Any way around eating exercise calories back?!?!

13»

Replies

• corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Instead of eating half of them back, try eating them all back. Even though your calorie budget looks high, you're still shorting your body 650 calories, which if done every day is trying to get your body to drop more than a pound a week on top of what you're already set to lose. It makes all too much sense that you're getting backlash.

Exercising heavily with a sensible calorie deficit creates numbers that don't look anything like a diet of the month. That's the entire point of doing it.
  • ksy1969
    ksy1969 Posts: 700 Member
    @ OP: Really? 900 cals on WW? NO way!!! I've lost 40 lbs 6 years ago following that program and I still do, and I always ate the WP ( that you are suppose/encourage to) + my AP (optional) best part I've been maintaining for 6 years... If fruits/veggies are 0 pts + GHG's (protein, dairy, oil, etc, etc) how can you keep it under 1,000? I track my cals also and consume more like 1,600 + or -exercise included! WW is NOT a diet ;)

Weight watchers gave me 21 lbs to start (old plan) and eventually got me down to 19. When tracking them side by side with mfp a few months ago I'd be at my 19 points but mfp would only show 950 calories-1000

I call BS on the OP as well. I did WW for 18 months before I decided I wanted to understand the calorie and macro nutrients better, plus I didn't want to keep paying the monthly fee. Your initial points may have equated out to 950 calories but you also had approximately 1800 to 2250 calories worth of what they called Weekly Points (WP) to use, depending on who you talked to, and you were encouraged to use them. You were also supposed to eat at least 5 servings of fruit and vegetables a day that they called 0 points but they were calorie laden as well. A single banana or apple can easily be 100 calories. So lets say, conservatively, if you ate all 5 servings and at least two of them were fruit, you could easily have another 250-300 calories of fruit and vegetables a day. Then divide that weekly point allowance by 7 days, that is approximately 285 calories a day. By my calculations that is 1500 calories a day. And that is if you don't eat a lot of high calorie fruit. If you eat a lot of green vegetables then I guess, maybe you could be around 1300 to 1400 calories a day.

None of that calculation factored in Activitiy Points or AP's. You earned these AP's based on your exercise. Just like MFP wants you to eat back your exercise calories burned WW did as well.

And that is the lowest a female could get. So you were not following the program properly.
  • nicolemontagna22
    nicolemontagna22 Posts: 229 Member
    @ OP: Really? 900 cals on WW? NO way!!! I've lost 40 lbs 6 years ago following that program and I still do, and I always ate the WP ( that you are suppose/encourage to) + my AP (optional) best part I've been maintaining for 6 years... If fruits/veggies are 0 pts + GHG's (protein, dairy, oil, etc, etc) how can you keep it under 1,000? I track my cals also and consume more like 1,600 + or -exercise included! WW is NOT a diet ;)

Weight watchers gave me 21 lbs to start (old plan) and eventually got me down to 19. When tracking them side by side with mfp a few months ago I'd be at my 19 points but mfp would only show 950 calories-1000

I call BS on the OP as well. I did WW for 18 months before I decided I wanted to understand the calorie and macro nutrients better, plus I didn't want to keep paying the monthly fee. Your initial points may have equated out to 950 calories but you also had approximately 1800 to 2250 calories worth of what they called Weekly Points (WP) to use, depending on who you talked to, and you were encouraged to use them. You were also supposed to eat at least 5 servings of fruit and vegetables a day that they called 0 points but they were calorie laden as well. A single banana or apple can easily be 100 calories. So lets say, conservatively, if you ate all 5 servings and at least two of them were fruit, you could easily have another 250-300 calories of fruit and vegetables a day. Then divide that weekly point allowance by 7 days, that is approximately 285 calories a day. By my calculations that is 1500 calories a day. And that is if you don't eat a lot of high calorie fruit. If you eat a lot of green vegetables then I guess, maybe you could be around 1300 to 1400 calories a day.

None of that calculation factored in Activitiy Points or AP's. You earned these AP's based on your exercise. Just like MFP wants you to eat back your exercise calories burned WW did as well.

And that is the lowest a female could get. So you were not following the program properly.

When I signed up It was still the old plan. I didn't go to meeting just did it online. Probably should have went to meeting because the people online were telling me eating the weekly an activity points was optional and you'd lose less weight if you did. The way your explaining it makes a lot more sense. Too bad I didn't realize that before putting my body through hell all that time :/
  • RedRider230
    RedRider230 Posts: 89 Member
    Simply put- if you're eating above your BMR and below your TDEE, you should NOT eat back exercise calories. So find those out - here's a link iifym.com/tdee-calculator/ - and adjust your daily calories accordingly.

That is giving me Bmr of 1397 (87 higher than the 1310 I've been doing and tdee of 2043. I'd probably be sick if I ate that much lol. At 1310 I was trying hard to make it to that number each day.

If you do it, it'll work better than what you're doing now (which isn't working for you which is why you started this thread) So, either you try it for at LEAST 4 weeks to see if you get any positive results, or you keep doing what you're doing and know for a fact you will continue to stall on your weight loss. The decision is yours, we're just giving you helpful ways that work for us and many others here on MFP.

Good day :flowerforyou:

I agree! I was stalled too and after research and reading these forums I upped my calories to 1440 per day. Depending on the day I may or may not eat part of the exercise calories back. I've been losing weight every since and I find it much easier to manage!