A question for the Ladies

Options

Replies

• sarainiowa
    sarainiowa Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    No excuses. Excuses become a slippery slope to not reaching goals. Can't workout for periods, cramps, headaches, heart breaks, worked to late, kid was sick and on it goes. There's no excuses.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    I don't use anything as an excuse to reach my goals. Women have been having periods for centuries. Make room for your cravings and you won't go over.

THIS ^^^ All day long.
    ( I'm past that now, but I'd feel so pain wracked and nauseous during that time I would usually eat very little. The only "cravings" I got were for pain killers, NOT food of any sort.)
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    The day I stopped having excuses was the day I started seeing results.

^^This. Excuses (I had one for every/any occasion) got me where I'm at. Every (except for those who don't) woman "deals" with this, since the dawn of time. I just said one day, "Enough." Done with the lame &ss excuses. Now, I will set a "buffer," meaning my usual 100-200 kcal snack may be replaced by a carefully measured junk food snack (mmm, I LOVE potato chips), but I will maintain my calorie deficit appropriately.
  • ethompso0105
    ethompso0105 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Oh, I most definitely use it as an excuse. I have endometriosis so my periods are especially painful. I still try to eat healthy (chocolate and strawberries, anyone? Haha) but I definitely don't exercise. It sucks because it's like a week lost in regards to exercise, but I literally can't because of the pain. Hope no one has to relate to this!

I'm with you. I don't have diagnosed endometriosis, but it's suspected that I may. I hurt FAR too much during my TOM to work out, or even walk, typically. I try to be good with my food choices, but some days that just doesn't happen. I always try to remind myself, though, that if I go over for a day or two, I need to work hard to make up for that down the line.

I wish I had the willpower most of these other women have!!!
  • kmash32
    kmash32 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I usually know I am going to go over a little on the first two days, so I exercise more the rest of the week to make up for it and I am good. But I don't tell myself that "oh it is that time of the month, just eat what you want", I will listen to my body though and if it really wants a chocolate chip cookie and I can't fit it in that day I will probably still have it just make up for it over the next few days.
  • shanesemathis
    shanesemathis Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Believe it or not, exercising actually HELPS with the cramps! My main form of exercise is ZUMBA, so it not only distracts my mind from the cramps but also gets all of the blood circulating throughout my body to the point where I don't really feel the crams when I'm dancing. It is better to get up and get distracted from your period by a really good workout (AND burn those extra calories) than to sit the whole day and wallow in the pain of your cramps and eat treats. Furthermore, if you workout during your period, you can afford to have a little treat during the that week without wrecking your diet.
  • brookemart81
    brookemart81 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I sympathize. I get super hungry- I could just eat all day. And while of course I still have the ability to control myself- we all do- I find that my willpower is really weak just before and in the first few days of my period. It's suddenly 1000 times harder for me to get myself to do or not do things. Even for stuff that isn't related to food cravings or not wanting to exercise- I feel tired, painful, foggy and unmotivated- I have difficulty focusing on work, difficulty paying attention, and difficulty managing my impulses and emotions. I think some of us may just be more sensitive to hormonal changes.

That said, it's not an excuse- like others have mentioned already, it's GONNA happen every month, so you need to figure out how to manage it. It's hard but it's not impossible.

Things I've done to keep myself on track foodwise:

-planning out small treats throughout the day to keep snacking urges satisfied.

-not keeping a lot of junk food in the house! The tiredness will trump the craving most of the time, so I if I have to make a trip out to get a snack it's easier for me to stop myself.

-giving myself one day where I don't worry so much about going over my calories. I still log everything so I am aware of what I'm eating and I can keep it from getting out of hand. Sometimes you will feel better if you just let yourself have what you are craving. You can balance it out by eating better the rest of the week. You could even eat at maintenance for those few days a month your body is demanding more food- you're not going to gain from it and even if you didn't make it up later it's not going to make a huge difference overall. It's all about balance.
  • FitnessLover001
    FitnessLover001 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    No no no no no! Haha, this is when you have to push yourself the hardest because it's the time that you want to have an excuse to not workout. Try to stick to your healthy eating habits, but if you want, let the resistance off of the machines a little bit, but make sure you are still sweating! Trust me, I hate the time of month, but it only lasts a week, so just bear through it. Be strong, we are girls, we are not the weaker sex, that would be the fellas :)
  • marisarinde
    marisarinde Posts: 54
    Options
    ethompso0105 aw I'm so sorry! It sucks *kitten*, I wish no one had to deal with it. I'm having a laparoscopy in a couple weeks, so I know I definitely won't be able to exercise then. Not looking forward to it! I'm trying to work hard now in anticipation of my period next week and well as the procedure two weeks after. No bueno :( hope you feel better soon! And I agree, I wish I could work as hard as these other ladies all the time!
  • kittykat1994
    kittykat1994 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I eat maintenance, sometimes for a couple of days if the cravings are bad. I plan my meals to my usual calorie goal, but if I crave peanut butter, ice-cream or chocolate at that time of the month, then I have about 500 calories to help satisfy my cravings. It's worked for me the last month.
  • uglycrying
    uglycrying Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I don't make excuses, I make decisions. If I make the decision to cater to my cravings, I do. I also accept the consequences of that decision.
    Yep.

The concept of bending over backwards trying to find an excuse to eat something is strange to me. If I want something, I'll typically have it while being realistic about the consequences. I usually set aside some calories for something sweet. There are some days, not just period days, where I eat at maintenance and I can live with that... doing so hasn't been holding me back at all, at least not to a degree I care about. Though I try not to exceed maintenance. I've never really bought into the stereotypes surrounding periods... I find that the pain and water retention/bloating are real though.

I don't exercise on the first day as the pain is too much. If you exercise most days and can anticipate when yours will start, why not arrange it so the first day lands on a rest day?
  • DotPett
    DotPett Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Having that right now, and frankly it sucks! Still try to eat sensibly and get plenty of protein. Drink lots of water. Exercise when you can.
  • runningagainstmyself
    runningagainstmyself Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    Only if there is legitimate need. If I am feeling weak, bloated, or any of the usual symptoms I will eat some iron-rich foods and get a little extra protein. However, I do not use it as an excuse to eat a pint of ice cream (in case that was where your questions was heading). :)

Drink lots of liquids, too. I find hot tea helps make nearly every TOM-related issue better.
  • Sora4ever
    Sora4ever Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Usually the first two days are really tough for me because I'm super bloated and cramped up, and I tend to crave chocolate and sushi before and during my period. My appetite tends to change as well. Sometimes, it feels like I'm always starving no matter what I eat, and other times, I never feel hungry.

My best advise is don't starve yourself. Satisfy your cravings but also remember portion sizes.
  • paymentm
    paymentm Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    When you are feeling crampy that is the time to exercise. Walking, stretching, yoga anything to get that area moving will lessen the cramps and distract you from cravings.
  • segastler
    segastler Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I usually end up losing during that time because I throw up for the first 3 days and the last 4 days I have intense vomiting of the butt. I still work out, but I usually gain some back after its over because I actually eat.
  • rubbie78
    rubbie78 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I still try to stay in my calories and work out. My workout may be at 75% instead of 110% that week but I get it in. I actually feel better physically with the workout and definitely lose a pound or more after. My first period on here I CRIED on Day 1 and 2. Yes cried. I had gained 4lbs with the bloating and water retention. 4 days later 3lbs dropped off, then another 2 days 2lbs came off. So I was 1lb lighter.

I would say maybe not weigh yourself during the beginning of your cycle if you're emotional like me, but definitely try to keep to your workout and calories. I do allow myself more salty foods during this time within my calorie limit. that's my craving popcorn and baked chips.
  • QueenE_
    QueenE_ Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot during that time, no shame here..
  • augustah
    augustah Posts: 9
    Options
    I try my best to stick to my plan but if I am going absolutely crazy, I will just eat at maintenance for a day which I count as 2100 for me. And I skip the gym.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    I don't allow excuses to get in my way. I plan ahead of time for those days. There isn't anything wrong with eating at your maintenance level for a few days but I will not blow my deficiency or maintenance levels for something that I know I will have to deal with each month.