Thinning Oily hair? Help/Advice?

Options
2»

Replies

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    First of all, check with a dermatologist and your regular physician to check for underlying hormone and skin issues.

Second, wash your hair with the gentlest non sulphate shampoo you can find and try to not do it very often (no more than every other day and try for 2 times a week). Avalon organics have some really nice ones. Oil production, if not hormonal, is usually because you are stripping your hair of its natural oils so the glands go into overproduction in order to recover. Also, stay away from hair products that have silicone (look for ingredients that have 'cone or 'oxane at the end of the name) These coat the hair and require harsh surfactants like the sulphates to remove. Using baking soda to wash and vinegar or citric acid to balance the pH is often too harsh for some people. Personally, I wash with conditioner only. I make it myself and it has a cationic surfactant that gently cleanses as well as conditions, plus a couple of hair friendly oils (argan and camellia seed) for additional moisturizing. Many who do conditioner only washing have good luck with cheap grocery store brands like Suave and VO5.

One more thing, are you getting enough fat and protein in your diet? A lack of these can often lead to thinning hair as I discovered one other time I went on a weight loss program for a couple of months. I lost almost half of my hair volume and only got about half of the loss back after improving my diet. This time I am making sure I get enough of those macros in.
  • sissiluv
    sissiluv Posts: 2,205 Member
    Options
    I lost a LOT of hair thats just now growing back due to stress and hypothyroidism in 2012. Definitely get your levels tested.
    My cousin lost her hair once and suggested I use cocounut oil. I haven't yet because it's fairly expensive but she swears by it.
  • occupysmithmachine
    Options
    My hair's been thinning for 7 months after losing a bit of weight. Turns out I have anaemia.