What to do when shoe inserts give you blisters?

Options
2»

Replies

• BigVeggieDream
    BigVeggieDream Posts: 1,101 Member
    Options
    1) Save up for shoes that are fitted for you (about the price of 3x of your inserts, which you'd buy anyway)

Properly fitted shoes doesn't negate the need for orthotics. I had my shoes fitted at a good running shoe store and I still need an orthotic on my left foot for my fallen arch.
  • BigVeggieDream
    BigVeggieDream Posts: 1,101 Member
    Options
    The SuperFeet insert is bigger than your foot, so you can cut it to match the shape of your foot. I tried some 3/4 inserts, but they shifted around too much, which is likely what is happening in your shoe.

Inserts are not the same thing as orthotics. Even custom made orthotics prescribed by a podiatrist is 3/4 length. I've never seen a full length orthotic.
  • aliakynes
    aliakynes Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    It's your socks, not your shoes.

Look up non-cotton running socks.
  • _rachel_k
    _rachel_k Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Bloom72: actually the inserts I got from the chiropractor are full length but sooooo hard. All the cushioning is just a layer of fsbric with the company name. I tried using them for t25 and my feet were sore before my body was tired so I took lots of breaks to calm my feet
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    LazSommer: *groan* lol

alathIN: If I knew I wouldn't be paying $200 for a pair of shoes, I would go get properly fitted shoes. I don't have that kind of money :(
    most of my shoes are less than $75. I buy the last seasons model. I would ditch those inserts ASAP
  • wilsoje74
    Options
    Maybe... I know at the beginning of my first run on Wednesday it was fine but the last 10 minutes was painful. Today I had bandaids on......... not enough.
    anything causing this much pain is NOT WORKING!! Get good shoes and you won't need inserts at all
  • wilsoje74
    Options
    Bloom72: actually the inserts I got from the chiropractor are full length but sooooo hard. All the cushioning is just a layer of fsbric with the company name. I tried using them for t25 and my feet were sore before my body was tired so I took lots of breaks to calm my feet
    who said you needed inserts at all?
  • LucasEVille
    LucasEVille Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    "Blisters are Braille for awesome"
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    Superfeet!!! I really love them and never get blisters since I've been wearing them, even on long runs. I'm a believer.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Try taping your arches with athletic tape instead of using inserts. It takes a while to get the tightness levels just right, but if you learn to do it well, it can be just as effective as those expensive inserts.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    UN-insert them.

I think?
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    lporter229: the inserts are 3/4 size meaning they don't go all the way to the end of my shoes. I guess I should also specify that I'm getting the blisters on the inside bottom of the foot, on the same side as my big toe and a little down , kind of where the arch starts. No, I didn't take the original insert out, because the inserts I have are not full length.

carrieendara: how do these go into shoes with inserts?

Sorry about the misinformation. I am not familiar with this type of insert. If what you have is not working for you, you may need to try something different. As others have said, the Superfeet (full length) inserts are good. many of the inserts are very rigid and can hurt until you get used to them. This usually takes 4-5 runs. Also, wear cushioned socks.

As far as getting fitted for proper shoes at a running store goes, it is pretty much a must if you are going to be running regularly. Keep in mind that you do not need to pay a lot for shoes. I have NEVER paid over $100 for my shoes. If you go to a good running store and give them your price range, they will find something that works for you in that range. You may pay $5-10 more at the store than what you can find it for on line, but most people will accept this as part of the fee for the service. Most good stores will also let you return the shoe if it doesn't end up working for you. Once you find one you like, stick with it and just order you subsequent pairs on line.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I've had foot issues for years thanks to genetics and being obese for WAY too long. Due to this, I've tried several shoes and inserts along the way. I also learned the hard way that those half ones are pretty much useless.

For full length inserts, I love Spencos. They're only around $20 and work fantastic. You definitely need to take out your shoes originally lining so there's enough room. And yes, I think the lack of shifting will prevent the blisters. Also make sure you're wearing socks that are thin and snug on your feet so there's less friction.

Yes custom fitted shoes can help but if you've got serious foot issues, that's not always enough and inserts are needed.

Good luck!
  • _rachel_k
    Options
    wilsoje74: the chiropractor told me I needed inserts when I went in with complaints of shin splints. My arches fall when I put weight on my foot. The inserts he gave me are hard and my feet get sore and tired before I do.

LucasEVille: haha I like this

sistrsprkl: can you get them from a store or online only?

AllOutof_Bubb: The thought of the tape interests me... is the athletic tape the stuff I see at SportCheck that people put on their shins or something else?

lporter229: I could handle paying just over $100 for "special" shoes. My friend said I could be paying up to $180 at RunningRoom for shoes.. that's a little pricey for me.

MinnieInMaine: Are those inserts in store or online? My socks are pretty thin (they're the athletic brand socks from Walmart)
  • littlefoot612
    littlefoot612 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I just read your OP. As somebody who has worn orthotics for almost 30 years I have to say, first off, if you're buying Dr Scholl's off the shelf, they are not "custom" orthotics. They are made to fit an average foot, regardless of the 'number', and may not actually be the best thing for your feet. The only way to truly get a custom orthotic is to visit a podiatrist or orthotist and have them made specifically for your foot. This isn't cheap (mine were $500 Canadian) but they are often covered through health insurance. Mine were covered through my husbands benefits falling under the same category as a chiropractor. The orthotics can be used in your different shoes. You only get one pair of feet, there is no replacement surgery (I so wish) as for knees and hips so investing in proper orthotics, if you need them, is a worthwhile investment in the long run.
  • _rachel_k
    Options
    littlefoot612: You're right, they're not TRULY custom fit. I do have the $500 chiropractor inserts, they are full size BUT they are so hard they hurt my feet so I went looking for something else to use. I used to do T25 and 10 minutes in I was pausing my video so my feet would stop burning.
  • littlefoot612
    littlefoot612 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I would suggest you visit a podiatrist or orthotist, not a chiropractor. Over the year I have had different orthotics made from different materials. The ones I had from my chiropractor were the least comfortable and did the least for me. I have a wonderful pedorthist now at a renowned sports medicine clinic. I hope you find relief, I know exactly what it's like to have every step you take feel like a hot spike is being driven through your arch.
    Christine
  • _rachel_k
    Options
    littlefoot612: It would be nice if there was a way for me to just make the ones I currently have more comfortable without the added cost and time to get new ones (My 5K's are July 5th, a month and a day away!)