eric_sg61
eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
Some will like this, some won't. It is what it is

http://www.t-nation.com/training/10-mistakes-women-make-in-the-gym

Replies

• fitness_faeiry
    fitness_faeiry Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Great article. No. 1 is the one I’m still trying to get over. I always fear this. Especially with a boyfriend who makes remarks like “Stop trying to be the hulk” Whereas every Male Personal Trainer I have spoken to recently has encouraged me to go into the free weights section and lift weights.
  • dt3312
    dt3312 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Great article. Thanks. I notice at the 3 gyms I go to, most of the women spend the great majority if not all of their work out on the cardio machines.
    I am a female senior citizen.
  • vegasslacker
    vegasslacker Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Great article! It's spot on
  • ChasingMyBliss
    ChasingMyBliss Posts: 803 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting the article. I found it amusing and informative. I plan to poke around the TNation site and see if I can find some other helpful info.
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,716 Member
    Options
    Some will like this, some won't. It is what it is

http://www.t-nation.com/training/10-mistakes-women-make-in-the-gym

Love it. :drinker:
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,716 Member
    Options
    Great article. No. 1 is the one I’m still trying to get over. I always fear this. Especially with a boyfriend who makes remarks like “Stop trying to be the hulk” Whereas every Male Personal Trainer I have spoken to recently has encouraged me to go into the free weights section and lift weights.

Does your boyfriend work out? Does he know how hard it is to build muscle....especially for women?
  • k_nicole87
    k_nicole87 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    LOVE!
  • MissHolidayGolightly
    MissHolidayGolightly Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    The "absession" one is so true as is "tricep-session". It's like men and the "armsession" doing a million different versions of the bicep curl.

I also often see a lot of women doing these overly-complicated workouts when they do use freeweights instead of the more basic compound lifts. The article touched on this with the BOSU ball part. I saw one the other day get into position to do a lunge with the hind leg elevated but instead of doing a lunge, she twisted her arm to touch the outside of her foreward foot several times. I was on edge waiting for her to faceplant and/or pop her knee out of joint.
  • annie61702
    annie61702 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Really interesting! Thanks for posting!
  • DymonNdaRgh40
    DymonNdaRgh40 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Interesting read and a lot of truth!
  • slk_5555
    slk_5555 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    At my last gym, one of the trainers there developed me a workout program with all sorts of weight & resistance exercises (all of which I was familiar with), but he wanted me to do them whilst balancing on a swiss ball. My balance is dreadful, so after 1 failed attempt, I assumed he was taking the p**s & ignored him. Its not easy feeling confident in the gym, whilst rolling around the place like a drunk woman:-)

He was also keen to have me perform exercises with my legs strapped behind me in some kind of harness. Why do some instructors feel the need to complicate women's exercises & make us look like complete morons. I felt like he was giving me the lead role in his freak show.
  • fitness_faeiry
    fitness_faeiry Posts: 354 Member
    Options

Does your boyfriend work out? Does he know how hard it is to build muscle....especially for women?

He does but not as much as me. Maybe I make him feel guilty.I think he does realise how hard it is, he's just being a d***
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Read that this morning. :heart:
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Hm, the only one I'm not sure of is that you have to change up your routine every 4-6 weeks. Seems like a relatively short time to work with a program, especially if you're making good gains. I did strong lifts for a little over a year, and I was definitely mentally burned out on it at that point, but I did have some really great progress (as long as I pushed myself; when my brain got tired of the lifts, I found I easily stagnated).
  • MissHolidayGolightly
    MissHolidayGolightly Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    At my last gym, one of the trainers there developed me a workout program with all sorts of weight & resistance exercises (all of which I was familiar with), but he wanted me to do them whilst balancing on a swiss ball. My balance is dreadful, so after 1 failed attempt, I assumed he was taking the p**s & ignored him. Its not easy feeling confident in the gym, whilst rolling around the place like a drunk woman:-)

He was also keen to have me perform exercises with my legs strapped behind me in some kind of harness. Why do some instructors feel the need to complicate women's exercises & make us look like complete morons. I felt like he was giving me the lead role in his freak show.

Exactly what I'm talking about! I see no reason for doing these crazy movements that are so difficult and embarassing. Just lift normally.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    :drinker:
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

TRX??

men do that as well- it's a great work out.

while I agree sometimes doing weird things just for the sake of doing a weird thing is over rated- but I can promise you- you won't keep paying someone to do a 5 x 5 lifting program- you will quickly figure out you can do it on your own- and he'll lose revenue.

Sometimes it isn't about you as much as you think.

And sometimes you need to do things that make you feel uncomfortable- I know I never trained anyone without having run the program myself... and let me tell you- if I wasn't willing to do it- I wasn't going to ask a client to do it. But I am willing to do the some weird things- it's okay- it's nice to do a different exercise to challenge your balance and your brain. That's good for you.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    I thought #10 was kind of interesting...
    10. Juicing
    No, not juicing as in steroids. I'm talking about the plastic cups of pulverized, Osterized, barely palatable concoctions of kale, seaweed, wheat grass, and whatever other obscure vegetables or fruits the juicer is able to buy at a discount that so many women have permanently affixed to their hands when they walk into the gym.

I know it seems contrary, even heretical, to suggest you stop or limit your consumption of these drinks, but hear me out. Vegetables and fruits contain simple sugars and more complex, harder-to-digest carbs. No problem there. However, when you blend up fruits and vegetables, you're breaking down all those normally hard-to-digest carbs into infinitesimally small pieces. Drink that stuff down and you're virtually bypassing much of the digestive process. All those sugars are presented to your bloodstream like flowers to your momma on Mother's Day. They get absorbed super quick, and your pancreas releases a surge of insulin to counteract all that sugar. It's virtually the same effect you'd get from shot-gunning a 24-ounce 7-11 Slurpie.

Insulin shuttles off some of the sugar to muscle cells and the rest are stored (in the liver or as body fat), but then insulin levels dip below baseline and you get hungry again pretty fast. If you give in to that hunger, you're ingesting more calories than you might normally have and extra, unnecessary calories get stored as fat. What's more, if you do the juice thing often enough, you may actually develop some insulin resistance, which is the first step down the path to Type II diabetes.

There's one more thing to consider, too. You probably wouldn't be able to eat all the fruits and vegetables that are in a typical fruit or vegetable smoothie if they were sitting there on a plate. They'd take up too much room in your stomach and even all that Spandex in your Lululemon pants wouldn't be able to flatten out your belly. However, pulverize all those fruits and vegetables down into primordial ooze and they, and all the calories they contain, fit in your stomach just fine. Juicing allows you to eat more than you normally could, which is never really good if you're trying to keep tabs on your body fat levels.

I'm not suggesting that you give up all juices. Drink them in moderation, eat them in their un-pulverized, natural state, or simply employ one simple trick: just have the juice junction, jamboree, or whatever add a scoop of protein (whey or casein) to your drink. The protein will ameliorate the big insulin surge, not to mention giving your muscles some extra building blocks.

I wonder how accurate this is... it sounds accurate, and totally worth further investigation.

oh... and... seeing as I apparently lives in the Slurpee capital of the universe... it's spelled SLURPEE :laugh:
  • spicegeek
    spicegeek Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    The "absession" one is so true as is "tricep-session".

so true !
  • slk_5555
    slk_5555 Posts: 177 Member
    Options

TRX??

men do that as well- it's a great work out.

while I agree sometimes doing weird things just for the sake of doing a weird thing is over rated- but I can promise you- you won't keep paying someone to do a 5 x 5 lifting program- you will quickly figure out you can do it on your own- and he'll lose revenue.

Sometimes it isn't about you as much as you think.

And sometimes you need to do things that make you feel uncomfortable- I know I never trained anyone without having run the program myself... and let me tell you- if I wasn't willing to do it- I wasn't going to ask a client to do it. But I am willing to do the some weird things- it's okay- it's nice to do a different exercise to challenge your balance and your brain. That's good for you.

Yes, TRX...sorry I couldn't remember the name. It was over in the 'womens weight section' so I never saw any of the guys on it. I certainly wasn't paying the guy - it was part of the gym membership that they give you a health assessment & write you a program.

Previous to that I was doing resistance & free weights - increasing the weights as I gained strength. I generally found the simple exercises were most effective (squats, lunges, planks etc) - I really enjoyed it & kept pushing myself. It just felt like at this new gym, he was trying to use every piece of equipment he could think of. I am willing to give most things a try, but I just didn't feel any extra benefit from some of the combos he had me doing. I felt I was focusing so much on balance and less on the actual exercise.

Maybe I was doing it wrong. He wanted me to do press ups with my legs on a swiss ball - I couldn't even balance let alone do a single press up - its was comical. Also dumbbell flyes on a swiss ball - rather than a flat bench - I managed that ok, but not sure i gained anything with the modified version. Do you think these exercises should have done more for me?