cardio+core work+deficit = flat tummy?

Options
13»

Replies

• dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    That's you though. Look at my av.. I'm not afraid of weights, I'm squatting my body weight. I just don't do weighted abs (particularly the Russian twists) because they made my waist larger even though I had lost fat there. Nothing wrong with a medicine ball if that's what you meant but picking up a 25lb plate and doing abs is a different story. That is what I pictured when you said weighted abs. Maybe you can clarify what you recommend.
  • kcmcd
    kcmcd Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    And some genetics. I don't carry fat in my stomach. Neither does my sister. We both have <26" waists. The difference between hers (no exercise) and mine (exercise) is how much muscle you can see. I know lots of women with lower over-all body fat, and lower weight, who are generally smaller-all-around - and my stomach is just flatter... because it is.

Not to say it's impossible. Just for some people it's easier and some it's harder. Like anything else. And because I didn't have to work THAT hard for a flat stomach I discount it and eat my heart out over other people's long, shapely legs while cursing my short, thick, knock-kneed, cart-pushing German peasant legs.
  • ana_lalic
    ana_lalic Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!
    I am too one of those people who are triing to get a flat tummy. I have body fat precentage of 22% but my stomach doesn't seem to get flat no matter how much i eat or exercise and the rest of my body is nice and toned. What advice can you give me to get rid of the pooch on my stomach?

Thanks.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    That's you though. Look at my av.. I'm not afraid of weights, I'm squatting my body weight. I just don't do weighted abs (particularly the Russian twists) because they made my waist larger even though I had lost fat there. Nothing wrong with a medicine ball if that's what you meant but picking up a 25lb plate and doing abs is a different story. That is what I pictured when you said weighted abs. Maybe you can clarify what you recommend.

Agree that everyone is different, but for most women, it is VERY hard to build muscle. Hypertrophy happens in the 8-15ish rep zone, not in the 50 rep zone. It is worthless to do 50 sit ups when the look most want will happen if they add enough weight that the last couple reps in the 8-15 zone is difficult. As far as what I do weight wise with my abs, it's again about how much I can do with good form in the 8-15 rep range. As far Oblique work such as Russian Twists, Cable Oblique Crunch, etc., and the weight I use, usually it's a 25 plate for GHD Russian Twists and 70lbs for Cable Oblique Crunches so yes, I go heavy. And yes, that's what works best for ME.
  • quest67
    quest67 Posts: 94
    Options
    Hi everyone!
    I am too one of those people who are triing to get a flat tummy. I have body fat precentage of 22% but my stomach doesn't seem to get flat no matter how much i eat or exercise and the rest of my body is nice and toned. What advice can you give me to get rid of the pooch on my stomach?

Thanks.

Same with me! I feel if I loose anymore I'll be a skeleton with a pooch!! Can someone help please?
  • jardimgirl
    jardimgirl Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Omg I'm in the exact situation! It sucks!!!
  • quest67
    quest67 Posts: 94
    Options
    Bump for read
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    flat tummy=calorie deficit.

That's it...

Tell that to my PCOS. :p

As a general rule though, yes. But as someone whose BMI is down to 20.5 and still has a disproportionate amount of belly fat, I so wish it were always that simple. I could just keep eating at a deficit indefinitely and let the rest of my body get scarecrow-like while my belly slooooooowly shrinks.

Overall though, there's a lot of good advice in this thread. Hoping to see some progress as I start lifting more.
  • spamantha57
    spamantha57 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Cardio, I find HITT is pretty effective. I like using the elliptical, but circuit training & HIIT kicks your butt.
    Yes, lots of core exercises. But yes - other muscle group exercises too. You'll burn more calories throughout the day (hence burning more fat) when you strength train & have more muscle. Legs are great for this. Back is important too for your posture & the opposing side of your abs.
    Eating at a deficit and eating foods that don't make you bloated. For a lot of people this may mean low sodium & wheat, but everyone is different.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    flat tummy =/= defined core.

I don't have a flat stomach because of posture basically. (excessive anterior pelvic tilt).

If you do some core exercises with progressively increasing tension you can build some abs but you are unlikely to do this while in calorie deficit. It's still a good idea to do some heavier (lower rep) stuff to preserve what you have though.

In summary,
    cal deficit
    lift heavy (for you)
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    flat tummy=calorie deficit.

That's it...

Tell that to my PCOS. :p

As a general rule though, yes. But as someone whose BMI is down to 20.5 and still has a disproportionate amount of belly fat, I so wish it were always that simple. I could just keep eating at a deficit indefinitely and let the rest of my body get scarecrow-like while my belly slooooooowly shrinks.

Overall though, there's a lot of good advice in this thread. Hoping to see some progress as I start lifting more.

BMI is irrelevant...
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    this might help:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1161603-so-you-want-a-nice-stomach?hl=so+you+want+a+nice+stomach

ETA: the thread linked seems to be posting funny on my end, no idea why, but the OP, she is something of an expert on flat tummies.
  • fitness_faeiry
    fitness_faeiry Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    What about amount of sugar consumption? What are peoples opinions on this?

Do you think it is better to eat, say a deficit of 1500 calories of various foods keeping sugars low OR
    same calories that include more sugars from various sources in there?

Would this affect the fat burning process? I am curious?
  • jardimgirl
    jardimgirl Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    What about amount of sugar consumption? What are peoples opinions on this?

Do you think it is better to eat, say a deficit of 1500 calories of various foods keeping sugars low OR
    same calories that include more sugars from various sources in there?

Would this affect the fat burning process? I am curious?

Good question