to buy the healthy stuff because the healthy stuff costs way more than the bad stuff. So it's cheaper and easier for two working parents to pick up something each night than to cook. Our country has its priorities in money and power, not health and longevity. Until that changes, we are doomed.
  • DYELB
    DYELB Posts: 7,407 Member
    Crack is also cheap.

Drug dealers have a responsibility to give us better product.
  • Fitfully_me
    Fitfully_me Posts: 647 Member
    I think maybe you don't enjoy critically looking at problems. Which is fine, but McDonalds is part of the cheap fast food that is making people obese - it's unhealthy food that is cheap. They do have some duty towards their customers not to feed them crap.

Actually, McDonald's has no responsibility in what and/or how much people choose to eat. I don't know of any cases of McDonald's holding people hostage and force feeding them mass quantities of their food. Or did I miss that news story?
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    The problem with saying that McDonald's existed when 'you were a kid' sort of thing, is that they have changed the ingredients and formulas for their foods to make them addictive. The perfect combo of salt, fat, and sugar to make your body crave more. I have a fast food addiction. I would eat it two to three times a day if I could. It has nothing to do with my mother, or father, as they cooked meals for the most part. The problem is that once I got hooked, it's like quitting cigarettes. I -crave- their crappy burgers and fries. I long for a coca-cola from McDonald's. I hate cooking, ever. It's so convenient for me to just pull up, order, get it, and eat while I'm driving.

I do think their entire practices should be called to the table. That we should put the fire to their feet to help with the problem, not keep contributing to it. They could make small changes that don't alter their profits all that much, and it would make a big difference in how people eat. One example would be to not sell 32 oz or larger sizes of coke. Remove the large option of fries. Add less salt and sugar to their food.

I think poor people use fast food as their grocery store. They don't make enough to buy the healthy stuff because the healthy stuff costs way more than the bad stuff. So it's cheaper and easier for two working parents to pick up something each night than to cook. Our country has its priorities in money and power, not health and longevity. Until that changes, we are doomed.

No no no.... just no... stop. :noway: :noway: :noway: :huh:
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member

I'm sorry... but if all our bodies are different, then how did McDonald's figure out the perfect combination of ingredients that our bodies need anyway that would get YOU addicted.

Those things are not addictive. They do not cause a permanent, biochemical change on the brain. You might be a compulsive over-eater with a preference to fast food... but you are not ADDICTED to fast food.

And furthermore, a two income household should not be considered "poor". Honestly, the people that are considered "poor" in this country are far richer than people in most every other country.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    McDonalds existed when I was a kid too, but my family never took me there. As a result I don't go there now. Well, occasionally I will get an ice cream cone. I don't like their coffee so that's out. I eat on the run too, but there are lots of options for avoiding fast food places.
  • grandmothercharlie
    grandmothercharlie Posts: 1,363 Member
    The problem isn't McDonald's. The problem is parents who take the easy way out and give in to their kids badgering them for a Happy Meal rather than saying "no" and taking the time to cook something nutritious. (Don't even get me started on bedtimes! Another pet peeve of mine).

I never gave my kid a Camel cigarette and didn't give them a Happy Meal very often either. They are in their 30's and are not over-weight and still seldom eat fast-food. That is where the difference is. Parents would never give their children a cigarette, but give in on high-calorie, big-portion, low-nutritious foods because it is easier for them and then want to blame the restaurant. If McDonald's has done anything wrong, it has been providing drive-thru pickup which has made it easier for the parents to take the easy way out and not even have to get out of the car and walk up to the window like my parents had to.

McDonald's original hamburgers are the same size as they were when I first had one back in the early 60's. 250 calories. That was the only choice unless you wanted cheese on that. Having McDonalds was a big treat that I would get only a few times a year. If the words "super-size" or even "double" or "1/4 pounder" come out of my mouth, it isn't MickeyD's that is making me say them.

That said, I still have always preferred the original burger - minus the pickle, of course.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member

lolololol

NO.
  • ShellyC1985
    ShellyC1985 Posts: 10 Member
    (I know some may be offended by this post since it is a very sensitive subject, but no offense or disrespect was intended)

There is an article in the Lexington Herald Leader about a local mom who, in my opinion, is hammering the McDonald’s corporation. She is comparing Ronald McDonald to Joe Camel (Camel Cigarettes) and again, in my opinion, making McDonald’s the scapegoat for overweight kids. Has anyone ever considered that maybe the reason we have so many overweight children is because we have so many overweight parents? McDonald’s existed when I was a kid. McDonald’s advertisement was very active when I was a kid. In the spur of the moment I can still rattle off the Big Mac song: “Two all-beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame bun.” No, I did not Google the song and haven’t heard the commercial in 30 or 40 some years. A Big Mac has 550 calories (I did Google that.) And Newsflash: In grade school we had one or two kids that would be considered obese and I personally knew of maybe a couple of parents that were quite overweight. In Jr. High (now Middle School) and High School the numbers went up, but nothing compared to the obesity problem we see in America today.

Adults and children are not overweight because of a silly looking clown and super sizing meals. They are overweight because they consume too many calories and are too inactive in their lives. What I really think is going on here is the Blame Game, people not taking personal responsibility for themselves. Last year it was the Wall Street Movement who blamed big corporations for their plight in life and thus decided to go on a rampage to destroy private property. It’s the Democrat Party’s fault our country is in such turmoil, says the Republicans, or is it the other way around? Last night I overdid it on Domino’s Pizza and will have to either eat less today or exercise a little more to make up for it. Whose fault was it that I ate too much last night: Domino’s Pizza or the fact that they have delivery service? Or should I blame my wife since she ordered the pizza on a whim? I’m not stupid, no way am I going to blame her.

Maybe it’s time we started up an AA group, you know, and call it Adult’s Anonymous. And I’ll begin. “Hi, I’m Ernie and I’m an adult responsible for my own behavior and actions.”

THE BLAME GAME:

I can’t help losing my temper, nor control my appetite.
    I get so mad at mom and dad and blame them for my plight.
    I may not be successful, I’m a failure, yes, it’s true.
    But if society has taught me anything, it’s all because of you.

If only my spouse would listen, if only my spouse would change,
    If only the world would accommodate me, is that so terribly strange?
    If only this, if only that, if only you could see,
    I’m not selfish or self-centered, I just want you to please me.

So I went to see my psychiatrist, to see what she would say,
    To find the reason why so many folks just don’t see things my way.
    The secret, she said, is simple, why you’re always under assault.
    It has nothing to do with you, it’s true, it’s always someone else’s fault.

So now my friend, before I end, before I cease to complain,
    Before you start pointing the finger and think that I am vain.
    The answer is so obvious, and I think it’s time you knew,
    I now know why I’m so miserable, it’s all because of you

The naive believes everything, But the sensible person considers his/her steps.

Love this! Well said :)
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member

No no no.... just no... stop. :noway: :noway: :noway: :huh:

This...every no is absolutely correct.

Can I just ask when did people decide to STOP making their own decisions and choices in this country??? Seriously. Yes, fast food restaurants and every other restaurant is giving huge portions, yes, super size this, that and the other. But here's the thing...PEOPLE HAVE FREE WILL. OMG. Mind blowing I know that people could actually make their own decisions. They could decide to NOT supersize their meals/drinks. Just like today I could have decided to get a small caramel macchiato, but I wanted a large so I CHOSE to get a large. It's a choice. I don't want ANY restaurant making decisions that I am perfectly capable of making for myself.
  • _Resolve_
    _Resolve_ Posts: 735 Member
    Yea I remember the McDonalds that was around when I was growing up, I remember my father reading us a News Paper article that claimed they used kangaroo meat in the burgers.
  • julieager75
    julieager75 Posts: 61 Member
    Great post OP. I agree completely. Also agree with the poster that said kids are getting too lazy. I know it is a struggle to get my kids outside on most days and my 13 year old gets annoyed when I make her walk home from school.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member

People are responsible for how they eat ... not eateries. It is not the business's fault that people are simply too lazy to cook and lack the self control to eat sensible portion sizes. The diatribe about healthy food costing too much for the poor is a crock of lies .... really, your entire post is nothing more than blaming others for poor decisions and misinformation. YOU are the problem.
  • amwbox
    amwbox Posts: 576 Member
    Could you enlighten me as to why you feel that McDonalds/Corporations bear more responsibility to me than I do for myself? Be specific.

... Well, for the first part of my specific answer, I'll have to ask you to review your reading comprehension skills. Specifically, how did you get the impression from what I said that I thought McDonalds should bear more responsibility for you than you yourself do?

What I said is that when restaurants serve food, however cheap it is, they bear some responsibility to their customers not to serve them crap. Yes, people can do nutritional research and learn to stay away from their cooked food and stick to salads. But you know what? Some kids don't know. And adults who are too busy to think their food is terrible for them, they may not know.

Not everybody has studied nutrition. People don't expect their food to be processed, calorie-laden crap, they just want lunch. McDonalds take advantage of people not knowing.

Nope. They don't have any more responsibility than anyone else. They make a product that is intrinsically bad for you, and everyone knows it. If the customer wants to buy crap...their responsibility is to sell them crap. Because they are in the crap business, and lots of people like to buy crap. Savez?

Same goes for ice cream manufactures. Candy manufacturers. Whoever it is that makes oreo cookies. And on and on and on....
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    I agree with OP. It's not McDonad's fault we have formed less desirable habits. McDonald's was around when I was a kid, and we ate there maybe once or twice a year. McDonald's is still around, and I eat there maybe once or twice a year.

I did not get to where I am eating McDonald's or fast food, I did by eating too much rice, bread and candies. Using that logic, do I get to blame the local grocery store and bread bakery for my plight instead of using that thing on my shoulders and reducing the amount of rice, bread and candies I eat?
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    They do have some duty towards their customers not to feed them crap.

McDonald's has no more duty to "not feed them crap" than a bakery has a duty not to sell cupcakes, or a grocery store has to not sell candy bars. And McDonald's food doesn't make people fat -- overeating makes people fat. Someone can enjoy an occasional Big Mac and fries (if they like that stuff) and still be fit. I take my kids to McDonald's every once in a while for ice cream, and you know what I order? Nothing. And nobody in the restaurant tries to "feed me" anything. Health and fitness are about personal choices and personal responsibility.

Good for you!

I'm not saying people don't have a personal responsibility. I'm saying that if people go there, and take their children there, the food should be less processed and less calorie-laden. Have you actually researched into what is in their food?

WTF are you talking about? There are less calorific options on the menu IF PEOPLE CHOOSE, and the food isn't any more "processed" than any other food. :huh: :noway:

... Do some research. People have made whole documentaries!

Oh noes whole documentaries???

panic.gif

LOL - Yea, once you start throwing in "whole documentaries" in as an argument, you pretty much lose all credibility. I guess if you get your research from youtube, I can see how one can overlook the fact that there is nothing wrong with McDonalds' food in moderation, just like any other food.
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    OP, you are only seeing half of the problem. The other half is that low SES people live in low SES areas, where healthy food is difficult to access because the only sources of food in the area are fast food restaurants and corner stores, and even if the low SES people have a car (which is not likely) and can drive to a relatively distant grocery store, they don't know how to eat healthy and especially how to eat healthy on a budget.

I was raised in a very poor family, but my mother was raised by someone who knew how to eat healthy on a budget: canned/frozen vegetables, meat on sale, pasta/bread/rice is cheap and she always made sure our meals were balanced. No soda except as a treat, no fast food except once every few weeks as a treat, etc. Most low SES families don't have this knowledge and truly believe that fast food and cheap unhealthy food from corner stores is the best they can do or don't understand how to feed their kids (and themselves) proper nutrient balanced meals. I'm not saying it's all McDonald's fault, but it's certainly not solely an individual problem either.

I don't really get this line of thinking. You're agreeing with a post suggesting McDonalds feeds their customers "crap"... if that's the case, why do so many people eat it? You're saying people don't know how to eat "healthy"... not sure that a generic term like "healthy eating" could be any vaguer, but in the context of this discussion, we're simply talking about obesity and so ultimately we're talking overconsumption. I'm pretty sure even the dumbest, poorest American knows that you'll get fat if you shovel down multiple burgers with large fries every single day, if you aren't doing enough exercise to compensate for those calories. They may not be able to engage in a discussion about TDEE, protein requirements, and the like, but I don't buy that anyone struggles to grasp the basic concept of "if I eat too much, I'll get fat(ter)." Even if they somehow didn't know this, you could figure it out by watching yourself get fatter and fatter as you eat more and more burgers, but I'm pretty sure they don't need to self experiment to figure that out. Frankly I think it's a bit condescending to suggest that the obesity epidemic is just because they're too stupid/poor to know better. They know EXACTLY what they're doing; they just choose the short term pleasure of overconsumption, despite the long term consequences of fat gain.

Do people still do it? Of course they do. Burgers are delicious. Soda is delicious. Pizza is delicious. And they're all inexpensive to boot. But blaming McDonalds for making food so tasty that people overconsume it, rather than the people making conscious decisions and paying money to overconsume the food, is faulty logic (common today as people are so quick to blame everyone but themselves for their problems). What you're saying your family had was the ability to eat in moderation. What families that overconsume McDonalds lack is the ability to eat in moderation. McDonald's isn't to blame for that; the other families are.

At the end of the day, it IS solely the individual's responsibility to take care of his own body. You can lose, maintain or gain weight by eating at McDonalds. Which one you do is up to you.
  • amwbox
    amwbox Posts: 576 Member
    I dont understand how anyone could become fat from McDonalds, that stuff tastes like ****.
    The thought of eating enough of it to put on weight makes me shudder :sick:

This is kinda true. McDonalds is the worst tasting, lowest quality fast food. Never have understood why people like it so much. Carls Jr would be such a massive lifestyle improvement. :D