What to do when shoe inserts give you blisters?

Options
_rachel_k
_rachel_k Posts: 243 Member
I have just started jogging. Wednesday was day 1 and today was day 2 (yay me)

Well I have the Dr. Scholls custom orthotic inserts in my shoes and it would seem that my foot gets pinched in between the insert (it is a 3/4 length) and my shoe because I have big blisters/sores on both of my feet. My arches fall when I put weight on my foot so I need arch support when walking/running or else I get shin splints so going without isn't an option and I don't really have a lot of money to spend on "special" arch support shoes.

Replies

• SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    1) Save up for shoes that are fitted for you (about the price of 3x of your inserts, which you'd buy anyway)
    2) Quit running and do something else
    3) Continue running, HTFU
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Are you sure that you have the right size insert? The inserts should fit right in the place of the original ones that came with the shoe (you did take those out, right?) . I do not think this should be an issue if you have the right size inserts. Also, maybe you could try a different brand. I am not familiar with the Dr. Sholls brand, but the Superfeet brand are sold at most running stores and are made for this purpose.
  • _rachel_k
    Options
    lporter229: the inserts are 3/4 size meaning they don't go all the way to the end of my shoes. I guess I should also specify that I'm getting the blisters on the inside bottom of the foot, on the same side as my big toe and a little down , kind of where the arch starts. No, I didn't take the original insert out, because the inserts I have are not full length.

carrieendara: how do these go into shoes with inserts?
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    Why can't you use full length inserts? I would try getting fitted for shoes so that you don't need inserts. Shin splints can offer with or without and happen for most new runners regardless.
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    i was looking at engo patches myself. ended up using a blister stick (similar to bodyglide) instead. works like a charm.

if your problem is the insert moving around, why not tape it to the original insert with athletic tape?

depending on how your shoe fits, you may also want to look into different ways of lacing your shoes, to get proper fit without pinching (i always have to experiment a bit, but the difference between bar lacing and crossed etc is huge. - i hate it when my foot moves inside the shoe, but can't stand the pressure of laces atop...)
  • twikoff
    twikoff Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    did you cut your inserts based on the predrawn size lines on them?
    I found this to be pretty ineffective, because not all shoes run the same
    instead, pull the insert out that originally came with your shoe, and trip back the replacement inserts using the originals as a guide

if you're already doing that.. i got nothing

tie your shoes tighter, so there is less movement?
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    if i understand it right - the op is using those dr sholls custom fitted inserts - http://www.footmapping.ca/index.html

how they would work with or without the original insert baffles me, but you can always phone and ask them to explain it to you.
  • _rachel_k
    Options
    wilsoje74: I never said I can't use full length, my inserts don't come full length.

froeschli: I'm not sure if the insert is moving around or not. With my foot hurting as bad as it does, I may just buy the giant gauze bandages and tape up my foot for the first few days next week and test out other stuff after my foot has healed. And yes, those are my inserts.

twikoff: the inserts come at 3/4 size. No cutting.
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    Make Blister-ade.
  • alathIN
    alathIN Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Another vote for ditch the inserts and get properly fitted shoes. Go to a running oriented store, not a sports department store.
  • Eric_DeCastro
    Eric_DeCastro Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I bought my in soles from the running store i bought my shoes from. they were heated and custom fit to my foot. You should look into that. and also non-cotton socks.
  • _rachel_k
    Options
    LazSommer: *groan* lol

alathIN: If I knew I wouldn't be paying $200 for a pair of shoes, I would go get properly fitted shoes. I don't have that kind of money :(
  • Eric_DeCastro
    Options

alathIN: If I knew I wouldn't be paying $200 for a pair of shoes, I would go get properly fitted shoes. I don't have that kind of money :(

yes my first pair of shoes and in soles cost me $190 but I put a lot of miles on my shoes, I have since bought a second pair of shoes and same in soles so I only paid $90 on sale. people who say running is free don't run. I have spent so much on this "free" exercise.
  • Eric_DeCastro
    Options

CEP compression socks are $50 and there is overdrive compression sox are $100 for one pair.
  • hermann341
    hermann341 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    I recommend SuperFeet full length inserts. I use the green ones as I have plantar fasciitis. Until the blister subsides (or pops), use moleskin. Comes in sheets and you cut it a half inch to an inch larger than the area of concern.
  • _rachel_k
    Options
    Do you think that by using a full length insert, I won't have the pinching problem I do now? It's not at the end of the insert, but at the side.
  • hermann341
    hermann341 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    The SuperFeet insert is bigger than your foot, so you can cut it to match the shape of your foot. I tried some 3/4 inserts, but they shifted around too much, which is likely what is happening in your shoe.
  • _rachel_k
    Options
    Maybe... I know at the beginning of my first run on Wednesday it was fine but the last 10 minutes was painful. Today I had bandaids on......... not enough.
  • BigVeggieDream
    BigVeggieDream Posts: 1,101 Member
    Options
    I get blister on the back of my heels and sometimes on the arch of my foot. I just tape the spots with first aid paper tape and the blisters stopped.