NEWSFLASH: McDonald’s existed back when I was a kid

Replies

• gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    They do have some duty towards their customers not to feed them crap.

McDonald's has no more duty to "not feed them crap" than a bakery has a duty not to sell cupcakes, or a grocery store has to not sell candy bars. And McDonald's food doesn't make people fat -- overeating makes people fat. Someone can enjoy an occasional Big Mac and fries (if they like that stuff) and still be fit. I take my kids to McDonald's every once in a while for ice cream, and you know what I order? Nothing. And nobody in the restaurant tries to "feed me" anything. Health and fitness are about personal choices and personal responsibility.

Good for you!

I'm not saying people don't have a personal responsibility. I'm saying that if people go there, and take their children there, the food should be less processed and less calorie-laden. Have you actually researched into what is in their food?

You want McDonald's to make less processed and less calorie-laden food? Why not just stay away from McDonald's? If a parent feels strongly about this, then they shouldn't make McD's their choice of restaurant.

Taking personal responsibility means you make choices for your life that reflect your beliefs. It will never mean the world around you must conform to your ideals.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member

McDonald's has no more duty to "not feed them crap" than a bakery has a duty not to sell cupcakes, or a grocery store has to not sell candy bars. And McDonald's food doesn't make people fat -- overeating makes people fat. Someone can enjoy an occasional Big Mac and fries (if they like that stuff) and still be fit. I take my kids to McDonald's every once in a while for ice cream, and you know what I order? Nothing. And nobody in the restaurant tries to "feed me" anything. Health and fitness are about personal choices and personal responsibility.

Good for you!

I'm not saying people don't have a personal responsibility. I'm saying that if people go there, and take their children there, the food should be less processed and less calorie-laden. Have you actually researched into what is in their food?

WTF are you talking about? There are less calorific options on the menu IF PEOPLE CHOOSE, and the food isn't any more "processed" than any other food. :huh: :noway:

... Do some research. People have made whole documentaries!

So you really believe everything that you read or hear?

Did you ever consider that a documentary director might twist a story to make it more sensationalistic so that people will actually want to watch it?

Because documentaries aren't generally what the film-watching consumer pays to see, you know... They have to do something to get the audience's attention.
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Great OP!!
  • perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    On a sesame SEED bun.
  • ren_ascent
    ren_ascent Posts: 432 Member
    I'm in love with that little ditty at the end. Great post OP! :heart:
  • jackpotclown
    jackpotclown Posts: 3,291 Member
    Actually, McDonalds in some countries do serve cheap and rather good salad, I'll say that for them. Customers have been kicking back. But they still have a responsibility to not make such heavily processed food, and customers should show them that by refusing to buy the more calorific products.

No. No. NO!

They are a business. They don't have any responsibility to do anything other than provide the product the customer wants. The customer shows McDonalds what they want every day by lining up in their millions to buy greasy fatty food.

McDonalds ignoring their customers and trying to sell carrot sticks or whatever would create some difficult answers for the shareholders.

You go to the store and buy health food if you want health food. If you want something greasy you go to fast food.

Don't blame anyone but yourself for what you choose to buy and consume...and especially feed to children.

Exactly, the nutrition information has been out there for years......so tired of the blame game \m/
  • iwannabinnarnia
    iwannabinnarnia Posts: 179 Member
    Hmmm.. yes.. eating too many calories does cause a person to gain weight. But how do you counter those calories? By getting off the couch and moving! THAT is where I think things are wrong today. In my youth we played outside.. the neighborhood was filled with children playing in their yards, riding bikes, etc.. we were active, we were outside, we were moving!!! Now a days.. I drive around neighborhoods and you hardly see any kids outside playing... playgrounds are empty. Why? Computer games? Television? It's a balance. You can eat the McDonalds, you can eat the ice cream, the potato chips, but you must balance it with ACTION and MOVEMENT! And that is what is missing. Today's youth wants to play their video games, watch their tvs, lay around and do nothing.. that is where the obesity issue is coming from... in my opinion.. which is just that.. my opinion...
  • sassyjae21
    sassyjae21 Posts: 1,217 Member
    I ate McDonalds and Whataburger SO MUCH as a kid. So. Much. My parents cooked as much as possible, but sometimes they just didn't feel like it, or we'd go on vacations, whatever.

The difference? I played outside. Every. Day. I stayed active as a kid. That's the difference. Kids aren't doing crap these days but staying on social media and playing video games.

Now as an adult, I know that if I still want to continue to eat those (high calorie) things. I STILL have to stay active.

People aren't active. They're eating it and then sitting around.
  • kirili3
    kirili3 Posts: 244 Member
    Could you enlighten me as to why you feel that McDonalds/Corporations bear more responsibility to me than I do for myself? Be specific.

... Well, for the first part of my specific answer, I'll have to ask you to review your reading comprehension skills. Specifically, how did you get the impression from what I said that I thought McDonalds should bear more responsibility for you than you yourself do?

What I said is that when restaurants serve food, however cheap it is, they bear some responsibility to their customers not to serve them crap. Yes, people can do nutritional research and learn to stay away from their cooked food and stick to salads. But you know what? Some kids don't know. And adults who are too busy to think their food is terrible for them, they may not know.

Not everybody has studied nutrition. People don't expect their food to be processed, calorie-laden crap, they just want lunch. McDonalds take advantage of people not knowing.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member

Good for you!

Most McDonalds restaurants have huge play areas for the kids. My kids probably burn more calories playing there than they get from eating their happy meals. How many calories are there in 4 chicken nuggets (one of which you can guarantee will end up being dropped on the floor) and that tiny tiny packet of french fries? And the happy meal drinks are tiny.

They go there once a week if that (some weeks they have other treats rather than McDonalds) and the rest of the time they have home cooked food.

A trip to the cinema IMO is more obesity-inducing, because they sit still for the duration of the film and my kids inevitably want either popcorn or frozen yoghurt to eat while they watch the film. They have the small sized ones, because they're small. But I still think the calories in v calories out is better at McDonalds because of the time they spend in the play area running around. But all these things are fine in moderation... I don't see it as anything to make a big fuss about or prevent the kids having fun or seeing age-appropriate movies that they want to see.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member

Good for you!

WTF are you talking about? There are less calorific options on the menu IF PEOPLE CHOOSE, and the food isn't any more "processed" than any other food. :huh: :noway:

Oh noes whole documentaries???

panic.gif
  • rpmtnbkr
    rpmtnbkr Posts: 137 Member
    Point well made! I grew up with McDonalds and the others as well... It was a treat to get it... Back in the day... we played outside all day, we had no video games cell phones etc.

Granted it's cheap and it's fast but really???? Everyday I walk through the lunch room at work... the same people day after day after day eating the same thing... Not only McDonalds, but Hardess, Sonic, Wendy's Arby's.... Yep, most of them are over weight...

I eat the same thing pretty much everyday as well, but I choose to make my own salad or sandwich or whatever leftovers are available... Yep I have a few extra pounds... I work out regualry in the cooler months, less regularly in the warmer months because I'd rather be outside working in the garden or yard etc.

Just saying......
  • Deborah105
    Deborah105 Posts: 183 Member
    Yes to this! Choices everyone! Indulging in fast food is a choice.

McD's was around when I was a kid, but as the OP said, it was rarely and it was a treat.

The other difference is we played OUTSIDE. Our parents would say, "Are you bored? I can find something for you to do." And we'd get our skinny *kitten* outside and ride our bikes, play softball, kickball, run around, walk everywhere. It was very different. Our parents NEVER knew where we were, but you were expected to show up at home at check in times. Noon and dinner time.

I'm sad for all the kids staring at some kind of screen all day long. I'm sad when I see babies "swiping" on a tablet. WTF anyway??
  • perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    When I was a kid (in the 60s) hardly any kids were obese, and if you were overweight at all you could be teased about being "fat" because the pickings were slim, but the obese kids got it the worst.

The parents, on the other hand...I remember lots of obese parents, conservatively I would say when I saw my schoolmates parents, it had to be around 40%, it was common for the parents to be obese, my Mom was obese and my Dad was not, but my Mom lived a lot longer than my Dad.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    I actually had McDonald's for breakfast. 616 calories of deliciousness! I'll have all 616 calories burned off by the end of the day.
  • Mbierschbach
    Mbierschbach Posts: 94 Member
    No, they don't force me. I don't eat fast food often, but when people are busy and they need access to a cheap meal, they go to places like McDonalds and other places. It's not a crime to want a cheap lunch. The places that purport to serve food have a responsibility to the people they serve.

Yes, everybody could pack their own lunch and all the restaurants could close down during lunch hour. But many people, many working people, eat out. The places where they eat should take some responsibility not to serve heavily processed, terrible food.

Companies have some responsibility to consumers. For example, they can't poison you. The next step is to ask them not to serve ridiculously processed crap to people. No, people don't have to eat it, but removing responsibility from the company is ridiculous. Or, to put it another way, Republican.

It's not a crime to eat food out. Restaurants should serve reasonable food. It's not the 19th Century, 'buyer beware'.

Wow. So many wows I can't get over it. This will not end well.

1. No one NEEDS access to CHEAP or FAST food. It is a convenience pure and simple.
    2. For food to be so CHEAP and FAST it HAS TO BE grossly overprocess and mass produced. Think widgets.
    3. Comparing not poisoning people to providing wholly nutritious options is a far far stretch. Funnel cakes at the fair are neither nutritous nor poison. Are we going to picket them? They don't have a RESPONSIBILITY to make nutritous deep fried batter. In fact an entrepeneur would say they have the RESPONSIBILITY to please their clients and sell them exactly what they want.

The OP hit the nail on the head. Don't blame (insert corporate megamonster here) for making what people want. Go ahead and eat out. Get a minimally processed grilled chicken breast cooked from fresh with a side of rice and green beans. DO NOT expect it get it in under 90 seconds. Could you do it at home? Could you do it for $3.99? No one has the right to expect that espeically with the current push to force these demons of corporate greed (/sarcasm) to pay said fast food workers $15/hour. How much you think your HEALTHY FAST CHEAP food will cost then?
  • mfp2014mfp
    mfp2014mfp Posts: 689 Member
    I dont understand how anyone could become fat from McDonalds, that stuff tastes like ****.
    The thought of eating enough of it to put on weight makes me shudder :sick:
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,723 Member

Good for you!

Oh noes whole documentaries???

panic.gif

I'm gonna go get an Egg McMuffin and a Hash brown. You want anything?
  • tanishabearr
    tanishabearr Posts: 15 Member
    Actually I regularly eat McDonald's- a poor late student walking/biking to school is gonna get some breakfast since they're already late. IMO, it's all based on what you eat and how much. McDonalds or gourmet salads. I get the parfait for breakfast- it's cheap, easy, pretty healthy, quick, and oh yeah- from McDonalds.

It's all up to the customer; McDonalds has options and variety. But people *choose* to have a Big Mac with extra cheese and added bacon twice a day instead of something a bit less greasy and loaded in crap and it's McDonalds' job to provide that. If people wanted more healthy food from fast foods, I could ask for my the new healthy foods without being told that was cancelled due to "no one buying it".
  • KellySue67
    KellySue67 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Great post OP!! Thank you!