NEWSFLASH: McDonald’s existed back when I was a kid

Replies

• kirili3
    kirili3 Posts: 244 Member
    They do have some duty towards their customers not to feed them crap.

McDonald's has no more duty to "not feed them crap" than a bakery has a duty not to sell cupcakes, or a grocery store has to not sell candy bars. And McDonald's food doesn't make people fat -- overeating makes people fat. Someone can enjoy an occasional Big Mac and fries (if they like that stuff) and still be fit. I take my kids to McDonald's every once in a while for ice cream, and you know what I order? Nothing. And nobody in the restaurant tries to "feed me" anything. Health and fitness are about personal choices and personal responsibility.

Good for you!

I'm not saying people don't have a personal responsibility. I'm saying that if people go there, and take their children there, the food should be less processed and less calorie-laden. Have you actually researched into what is in their food?
  • Grumpsandwich
    Grumpsandwich Posts: 368 Member
    McDonalds isnt the problem. Its the lack of willpower thats the problem. No ones holding a gun saying EAT MC DONALDS FOO! My parents were LUCKY to take us to McDonalds a few times a year when i was growing up in the 70's. We played outside, we didnt sit about watching all 4 channels of the tv or hover on computers. I blame technology has made ppl lazy and everyone wants a scape goat. I got fat because i LOVED mcdonalds, BK, pizza and indulged FREQUENTLY no one MADE me eat it. I did it because i was too tired to cook, or not enough time or energy to go shopping and quite frankly its freaking YUMMY DUDE! lol
  • cryptonyt
    cryptonyt Posts: 85 Member
    I totally agree with you. If a person wants to eat McDonald's, they can. They are free to make whatever choice they wish as far as their diet is concerned. I partake of McDonald's once in a while, and I will be honest, I have enjoyed it. But I also know the calorie count of what I ate, and I know that I will have to burn off those calories. Education as always is the key. All food aimed at kids has a kid friendly mascot. Its marketing. Just from the cereal aisle I can name Cap'n Crunch (who by the way reminds me of Cap'n Kangaroo, just sayin'), there's Lucky, the Trix rabbit, Fred Flintstone, Sam the Toucan, etc. I give my daughter some fattening food like McDonalds once in a while, but I also take her out on runs with me, and encourage her to play at the park with friends.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member

McDonald's has no more duty to "not feed them crap" than a bakery has a duty not to sell cupcakes, or a grocery store has to not sell candy bars. And McDonald's food doesn't make people fat -- overeating makes people fat. Someone can enjoy an occasional Big Mac and fries (if they like that stuff) and still be fit. I take my kids to McDonald's every once in a while for ice cream, and you know what I order? Nothing. And nobody in the restaurant tries to "feed me" anything. Health and fitness are about personal choices and personal responsibility.

Good for you!

I'm not saying people don't have a personal responsibility. I'm saying that if people go there, and take their children there, the food should be less processed and less calorie-laden. Have you actually researched into what is in their food?

WTF are you talking about? There are less calorific options on the menu IF PEOPLE CHOOSE, and the food isn't any more "processed" than any other food. :huh: :noway:
  • tanyaelise
    tanyaelise Posts: 28
    I think maybe you don't enjoy critically looking at problems. Which is fine, but McDonalds is part of the cheap fast food that is making people obese - it's unhealthy food that is cheap. They do have some duty towards their customers not to feed them crap. Yes, McDonalds existed when you were a kid. People became more and more obese during your lifetime so far.

Your comments about the Occupy Wall Street movements are similar.

It's possible to lose weight, but there's no known cure for conservatism/libertarianism/whatever it is that stops you seeing things in context. As Stephen Colbert pointed out, "Reality has a well-known liberal bias."

No, you're wrong. McD's ia a treat. Ice cream is a treat...candy is a treat. Blaming someone's lack of will power on the company that sold the product is childish and lazy. How about just saying "NO." Or maybe try to resist the urge to stop at the drive thru. By the way, McD's sells salads too and they're cheap. A head of lettuce can make a salad for a family of 4, it can be found next to the other cheap vegetables. Maybe we should ban Hersheys... or Mars... or Breyers... because people can't say NO to a treat. Because they are entitled to eat whatever they want with no consequence and decide that they have been sooooo good that they deserve several treats a day. If you want reasonable food... don't eat out. ITS A TREAT... not a way of survival.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    McDonalds existed when I was a kid too. And I'm 38 and British (McDs came to Britain much later than when it was founded in the USA)

Also I take my kids to McDonalds. I go to the ones with the big play areas. I think they burn more calories playing than they take in from their happy meals. They don't even finish their happy meals half the time anyway.

The obesity epidemic has more to do with activity levels than food - it's a combination of both because it's calories in v calories out, but what's changed over the past 50 years is that kids activity levels have declined drastically. When I was a kid I spent my whole life outdoors playing in the street (a cul-de-sac so no danger from traffic). We played outside in nearly all weathers too, I remember arguing with my parents that "it's not raining *that* hard, we don't need to come in" and the like (it was torrential rain lol). .............Nowadays kids are stuck in front of computer screens and TV screens way too long and people back then walked everywhere rather than travelling by car like we do now... I walked a mile and a half each way to get to school............ that's the main reason.... and nothing wrong with screen time in moderation, but kids should be playing active games and doing physical activities as well. The calorie intake of kids back in the day was high, kids ate full fat dairy, stodgy puddings with custard (like spotted ****) and animal fat and all kinds of things that are frowned upon nowadays... difference is that they played outdoors and walked to places a lot more. If you look at 50s comic/story books about schoolboys, there's the stereotypical fat asthmatic kid... why? because the asthma (back then there wasn't the medication to treat it) stopped him doing physical activity but he still ate the same food as the other kids. i.e. it was the high activity levels that was keeping the other children from becoming obese.

So while people are demonising this food and that food and the other food and depriving their kids of food that they enjoy, they're really missing the point which is that kids should be a lot more physically active and that would go a long way to curbing childhood obesity. My kids eat chocolate, ice cream, McDonalds, fried food, sweets and all sorts... they're not fat because they're active. (and yes they eat plenty of fruit, vegetables, meat, fish, etc too, but I don't have forbidden foods and they are active enough to burn off the calories in the sugary snacks they have sometimes).
  • AlyssaJoJo
    AlyssaJoJo Posts: 449 Member
    When I was a kid I had almost all my birthday parties at McDonalds. That's when all their mascots where a big deal and it was a blast. Guess what? We were poor, we ate McDonalds here and there, and I wasn't fat. And then I ended up working there as a teenager when I was at my lowest weight.

I didn't become overweight til my late teens. This was because I was thought that feelings = food. And I didn't become fat until I hit audlt hood. And again, because feelings = food and I was a big gamer that would sit for hours and hours drinking Mt Dew and eating frozen pizza.

McDonalds doesn't make anyone fat. People's choices do. My fattness has nothing to do with McDonalds due to the fact that I hardly ate there. (If I'm going to blame anything it's Taco Bells yummy late night menu back in the day) Yes it's cheap, but let's be honest, it's no longer the cheapest fast food out there. And if people have any sense then they know that grocery shopping in the end is cheaper. (We average anywhere between 50 cents to a dollar per meal/per serving) People go there because they are lazy - not because they are poor. I used to be VERY poor living off of foodstamps which meant this; I had foodstamps for groceries - I was too poor to get McDonalds.

Anywhere, anyplace can serve what they want. It's not their duty to do anything besides what they want to do. If they want to become a healthier place I applaud them. If they don't, then that's on them. It's OUR duty to know wtf is going in us. And to decide if we want that in us. And if we DON'T want that in us then we DON'T EAT THERE. Simple. As. That.

And if we really want to attach anyone it's our government. Who has horrible food regulations compared to some states/countries. But we are also eating better than some other states/counties.
  • amwbox
    amwbox Posts: 576 Member
    Actually, McDonalds in some countries do serve cheap and rather good salad, I'll say that for them. Customers have been kicking back. But they still have a responsibility to not make such heavily processed food, and customers should show them that by refusing to buy the more calorific products.

No. No. NO!

They are a business. They don't have any responsibility to do anything other than provide the product the customer wants. The customer shows McDonalds what they want every day by lining up in their millions to buy greasy fatty food.

McDonalds ignoring their customers and trying to sell carrot sticks or whatever would create some difficult answers for the shareholders.

You go to the store and buy health food if you want health food. If you want something greasy you go to fast food.

Don't blame anyone but yourself for what you choose to buy and consume...and especially feed to children.
  • PennyM140
    PennyM140 Posts: 423 Member
    People don't want to take responsibility for anything these days.
    McDonald's doesn't make people fat and guns don't kill people.
    Stupid people do stupid things and look for someone else to blame.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    I agree with you OP! McDonalds is almost never had by my kids simply for the reason that it is so bad for them. It is totally a special treat when we get them fast food. Yes fast food is cheap and easy but I would never feed it to my kids or myself regularly.

You give your kids a "treat" that is "so bad" for them? I'm sure they'll thank you later.
  • zumbalinda22
    zumbalinda22 Posts: 182 Member
    We could do a duet! I have the words to the McDonald's song forever emblazoned in my mind, too! At the risk of being tarred and feathered along with you, I have to say I agree. I've been around for 53 years, and I see a real change in most people's mindsets -" who can I blame for the problems in my life." I'm also not trying to be mean - just honest. And I'll admit sometimes I'm that way, too, though I don't want to be. We had McDonald's and other places when I was a kid, but they were a RARE treat! In fact, eating out period was a rare treat. I remember going out for dinner on my birthday once a year, and there was a Hardee's or something like that in upstate New York which we passed on our 8-hour ride to Oswego to visit friends, and stopping there was the ultimate treat of the summer! Not only did we get burgers and fries, but chocolate shakes!!! That was twice a year - once going up, and once returning home. Again, I'm not accusing anyone, but I think fast food has replaced homemade food in a lot of instances. What was once a "treat" is now an almost daily occurrence. And the majority of kids don't get the kind of exercise we did. Our parents yelled at us to go out and play. I rode my bike, jump-roped - did all kinds of things, including walking to and from school. (no, not 5 miles uphill in a snowstorm!!!!) I need a crowbar to get my teenage son out of his room and away from his xBox!! We weren't allowed to sit inside and do "nothing"!!! It's funny how all the advances in technology and "conveniences" seem to have made us more frazzled and out of time! You're correct, too - if we overeat, it was OUR OWN decision to do so. There IS no one else to blame. Guess it's time to grow up and accept responsibility for our choices! Again, no meanness intended, and if you have metabolic issues, that's a whole other story. I think we need to be more aware of the decisions we make regarding food and exercise.
  • rebeccawesterfield5
    rebeccawesterfield5 Posts: 132 Member

Exactly this ^^^
  • bennettinfinity
    bennettinfinity Posts: 865 Member
    I think maybe you don't enjoy critically looking at problems. Which is fine, but McDonalds is part of the cheap fast food that is making people obese - it's unhealthy food that is cheap. They do have some duty towards their customers not to feed them crap. Yes, McDonalds existed when you were a kid. People became more and more obese during your lifetime so far.

It's possible to lose weight, but there's no known cure for conservatism/libertarianism/whatever it is that stops you seeing things in context. As Stephen Colbert pointed out, "Reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Nobody forces you to eat fast food. Just saying

No, they don't force me. I don't eat fast food often, but when people are busy and they need access to a cheap meal, they go to places like McDonalds and other places. It's not a crime to want a cheap lunch. The places that purport to serve food have a responsibility to the people they serve.

Yes, everybody could pack their own lunch and all the restaurants could close down during lunch hour. But many people, many working people, eat out. The places where they eat should take some responsibility not to serve heavily processed, terrible food.

Companies have some responsibility to consumers. For example, they can't poison you. The next step is to ask them not to serve ridiculously processed crap to people. No, people don't have to eat it, but removing responsibility from the company is ridiculous. Or, to put it another way, Republican.

The OP apparently considers that the Occupy Wall Street movement "blamed big corporations for their plight in life and thus decided to go on a rampage to destroy private property." A complete lack of social consciousness.

It's not a crime to eat food out. Restaurants should serve reasonable food. It's not the 19th Century, 'buyer beware'.

Also, when kids go out, a lot of them go to places like this because it fits with their pocket money. McDonalds very directly marketed towards children, though I take the point of the poster above who says that it's less so today.

Could you enlighten me as to why you feel that McDonalds/Corporations bear more responsibility to me than I do for myself? Be specific.
  • KseRz
    KseRz Posts: 980 Member
    (I know some may be offended by this post since it is a very sensitive subject, but no offense or disrespect was intended)

There is an article in the Lexington Herald Leader about a local mom who, in my opinion, is hammering the McDonald’s corporation. She is comparing Ronald McDonald to Joe Camel (Camel Cigarettes) and again, in my opinion, making McDonald’s the scapegoat for overweight kids. Has anyone ever considered that maybe the reason we have so many overweight children is because we have so many overweight parents? McDonald’s existed when I was a kid. McDonald’s advertisement was very active when I was a kid. In the spur of the moment I can still rattle off the Big Mac song: “Two all-beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame bun.” No, I did not Google the song and haven’t heard the commercial in 30 or 40 some years. A Big Mac has 550 calories (I did Google that.) And Newsflash: In grade school we had one or two kids that would be considered obese and I personally knew of maybe a couple of parents that were quite overweight. In Jr. High (now Middle School) and High School the numbers went up, but nothing compared to the obesity problem we see in America today.

Adults and children are not overweight because of a silly looking clown and super sizing meals. They are overweight because they consume too many calories and are too inactive in their lives. What I really think is going on here is the Blame Game, people not taking personal responsibility for themselves. Last year it was the Wall Street Movement who blamed big corporations for their plight in life and thus decided to go on a rampage to destroy private property. It’s the Democrat Party’s fault our country is in such turmoil, says the Republicans, or is it the other way around? Last night I overdid it on Domino’s Pizza and will have to either eat less today or exercise a little more to make up for it. Whose fault was it that I ate too much last night: Domino’s Pizza or the fact that they have delivery service? Or should I blame my wife since she ordered the pizza on a whim? I’m not stupid, no way am I going to blame her.

Maybe it’s time we started up an AA group, you know, and call it Adult’s Anonymous. And I’ll begin. “Hi, I’m Ernie and I’m an adult responsible for my own behavior and actions.”

THE BLAME GAME:

I can’t help losing my temper, nor control my appetite.
    I get so mad at mom and dad and blame them for my plight.
    I may not be successful, I’m a failure, yes, it’s true.
    But if society has taught me anything, it’s all because of you.

If only my spouse would listen, if only my spouse would change,
    If only the world would accommodate me, is that so terribly strange?
    If only this, if only that, if only you could see,
    I’m not selfish or self-centered, I just want you to please me.

So I went to see my psychiatrist, to see what she would say,
    To find the reason why so many folks just don’t see things my way.
    The secret, she said, is simple, why you’re always under assault.
    It has nothing to do with you, it’s true, it’s always someone else’s fault.

So now my friend, before I end, before I cease to complain,
    Before you start pointing the finger and think that I am vain.
    The answer is so obvious, and I think it’s time you knew,
    I now know why I’m so miserable, it’s all because of you

The naive believes everything, But the sensible person considers his/her steps.

1235219_10203481625308742_2135662143985682673_n.jpg
  • kirili3
    kirili3 Posts: 244 Member

Good for you!

WTF are you talking about? There are less calorific options on the menu IF PEOPLE CHOOSE, and the food isn't any more "processed" than any other food. :huh: :noway:

... Do some research. People have made whole documentaries!
  • amwbox
    BRAVO OP!!!!

Whatever happened to people taking responsibility for their situation? In this case we are responsible for what we put into our bodies. We have a choice and no one if forcing them to eat those super sized meals. You can eat cheaply at MCD or any other fast food restaurant and stay within and below your calories.

We as Americans always want to place the blame for our issues on someone or something else when we sometimes need ot simply look in the mirror. And before anyone jumps on me, I know there are cases where there are definitely outside causes for the situations we find ourselves in. This is not one of those cases though.

Exactly. Don't blame the spoon for that empty tub of ice cream. And don't blame Ben or Jerry. Blame he who wields the spoon.
  • sturgill
    sturgill Posts: 118
    I love this post- it is all true. people need to take responsibility for themselves.
  • rollng_thundr
    rollng_thundr Posts: 634 Member

But if McD's customers didn't WANT that food they wouldn't serve it!
    The only reason they make burgers and fries like that is because CUSTOMERS WANT IT!

I think another big change in our lifestyle is partially to blame for the obesity epidemic - ELECTRONICS!

I'm 51 and when I grew up we didn't have Video Games, Home PC's, and the internet.
    We were TOLD TO GO OUTSIDE AND PLAY.

I didn't have a car till I was 18 or older, so I either WALKED or BICYCLED to go places.
    I got off my BUTT AND MOVED!

I live in a small community (subdivision) where the entrance is less than a mile from the furthest house and yet the parents all park their cars at the entrance to pick up there spoiled little brats from the Junior High and High school busses!
    Their poor kids can't be expected to walk a few hundred yards to their houses - and it's always the same cars doing it!

It is a learned behavior - so now the kids DEMAND to not walk anywhere!
    It's this lack of exercise and easily obtainable crappy food that is doing it - and NOBODY IS FORCING THEM TO EAT IT!

I'm 51 and FAT - and it is MY FAULT - because I at loads of Pizza, McDonalds, Wendy's, etc when I got out of the Air Force.
    And I do NOT blame McDonalds, Wendy's, and other fast food places I BLAME MYSELF!

Its time that Americans quit passing the buck and take the blame individually!!

Dave

Werd.....
  • amwbox

... Do some research. People have made whole documentaries!

To be fair...docs are mostly utter BS.