Gym confessions...

Options

Replies

• Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty much nice to everyone at my gym and I've never gone without a spotter because of it. In fact, I let some old guy put weights on my bar yesterday before I did my deadlifts. Well, he volunteered.
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options
    I splash people on purpose while I swim - if they are idiots.

Idiots in the pool could be a thread of its own.

I will suddenly switch my swim workouts to something intimidating to newbies if I see someone looking for a lane and I don't want to share.

What qualifies as "something intimidating?" I need to try that.

Butterfly sprints will usually do the trick as long as you don't take too much rest.

Ugh. Unfortunately, I always have to take lots of rest between my butterfly laps!

Then do a hard kick set with lots of splashing. Just make sure you look really intense when you do it,

Ok, that I can do. LOL
  • the_great_beyond_
    the_great_beyond_ Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Most women who think guys are going to creep @ them don't realize two things:

1. Theyre not as attractive as they think
    2. Headphones don't stop creeps. They're going to do the same thing anyway.
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    When running on the treadmill, I have to clinch my butt cheeks hard to prevent cutting muffins.

My gym is at work, and there have been a few times where I could not tell if I let out a loud one since my headphones were on.
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options

lol. i think both of those are actually pretty accurate.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    I never wear headphones to the gym as they get in the way and I see no need to cut myself off from humanity. It's funny, all the really fit people in my gym smile, chat with each other, and enjoy their workouts. Not a day goes by where someone doesn't walk up to me, call me by name, and say "hi." I'm much more impressed by a heavy squat than a sour attitude.
  • Derp_Diggler
    Derp_Diggler Posts: 1,456 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty much nice to everyone at my gym and I've never gone without a spotter because of it. In fact, I let some old guy put weights on my bar yesterday before I did my deadlifts. Well, he volunteered.

I'm only two years older than you. That's the last time I help you at the gym .\ /.
  • kk_140
    kk_140 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I never wear headphones to the gym as they get in the way and I see no need to cut myself off from humanity. It's funny, all the really fit people in my gym smile, chat with each other, and enjoy their workouts. Not a day goes by where someone doesn't walk up to me, call me by name, and say "hi." I'm much more impressed by a heavy squat than a sour attitude.

Right? Also what is with everyone hating people at the gym? I love it when people are friendly and smile and say hello
  • SunofaBeach14
    Options

Right? Also what is with everyone hating people at the gym? I love it when people are friendly and smile and say hello

It's the everyone is so mean/creepers!/stranger danger crowd. I don't know how they get through life without blowing a gasket.
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options

I'm only two years older than you. That's the last time I help you at the gym .\ /.

You volunteered, and it was appreciated. Also, I like watching you bend over.
  • michellemybelll
    Options

a lot of it has to do with social anxiety, for me. and just wanting to get in and out. i'm not trying to impress anyone, with or without an attitude. i just want to be left alone.
  • michellemybelll
    Options

It's the everyone is so mean/creepers!/stranger danger crowd. I don't know how they get through life without blowing a gasket.
    that's a very inaccurate statement.
  • fannyfrost
    fannyfrost Posts: 756 Member
    Options

Oh this is so true, especially about headphones. I am lucky at my gym, no one bothers me, but I am not exactly the approachable type.

I am angry girl and for the most part people don't talk to me. I did have a crazy lady from my building in the building gym talk to me all the time. OMG. I mean at first it was OK, but this woman is addicted to exercise and really crazy. She barely knows me and tells me she had sex 7 times in her life and she thinks she is pregnant. I hide, I don't see her for a year. I see her in the gym again and the first thing she says, after a year "I was pregnant and I had an abortion" OMG, I am not your confidant or your best friend. I don't go to the building gym any more. FYI, I was wearing headphones, but she talked to me anyway.
  • wardamnirish
    wardamnirish Posts: 395
    Options

Nothing wrong with smiling and saying hello. I don't care to have someone talk my ear off when I'm trying to work out, and they will all the time if I don't shut down the conversation quickly. Apparently I'm interesting or something.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options

I'm super friendly, always say hi and smile at people but have to don the headphones for the workout because I just can't get through it without the tunes! Music is the only thing that stops me from walking out 3 mins in, LOL.
  • jdad1
    jdad1 Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    I can't tell you
  • elbaldwin0525
    elbaldwin0525 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I wear a hoodie always at the gym. I refuse to wear at shirt. Out of habit

this. people look at me crazy too
  • SunofaBeach14
    Options

I actually agree with you that most of it is shyness/social anxiety but it's so often portrayed on here as badassery that I can't help but poke it with a stick. If you're shy, admit it. There's not a damn thing wrong with that. Just don't use your shyness as a way to claim that everyone else is so mean/dangerous/creepy/etc.

ETA: you/your = Royal you/your
  • DJ7203
    DJ7203 Posts: 497 Member
    Options

a lot of it has to do with social anxiety, for me. and just wanting to get in and out. i'm not trying to impress anyone, with or without an attitude. i just want to be left alone.

Me too! I don't go to the gym to make friends or impress anyone. I just want to do my thing & leave. I'm a very introverted person. That's just how I am, I'll never change. I also wouldn't expect anyone to change how they are. Everyone is different, that's what makes the world go around.
  • michellemybelll
    Options

I actually agree with you that most of it is shyness/social anxiety but it's so often portrayed on here as badassery that I can't help but poke it with a stick. If you're shy, admit it. There's not a damn thing wrong with that. Just don't use your shyness as a way to claim that everyone else is so mean/dangerous/creepy/etc.

ETA: you/your = Royal you/your
    cool. i gotchya.